Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Texas HPDE and Track Days

Berserker

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'23 CT4-V Blackwing 6MT #Riftgang
We've got a bunch of Blackwing guys here in Texas. And several of them have track experience. At least two different threads in New Member Introductions have devolved into discussions about track days. So I'm creating this thread for us to consolidate the discussion. Enjoy!

My background: back from 2004 through 2006 or 2007 I did about 10 track days in my '03 Evo VIII. I drove at TWS (R.I.P.), MSR-Cresson, and MSR-Houston. I did events hosted by NASA, the TWS club, Driver's Edge, and one of the first track days at MSR-Houston after it opened was hosted by (I think) a Mustang club. I've also done a couple of sessions on others cars (a Boxster and a C6 Vette), took a drifting class, and did a session in an E60 M5 at Lime Rock (long story). I've been in a couple of indoor karting leagues. I've also been a passenger in a car driven around the Nurburgring by a Le Mans-winning driver, which was just as spectacular as you would think it would be.

My most recent vehicle ownership has been an '03 Evo VIII for 6 years, a '10 Evo X for 6 years, a '17 WRX for 1 year (too slow and boring), and an '18 WRX STI for 5 years. Traded the STI into my Cadillac dealer 2 weeks ago, for credit against my upcoming Blackwing. I also have an '18 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X.

I posted this in another forum but will add here. $275 + fee + tax for 6 sessions at MSR. I haven't done the event before but I believe each session is around 15 minutes, roughly 6 or 7 laps. Lunch will be provided

I'd be down to get involved. I've never done any track driving, but I would love to.

I'm in Houston but never tracked any vehicles. Looking forward to trying out CT5-BW on track, if ever it arrives :)

I posted this in another forum but will add here.

When did "MSR" start standing for "Motor Speedway Resort"? It was "MotorSport Ranch" back in the day. LOL.

UNITED Track Experience & Car Show​

by HYPE Events & Promotions

Never heard of these folks. I followed the HYPE link, and this is what I found:

"HYPE Events & Promotions is a solution-oriented experiential agency with extensive brand experience from the principality of event engagement, activations, & strategy. Our team delivers solutions through effective innovative ideas, brand impact, & memorable experiences."

That personally makes me nervous. If I'm taking my $70k car out on the track, I'm looking for it to be run by people who understand what running cars on a track is all about. There's zero information about their history running track events.

Based on what we see there, I would advise anyone without track experience to avoid this event. This sounds more like a "track day" than a "high performance driver education" event.

When did "MSR" start standing for "Motor Speedway Resort"? It was "MotorSport Ranch" back in the day. LOL.

Never heard of these folks. I followed the HYPE link, and this is what I found:

"HYPE Events & Promotions is a solution-oriented experiential agency with extensive brand experience from the principality of event engagement, activations, & strategy. Our team delivers solutions through effective innovative ideas, brand impact, & memorable experiences."

That personally makes me nervous. If I'm taking my $70k car out on the track, I'm looking for it to be run by people who understand what running cars on a track is all about. There's zero information about their history running track events.

Based on what we see there, I would advise anyone without track experience to avoid this event. This sounds more like a "track day" than a "high performance driver education" event.
It says they have 4 different groups. It's not HPDE but they will have instructors. I've got a buddy who's done it a few times in his ZL1 and the Giulia Quadrifoglio he had. I'm not sure if he signed up in his mustang or his scatpack but he hasn't told me of anything wild happening at their events

Nearly all my track experience is on two wheels not four. I've done the usual suspects here in Texas;
MSRH
MSRC
ECR
GSS
TWS ( RIP)
Harris Hill
COTA
I've also gotten to do days at :
NOLA
Jennings
Road Atlanta
Hallet
WildHorse Pass
Laguna

My only experience in cars has been a few days nursing a zl1 and blasting a G8 around MSRH and GSS. That's partly what shaped my decision to go with a 4 instead of the 5, at both the tracks where I have access to the most, the zl1 mostly just spins up the rear or has to be nursed out of the corners and really doesn't stretch its legs at all so its more a chore to wrangle than the G8 which will also light up the rear, but is able to get more of its power down quicker because there is less of it, so for me it was way more fun, pushing myself and the car, than concentrating on managing the car. As for the big power tracks like COTA if the dynamics hold true for Cars as they do for bikes, the big power, heavier vehicles aren't really that much quicker 2 and half seconds a lap maybe, but they go through brakes and tires almost three times as fast...

I'd be glad to do the event but it would likely be in the Pontiac since my 4 isn't scheduled to be built until next week....

Ha. That's literally every "HPDE" event I've done, except one. If you aren't a complete moron, they are fine to do, the biggest risk factor being OTHER DRIVERS. As for the one real HPDE, I had been tracking for a few years and decided to get some real instruction at VIR, and it was not worth my time at ALL. I've yet to do one, but a place like Spring Mountain, Porsche Experience, or an SCCA license school, are probably where you want to go to get some good instruction.

So this is mostly directed at the 4bw folks, but is there any interest in Houston for a handling focused, casual-ish track day (not autocross) that takes place on an outdoor kart track?

Not discriminating against the 5bw, but the track is probably too tight for over 600 hp...

So this is mostly directed at the 4bw folks, but is there any interest in Houston for a handling focused, casual-ish track day (not autocross) that takes place on an outdoor kart track?

Not discriminating against the 5bw, but the track is probably too tight for over 600 hp...
what track is it?

Speedsportz
I took a look it on Google Maps satellite view. I don't think I'd be comfortable with the runoff in a full-size car.

Look like it would be a blast in karts, though. Many moons ago I got together with some of the guys from NASA (National Auto Sport Association) running karts at Track 21. Was a ton of fun.

If I ever track my car, I'll definitely be looking at MSR-Houston. And I supposed I would have to seriously consider COTA. MSR-Cresson would be on the list, too, since that is where I first drove on track. And there there was a Braum's right down the street from the hotel I would stay at. Holy hell, I love Braum's. Only good thing about Dallas ...

Yes, and in addition to the tracks above, grandsport in Hitchcock just north of Galveston is extremely economical, though admittedly spartan tight road course .

It's a blast. I drove my '16 950hp CTS-V on this track and had a great time. I've always known MSR as MotorSport Ranch. The 5BW would not have any issues at all!

At Spring Mountain currently and the itch to drive at the limit has risen again. Reviving this thread to see if we have any interest in planning a track day

The closest track for me is Harris Hill. I do want to get my car out on track, but it will likely be a more cautious outing than Spring Mountain since it's my own car. I might look into karting or something until then, and keep up with autox in San Antonio.

Yes definitely more cautious. Track day insurance is not cheap neither are the consumables these types of cars eat. Even something like an autoX we can all sign up for would be cool. I know we are spread out across this not-so-small state

AutoX will be cheaper by far, but nothing replaces hot lapping for learning yourself and the car. MSRH is a blast and perfect for sub 600hp cars.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back