Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Considering Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Leadfoot

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
To anyone considering carbon ceramic brakes, you should be aware that they are really “grabby” at low speeds when driving around town. The initial bite of the brakes is very strong even with VERY light pedal pressure. I have a 911 with them as well, and it feels exactly the same way. It takes a little bit of time to get used to, and even then, you will still occasionally hit the pedal a little too hard, and jerk the car when braking at low speeds, especially if wearing larger shoes. Probably not a spouse friendly option if they ever drive the car.

I haven’t done a full on panic stop from speed yet, but from how they feel, and from how gigantic the rotors are, I suspect the car can generate some major g-force braking. The no brake dust feature is really nice, but they are pricy, and it is pricy to replace the pads. The pads do last for ever on the street (though not on the track). Can anyone with the regular brakes comment on if they are on the agressive side at low speeds? I am not quite sure what the brake adjustment in the v-mode settings does, but I can’t imagine wanting it set to anything but the lowest setting on my car.

Interesting I have the CCBs on my blackwing as well as one of my Porsches and while certainly more initial bite than iron rotors I don’t find them to be overly grabby. However, I do actually prefer the pedal feel and modulation of irons at least when I go back to back from my Porsches with and without PCCBs. I can’t feel a different WRT to unsprung weight and I have no qualms freely admitting the primary motive for me to select the ceramics is lack of brake dust. In the case of the cadillac also because the 5BW is the first caddy to ever have the option for CCBs I thought it was a neat box to check for that reason as well.

Maybe grabby was the wrong word, pedal pressure needed is much lighter for the comparable braking rate on other performance vehicles with iron rotors. They engage perfectly smoothly and in a linear way, pedal inputs are just amplified. I have never had a brake by wire car,
and in my limited experience so far I would not have noticed any difference. Can you still feel it in the pedal when the abs engages? Does the v mode brake setting being raised higher give you more braking for comparable pedal position, or effect the brakes in some more subtle way.

I'm still getting used to the "tip in" of the brake on my non-BW 5V. I assume it is from the brake by wire (my first car with it). Unless you are extremely soft on the pedal, there is an initial and sudden bite that makes you think you jabbed the pedal. I really find it a bit of an annoyance, but not a buzz kill. Changing brake feel options does not seem to have an effect on it. I don't notice it in spirited driving-just around town stuff.

I'm still getting used to the "tip in" of the brake on my non-BW 5V ... there is an initial and sudden bite that makes you think you jabbed the pedal.

I test drove a non-BW 4V and my perception was the same as yours.

I never really noticed any mental adjustment period for myself. I did a pretty short stop yesterday at a light and it was very well behaved. The ABS didn’t engage so I wouldn’t classify it as a panic stop.

I never really noticed any mental adjustment period for myself. I did a pretty short stop yesterday at a light and it was very well behaved. The ABS didn’t engage so I wouldn’t classify it as a panic stop.
I mainly feel it when I have to make a somewhat relatively quick reaction, but not a hard stop. When I am rolling up to a stopping situation with advance awareness, I can modulate it more smoothly.
When I let my son drive, right away he said brakes seemed touchy.

I find this has to do more with the brake by wire then it does CCB's.

My C8 was the first car I drove with brake by wire, especially compared to other GM products I've owned or still do, (C7 Z06, Camaro ZL1 1LE) and I found the C8 brakes to be grabby even on the lowest brake setting. Compared to my Z06, which required a bit more effort.

Something you get used to, like many vehicles I always find the required brake effort to vary.

I find this has to do more with the brake by wire then it does CCB's.

My C8 was the first car I drove with brake by wire, especially compared to other GM products I've owned or still do, (C7 Z06, Camaro ZL1 1LE) and I found the C8 brakes to be grabby even on the lowest brake setting. Compared to my Z06, which required a bit more effort.

Something you get used to, like many vehicles I always find the required brake effort to vary.
I would bet on the BBW, too.

Certainly agree with the last statement as well.

I am not so sure the feel is because of brake-by-wire. The CCB brakes on the BW feel almost exactly like the CCB on my 2015 911 Turbo s (I think the rotors are similiar size too). The 911 is traditional boosted hydraulic.

I also find most modern cars have grabby brakes these days, basically anything developed for 2018+.

Every car I find has a different setup and I have to recalibrate initial brake effort whenever I jump into something else.

I've heard the CCBs can be slightly more grabby then the steelies but not enough that it should be a consideration vs the steels.

Last night I went to take out my bw and it made a horrible grinding and rubbing sound at less than 5 mph. I backed out of the driveway, passed my house and then stopped because the grinding noise was so loud. I just backed up and put it in the garage. I was on the way to my kids birthday dinner so I couldn't record the sound. I've seen in other threads that the standard brembo brakes can stick to the rotors at times. Do the CCB have that same problem? My car is always garaged and does not see weather. I worked on teaching my 20 year old son how to drive stick on Saturday. He didn't do anything unusual and was only going in and out of first and second around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes. At the end of his driving it started making the noise as I was putting it away. Then when I took it out yesterday it started right away. I'm worried to drive it now and don't want to have to get it towed to Cadillac.

Last night I went to take out my bw and it made a horrible grinding and rubbing sound at less than 5 mph. I backed out of the driveway, passed my house and then stopped because the grinding noise was so loud. I just backed up and put it in the garage. I was on the way to my kids birthday dinner so I couldn't record the sound. I've seen in other threads that the standard brembo brakes can stick to the rotors at times. Do the CCB have that same problem? My car is always garaged and does not see weather. I worked on teaching my 20 year old son how to drive stick on Saturday. He didn't do anything unusual and was only going in and out of first and second around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes. At the end of his driving it started making the noise as I was putting it away. Then when I took it out yesterday it started right away. I'm worried to drive it now and don't want to have to get it towed to Cadillac.
You might have a rock stuck somewhere or the pad is dragging. I'm assuming you did the visual inspection and saw nothing damaged. Try to figure out what wheel it's coming from and If you can get it in the air take a look at it. You may have to pull the wheel to see if it's on the inner side of the rotor. Be sure to get some pipe foam around those rotor edges you don't wanna chip them.

Yes I too have had a small rock stuck between a rotor & the dust shield. Sounds HORIBLE! A pebble with a liitle asphalt on it will stick to the dust shield. (not on a Blackwing as I still don't have one) Recommend checking...

You might have a rock stuck somewhere or the pad is dragging. I'm assuming you did the visual inspection and saw nothing damaged. Try to figure out what wheel it's coming from and If you can get it in the air take a look at it. You may have to pull the wheel to see if it's on the inner side of the rotor. Be sure to get some pipe foam around those rotor edges you don't wanna chip them.

Yes I too have had a small rock stuck between a rotor & the dust shield. Sounds HORIBLE! A pebble with a liitle asphalt on it will stick to the dust shield. (not on a Blackwing as I still don't have one) Recommend checking...
New asphalt rock stuck on mine, too. Terrible screech at low speed. Took a little bit to find it.

The rocks usually get stuck on the inner side of the front rotor, between the rotor and backing plate. I wouldn't start with removing a wheel, just turn the wheels so you can get a visual, might be able to see it.

I was able to spend a little time on it last night. It was the right rear brake pad. It was stuck to the rotor I think. I was able to drive back and forwards in front of my house a few times and apply the brakes firmly. The noise went away after several starts and stops. I'll have to keep an eye on it, or an ear... Thanks for the suggestions.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back