Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V What Tires

Cadillac CT4-V model

strohw

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4-BW
Trying to decide on what tires I should go with. Currently, the front TPC spec are on back order and Tirerack is saying not to expect them until June or July. I talked to my dealer earlier in the week and none of their suppliers have any and their GM dealer network showed 4 in stock on Tuesday. Today I went in and grabbed the list and it showed 2 in stock, of which I called and they are spoken for.

So, I have track days in May and need tires. I can either:
- Run all standard 4S
- Run standard 4S in front and TPC in rear
- Try out the new ExtremeContact Sport 02 that released last November but doesn't really have reviews

I don't want to run any of the 200TW tires as the roads I daily on do have issues with water retention when it rains hard. I have no desire to have traction issues in the wet that these tires bring.

I'm looking at Costco right now and see the Cadillac specific set of 4 OEM tires on sale for $1,157.88 installed. Shouldn't be a problem to order front tires there.

I'm looking at Costco right now and see the Cadillac specific set of 4 OEM tires on sale for $1,157.88 installed. Shouldn't be a problem to order front tires there.
I just checked their site and they have the OEM rears but not the fronts. It doesn't say OEM under the name and the item code on the fronts matches their standard stock 4S item code.

upload.jpg

I wonder if we're seeing regional inventory differences? I'm in the Seattle area and using the app on the phone and seeing availability below. I’m also seeing a separate part # for the front Cadillac spec tires as item # 1519051. If this is similar to my experience with the 5BW, I’m guessing one has the foam insert and one doesn’t. Either way, I’ve gone into the warehouse to have them order from the distributor when they’re showing no availability.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230421_093754_Costco.jpg
    Screenshot_20230421_093754_Costco.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I wonder if we're seeing regional inventory differences? I'm in the Seattle area and using the app on the phone and seeing this:
Do you see where the Rear has " Original Equipment: Cadillac" under it but the Front doesn't? That's their site substituting the standards 4S in place of the OEM tire.

Crap, that's bad implementation. So it is the 1519051 item number which is showing out of stock. I've had good luck going to the counter and having them order from the distributor when they're showing out of stock in the past (ordered the first replacement set at Costco in Nov '21 when item numbers weren't in their books yet.)

If I need a replacement set before the TPCs are in (likely if it's June or July), I'll roll the regular 4S. Can't be that different and while I've confirmed that the TPCs are great on track, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference.

Michelin also just released the 5S so maybe those will pop up in our sizes soon.

What did you end up doing? Time for me to get new tires and I'm wondering if I should just get the standard 4S. TPC seems to be over a month out.

What did you end up doing? Time for me to get new tires and I'm wondering if I should just get the standard 4S. TPC seems to be over a month out.
I'm still OK so haven't looked around. The June/July reference was to the original TPC timeline. I would still just throw the normal 4S on and call it a day if I needed them now.

I'm still OK so haven't looked around. The June/July reference was to the original TPC timeline. I would still just throw the normal 4S on and call it a day if I needed them now.

Yeah. My heart is telling me it should have the TPC because that's what it's "supposed" to have, but my brain is telling me that it really doesn't make a difference. Lol.

Tirerack is showing the fronts in stock now. If you select 2 of them they're showing delivery for me on Monday. If you don't track the car then honestly it doesn't matter.

Tirerack is showing the fronts in stock now. If you select 2 of them they're showing delivery for me on Monday. If you don't track the car then honestly it doesn't matter.
Tend to agree here. You might give up a couple of tenths on a lap at the limit. Most of us don't drive 10/10, even on a track anyway. I certainly don't.

Tend to agree here. You might give up a couple of tenths on a lap at the limit. Most of us don't drive 10/10, even on a track anyway. I certainly don't.

I agree. If the tires start to feel greasy near the end of a session I just pull in. It's not a big deal and if it was I'd buy another set of wheels and drive 200TW tires to the track.

FYI - I burned through the original fronts in 3.5 track days - that was Twenty (20 minutes) track sessions/heat cycles. I had to limp home from the track at lunch. The driver's side front outer edge had chunks coming off. Per the owner's manual - Track life is 100 miles. Reference the - Track Events and Competitive Driving (V-Series and V-Series Blackwing) section:

1688051415344.png

If that is true, the we are talking about $1500 per track day, YIKES!

FYI - I burned through the original fronts in 3.5 track days - that was Twenty (20 minutes) track sessions/heat cycles. I had to limp home from the track at lunch. The driver's side front outer edge had chunks coming off. Per the owner's manual - Track life is 100 miles. Reference the - Track Events and Competitive Driving (V-Series and V-Series Blackwing) section:

View attachment 19874

Ouch. Yea, I’ll switch to stock size 200TW Kuhmo V730s rather than stick with the stock Michelins. Endurance 200s can take more heat cycles and longer lasting tread than the PS4S while having more ultimate grip. Though I understand why it shouldn’t be on a daily driven vehicle.

You're over driving the stock tires. The 4S isn't going to last if you're running intermediate pace or higher as they're a street summer tire. Like mentioned, you need to upgrade to a 200TW tire. If you're killing your fronts after 3 track days and running the full track alignment then you should probably be on 200TW tires, track pads and fluid. It's going to save you money as they're going to last longer and they don't cost anymore than OEM.

Any concerns with running X load tires purely on the track vs. XL? The V730's aren't an option for the 5VBW b/c of the load rating, but if you're only using them on track days and swapping back to the OEM's for the street, would that be a concern? I would think braking from 130 down to 40 as you go into the apex of a corner would but a ton of load on that front outside tire.

Any concerns with running X load tires purely on the track vs. XL? The V730's aren't an option for the 5VBW b/c of the load rating, but if you're only using them on track days and swapping back to the OEM's for the street, would that be a concern? I would think braking from 130 down to 40 as you go into the apex of a corner would but a ton of load on that front outside tire.

Regardless of the sl vs xl load rating, the 200TW tires are going to have much stiffer sidewalls than the OEM PS4.

Ouch. Yea, I’ll switch to stock size 200TW Kuhmo V730s rather than stick with the stock Michelins. Endurance 200s can take more heat cycles and longer lasting tread than the PS4S while having more ultimate grip. Though I understand why it shouldn’t be on a daily driven vehicle.
You're over driving the stock tires. The 4S isn't going to last if you're running intermediate pace or higher as they're a street summer tire. Like mentioned, you need to upgrade to a 200TW tire. If you're killing your fronts after 3 track days and running the full track alignment then you should probably be on 200TW tires, track pads and fluid. It's going to save you money as they're going to last longer and they don't cost anymore than OEM.
Thanks for the feedback on tires. Yes, you are right about me overdriving everything - tires, brakes, etc. I am going to make a separate post on the brake pads. I just completed a track prep overhaul. I expect that the rear tires, which I did not change out yet, and the new fronts will be toast by the time I finish my 5th July track day at VIR. I will need tires, and new rotors. Hopefully, my new trackpads will hold up.

Attachments

• Brake Pad Replacement - 6-27-2023.mp4
    114.8 MB
FYI - I burned through the original fronts in 3.5 track days - that was Twenty (20 minutes) track sessions/heat cycles. I had to limp home from the track at lunch. The driver's side front outer edge had chunks coming off. Per the owner's manual - Track life is 100 miles ...

I can believe it. Also factor in brake pads and the cost of putting on a track alignment and then converting it back to street alignment. Also that first diff fluid change. It adds up.

My recollection from doing HPDE 16 years ago in an Evo VIII was that it was costing me about $600/weekend in consumables (tires, brake pads).

I met a guy met a guy at Texas World Speedway (R.I.P.) who was in a Miata. He owned a Vette and had started out tracking that, but calculated it was costing him $1000/weekend in consumables. It was cheaper for him to just buy an whole 'nother car solely for track duty.

There are a bunch of guys on this forum for whom those numbers are trivial. I am not one of those guys, LOL.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back