Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

OnStar Data Collection

AZHEAT

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
‘22 CT5-V Blackwing #68
I was messing around with the OnStar guardian app, as well as the My Cadillac app and discovered I’m no longer able to use either without paid subscription beyond the initial free trial period. Not a big deal, as I didn’t use either. However, I started to think about what potential OnStar benefit there was to me, so I contacted a rep. at OnStar. She informed me that I am not enrolled in Smart Driver and basically I get the monthly diagnostic reports with Cadillac Connected Access for 5 years from vehicle in-service date. I have zero interest in monthly diagnostic reports or Smart Driver. She said she could deactivate, but still gives me the ability to press the blue OnStar button in the event of an accident (My guess is I would have to give them my location verbally)

I may not fully understand the ramifications of “opting out”, however I didn’t like the idea of the relationship being very one-sided. I do understand that the cell phone in my pocket is collecting far more data about my whereabouts/habits, but my throttle position at any given time is sacred to me.

I may discover drawbacks unknown to me at the present time, but no connected access for now.

A few of us use Smart Driver and try to see how low we can get our scores due to acceleration and braking events...clearly won't qualify for insurance discounts!

I have had this car and the V3 email me notifications of flat tires using this setup and that was much more helpful than finding out last minute when I'm trying to get somewhere.

I too let the trial period for whatever it is expire. Used to be easy to just use a hot spot connection from my phone to use apps like the Weather app for the local radar (supports my OCD and desire to not drive through puddles with a black car) but have had issues of late getting it to work (car won't recognize the wi-fi connection.) I refuse to pay for another mobile line just to have this connectivity in the car...

It seems the OnStar stuff is much like SiriusXM. The price of service depends on what you can negotiate. I called them and it was not a short phone call. I use Pandora and it was burning through my phone battery like crazy even when on the charging pad. Anyway I got the connected services ($15/month) and unlimited data ($10/month) and a few months more of free service. Will probably cancel SiriusXM after my free trial ends in December even though it is only $5/month.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back