Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Change (Yes, another)

DonD

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
My CT4-V Blackwing is 2 days short of a month in my possession and 425 miles. I have scrupulously adhered to the breakin procedures in the owner's manual. Just got off the phone with a helpful Cadillac service manager. He looked at all the material available to him including factory guidance and found nothing that contradicts what's in the owner's manual.

I haven't seen the infamous 16 page post about oil changes, I'd appreciate someone giving me a link to it. A service writer at the dealership I bought the BW at shook his head about oil changes unless you have a floor lift. I should add that I have one of the special editions, mine the Road Atlanta IMSA version. No way in Hades could any floor jack get under the big chin spoiler and the side skirts make access to any pinch weld iffy.

I'm even wondering if a Race Ramp that give an additional 6" of clearance is adequate for a normal sized human to get under? Service writer suggested a home hydraulic lift. Not interested in that. Don

I have Race Ramps and they worked fine for me. The only new wrinkle that you may see is that GM has replaced the part number for the oil filter, its different than whats in the manual. Dealers are using 12731742 which most of the online parts retailers now list as a replacement for the 12707246. I did my own first oil change at 1600mi and just had the dealer do the freebie at 6300.

I have Race Ramps and they worked fine for me. The only new wrinkle that you may see is that GM has replaced the part number for the oil filter, its different than whats in the manual. Dealers are using 12731742 which most of the online parts retailers now list as a replacement for the 12707246. I did my own first oil change at 1600mi and just had the dealer do the freebie at 6300.
When you say the Race Ramps are working, does that mean removal of the front wheels? That is something that has been mentioned in other threads.

I've mentioned that I have one of the Track BWs, a Road Atlanta IMSA BW with a big, low, chin spoiler. Don't know if much of anything can drive up the ramps with that spoiler.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm new to this game, just laying out details that need to be dealt with. Thanks, Don

Last edited:
My ZL1 goes up the long race ramps just fine and gives enough room for activity under the front, on concrete garage floor. If was any doubt could use a 2x6 with one edge cut at angle to help the approach even more

these are what i have but i do see they make even less of angle approach ones

Last edited:
When you say the Race Ramps are working, does that mean removal of the front wheels? That is something that has been mentioned in other threads.

I've mentioned that I have one of the Track BWs, a Road Atlanta IMSA BW with a big, low, chin spoiler. Don't know if much of anything can drive up the ramps with that spoiler.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm new to this game, just laying out details that need to be dealt with. Thanks, Don

Im not sure how youd remove the front wheels with Race Ramps? The whole point is to drive up on them. By working I mean I can drive my car up on to them and work underneath from the tranny forward without too much difficulty, oil changes are fine. These ramps are 10" of lift.

I have the RR-XT-2 67-Inch XT 2-Piece Race Ramp, these are used for Vettes and Porsches and other low lip vehicles, I got the 2 piece since they are easier to store in my case. If you are really concerned they also sell a third piece RR-EX-14 67" Xtender or any number of other configs and lengths to suit your perceived needs.

Any ramps that you can get up on are fine for an oil change. You can make some shallow approach helpers with some wood if you don't want to pay for the expensive long taper ramps. A low profile jack with a pinch weld adapter should also work when you need to remove a wheel.

Don't listen to the dealer. They just want you to repeatedly bring it in to make some money off of you.

If you're feeling handy you can make your own ramps out of wood for a fraction of the price. Check Youtube for various designs. I'm eventually going to make my own, but it's going to be awhile before my second oil change.

I've used ramps but not Race Ramps on a car we used to have.

Thanks, I completely understand your remark about taking the wheels off. I think the infamous 16 page oil change thread might have said that.

Yes, 10" of lift would make a major difference and I can see that you'd be able to work under it with 10" of help. Thanks for the part numbers, very helpful. Don

FYI - The 16 page thread you've mentioned a few times is not about oil changes, it's about jacking up your Blackwing.

The general automotive consensus for a DIY oil change is ramps or a quick jack. A floor jack is an option, but its more cumbersome on the cars this forum is dedicated to. All lifting tools have varying levels of risk, but for me I'm most comfortable under a car on ramps over anything else.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back