Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Retrofit carbon ceramic brakes?

bob53

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
‘23 CT5V-BW 6MT on order
Hi all. - great to be here and jointing the “club” soon. I have a CT5V-BW (wave metallic, manual) on order through a local dealer that got me allocation within 3 weeks from order placement. It happened a bit faster than I anticipated and the salesman was gone for the week when the order allocation window opened and closed… He was supposed to ping me but the allocation caught both of us by surprise. I’m now at 3000 so there is no turning back or tweaking the order now… I was on the fence re: getting the carbon ceramic brakes and left the tentative order as standard steel rotors. I am not going to track the car but not having brake dust is really appealing (My C7 Z06 and C7 ZR1 both have them). Has anyone retrofitted the carbon ceramics on the CT5V Blackwing? This was doable with the C7 Z06 without needing software updates but not sure if that still applies with the new ECUs and the global B architecture. Ignoring the cost, is this retrofit possible?

Thanks,

Bob

it is possible, but you don't want to do it. the programming is different on the magride to compensate for the different unsprung weight when it comes to rebound. if all you're concerned with is to reduce brake dust and you aren't planning on pushing the car hard just wait until you can get some super low dust ceramic brake pads for the standard brakes

Can the magride be reprogrammed at the dealer?

it is possible, but you don't want to do it. the programming is different on the magride to compensate for the different unsprung weight when it comes to rebound. if all you're concerned with is to reduce brake dust and you aren't planning on pushing the car hard just wait until you can get some super low dust ceramic brake pads for the standard brakes
Hmm.

It's more than that ad Mirza explained. Different sensors/harness and software.

It's more than that ad Mirza explained. Different sensors/harness and software.
Not arguing but this was also said about C7 Z06 without CCBs (the need for sensors, etc) and Katech and others had no problem retrofitting… sounds like it is a bit of work, would still like to consider this at some point.… because I am crazy :)

Not arguing but this was also said about C7 Z06 without CCBs (the need for sensors, etc) and Katech and others had no problem retrofitting… sounds like it is a bit of work, would still like to consider this at some point.… because I am crazy :)
Still a brand new platform. Hard to say what is and isn’t possible.

The Blackwing presents a few challenges over the C7Z. Global B being the big one. There are lots of systems in the car that need to know about the brake type. Since it’s a brake-by-wire car, the ECU knowing CCB vs iron is essential.

As others have said, the MagRide is calibrated differently depending on brake also. DSC is stalled on their MRC controller for the C8 (which also uses new generation MRC) because of Global B.

But maybe you are the guy to spend the time and money required to find out what’s possible. Good luck!

I know we have one or two GM people on this website so I'm hoping they might eventually chime in...

Hi all, I was also wondering about switching to CC brakes. I tried finding the parts to do it, starting with the rotors, and found this:

I'm guessing the parts 85575887, 85575888, 85575889, 85575890 is what I need, judging by the prices. I'm a little confused - are these not interchangeable between sides? Why do they have 2 front driver options, 1 front passenger and 1 rear passenger, but not rear driver side, is that a typo on their end? I called a major online retailer and the guy said these are metal rotors, further confusing me.

Is there a shop anywhere in the Northeast who would take on this task? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm ordering 20x10 and 20x11 carbon fiber wheels. I was hoping to also go with CC brakes and reduce rotating unsprung mass by 120 lbs total!!

Last edited:
This topic came up some time earlier. Chief engineer for the Blackwing (Mirza) said it's not possible because of the different sensor/leads and software. You can install the physical hardware but it won't work well if at all as I recall.

Is there a link to that statement? Isn't it possible to reprogram the different software? Also, different sensors can be installed, right?
If software needs to change for the weight difference, does it also need to be changed if installing light carbon fiber wheels?

Is there a link to that statement? Isn't it possible to reprogram the different software? Also, different sensors can be installed, right?
If software needs to change for the weight difference, does it also need to be changed if installing light carbon fiber wheels?

Why not spend the 5 figures for the parts, install them, and then report back here to let us know if it works or if it was a waste of money? CCBs are one of those things that if people wanted them, they would have just got them from the get-go. Because they're cheaper as a package and installed from the factory rather than trying to retrofit a literal uncertainty.

People either want them or they don’t. Those that don’t want them, don’t have them and don’t care to want to retrofit them.

I have CCBs and didn’t have them on my order, but ended up picking up a new car inbound to the dealer. Now that I have them if I was gonna order another car I would definitely get them. I don’t really need them, but I really appreciate the advantages of them.

Why not spend the 5 figures for the parts, install them, and then report back here to let us know if it works or if it was a waste of money? CCBs are one of those things that if people wanted them, they would have just got them from the get-go. Because they're cheaper as a package and installed from the factory rather than trying to retrofit a literal uncertainty.

People either want them or they don’t. Those that don’t want them, don’t have them and don’t care to want to retrofit them.
Actually I didn't get them originally because I was told they were on a serious back order and I would be waiting for the car for much longer. Also, the roads in my area are not great; I think reducing the unsprung weight as much as possible will improve the ride quality (in addition to the performance and braking itself). Sometimes you don't know everything upfront... And I definitely didn't know about the difficulties of making software changes and wiring, otherwise I probably would've gone with them from the beginning. Finally, yes, I don't mind paying to get them, but at this point I don't even know how much it's going to be and if there is even a shop willing to do it, hence my questions here.

I decided that I would rather clean brake dust than pay $9000 for ceramic brakes on a car that I will probably never use on a track. I do regret not getting the video recorder for $1600.
There are aftermarket solutions for that. I have my eye on the VBOX and have been in email contact with their US office RaceLogic. They don't have a specific CAN bus setup file for the 5BW, but that should only be a mater of time.

Actually I didn't get them originally because I was told they were on a serious back order and I would be waiting for the car for much longer. Also, the roads in my area are not great; I think reducing the unsprung weight as much as possible will improve the ride quality (in addition to the performance and braking itself). Sometimes you don't know everything upfront... And I definitely didn't know about the difficulties of making software changes and wiring, otherwise I probably would've gone with them from the beginning. Finally, yes, I don't mind paying to get them, but at this point I don't even know how much it's going to be and if there is even a shop willing to do it, hence my questions here.

Getting lighter weight forged wheels would help with ride quality, though you won’t shed as much weight as a full CCB set and lightweight wheels. If the car wasn’t brake by wire, you could get away with the swap. But I imagine there’s probably some software related programming for the entire braking system that we aren’t really privy to.

I wanted them for a few reasons, but the $9k turned me off. I didn't stretch to get into the car, but it squashed the previous most expensive car I've ever bought by 10's of ,1,000's of $$, so I got skurd. Looking back I wish I would have just done it. Anyone on the fence sitting in front of the GM workbench, check that box!

After watching the first 30 seconds of the VBOX video, turned me off. I would much rather prefer just sticking a SD card into the dashboard and be done. I should've checked the Performance Data Recorder box. $1600 bucks doesn't seem like too much now, a year later.
******Just dawned on me.....today is my 5BW's 1st birthday !!!!!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back