Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Sell or Trade?

ajamils

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-BW (Sold)
My CT5-BW has been stuck in the MP/Delayed prison for almost a month so I'm hoping that it will get released soon. So that brings me to question of what would be the best way to buy it. I currently have 2021 Durango Hellcat and I've been debating whether to sell it our right (which should bring more money) or just trade it, which should bring me tax advantage and least headache. I have never traded a vehicle to dealer before but considering how the market currently is, most dealers are offering better trade-in values than in the past.

Those who recently picked up blackwings recently, did you do a trade a vehicle or buy outright?

My CT5-BW has been stuck in the MP/Delayed prison for almost a month so I'm hoping that it will get released soon. So that brings me to question of what would be the best way to buy it. I currently have 2021 Durango Hellcat and I've been debating whether to sell it our right (which should bring more money) or just trade it, which should bring me tax advantage and least headache. I have never traded a vehicle to dealer before but considering how the market currently is, most dealers are offering better trade-in values than in the past.

Those who recently picked up blackwings recently, did you do a trade a vehicle or buy outright?
All depends on your situation. I traded my M2C for my blackwing, then my blackwing for my current car. Between tax savings and high trade value, it would have only gotten me about $750 more to sell outright. Wasn't worth the hassle to me.

I sold my Golf R privately...dealer was giving me ridiculously low prices for trade in...even with sales tax savings it wasn't worth it. I almost went with ALGO (they gave me the best price) but then I found a private buyer. Give ALGO a shot and see what they offer. I think they only buy within a few states though.

Forgot to mention, keep in mind if you have a willing buyer and a willing dealer, you can do a passthrough sell and still get the savings (assuming you sell very close to when you BW arrives and buyer of the Durango is willing to wait.

You pay the dealership paperwork fee and they take your durango in on "trade" just to turn around and sell it to your buyer. I'll be honest though, in this environment, good luck

My 4BW hasn't been built yet, but I sold my current car to make room in the garage and the budget.

My dealer offered me $1,000 less than CarMax, but with the sales tax benefit it came out to a better deal by a little over $1,000.

Carvana offered me a little more than CarMax. With the tax benefit the dealer still barely beat Carvana, but even if they hadn't I might still have have sold the car to the dealer. What I've read about Carvana's business practices made me want to avoid getting wrapped up with them, if possible.

I never seriously considered a private sale. IMHO, selling it privately would count as a "job", and it's not a job I ever want to have to do. Additionally, I was selling an '18 Subaru WRX STI and the engines in those have a reputation for just kinda blowing up out of nowhere. There was a nonzero possibility of my selling to to someone, the engine blowing up, and them coming back to me about it. Plus all the weird car-buying scams that go on. Just not worth the potential hassle to me.

My old car depreciated less than $100/month for the 59 months I owned it. What a weird-ass time to be in the car market.

Last edited:
I tried selling a vehicle to Carvana about 8 months ago. They beat everyone’s price. Sent them all the documents they asked for then communication with them went dead. They never answered emails nor phone calls.
Finally decided to pull the plug on the deal. Drove to Carmax and their offer came up to within $100 of Carvana. From the time I walked into Carmax till I walked out with a check was less than 90 minutes.

Do you owe anything on the Durango? If so, that alone would push me toward trade in rather than dealing with a private sale for a car to which you don't have the title. Or pay it off first, get the title, then do a private sale.

Also: a private sale will likely net you more money, but will be far more effort and hassle. How much is your time worth?

Do you owe anything on the Durango? If so, that alone would push me toward trade in rather than dealing with a private sale for a car to which you don't have the title. Or pay it off first, get the title, then do a private sale.

Also: a private sale will likely net you more money, but will be far more effort and hassle. How much is your time worth?
Yes, I owe quite a bit on Durango. I've only owned it for about 5 months.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back