Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Anyone else's 5BW burning through oil?

theprototype

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5V Blackwing
Just had to drop my car back off at the dealership after obtaining my second low oil warning this year in spite of a recent oil change. Both times have been less than 2000 miles after an oil change at the dealership. The first time the dealership said they found nothing wrong on their diagnostics and were not sure where the oil was going. They did an "oil consumption test" where I brought the car back 1000 miles later and said that the levels looked good. Well fast forward a few months and I got another warning. Anyone else having similar issues? No oil spots anywhere, don't think there's a leak. Only have 8k miles total on the car after receiving it June '22, never tracked.

They said they did. They weren't able to tell me how much though when I asked about it. Also didn't document the volume discarded when they re-did the oil change the first time.

You need to start your own baseline buy finding a level spot to park and only check after the car has sat overnight. As @1Evil55 said, step one is make sure you starting with the correct amount when cold.

I'm at about 2,200 miles with the first change at around 600 miles. I have not been able to measure any consumption in that time.

When I check it after it's sat for a while there doesn't show any oil on the dipstick. They said at the shop that since it's a dry sump you won't get an accurate reading if it has sit until it's cold or if it's been run for too long? Sounded weird to me. They said I should run it for 10-15mins from cold and then check to get an accurate reading. Never bothered to try it after that.

When I check it after it's sat for a while there doesn't show any oil on the dipstick. They said at the shop that since it's a dry sump you won't get an accurate reading if it has sit until it's cold or if it's been run for too long? Sounded weird to me. They said I should run it for 10-15mins from cold and then check to get an accurate reading. Never bothered to try it after that.
Find a new dealer. It’s not dry sump. Only Corvettes with LT4s have dry sumps. Camaros & 5 BWs with LT4s have wet sumps.

Honestly I probably just misremembered and switched the two. Update, got a text from the service tech that they think it's a faulty oil level sensor and theyre going to replace the part. Hopefully that's all there is to it!

Ummm….did you check the dipstick when the warning went off? If the level is fine on the dipstick but the sensor is giving a dash warning, then yes the sensor is faulty. I’m glad we have dipstick cause my past few Porsches and Audis did not, and I didn’t trust them.

Ummm….did you check the dipstick when the warning went off? If the level is fine on the dipstick but the sensor is giving a dash warning, then yes the sensor is faulty. I’m glad we have dipstick cause my past few Porsches and Audis did not, and I didn’t trust them.
Its a long story but like I mentioned above the dipstick wasn’t accurate for me. I took it to them with nothing showing on the dipstick and they said it was due to it being a wet/dry sump and that it had plenty of oil and I wasn’t checking it correctly. I took their word for it and since they said they fixed I didn’t bother with it again

I would take the lead on this diagnosis by ensuring you have the correct oil amount to start with.

Untitled.jpg

Does anyone bother to read the threads first lol.

I started a thread on this months ago. Of course I do not know the specifics, but I would bet money your dealer used the wrong oil. Think about who stocks the oil spec’d for our car? Not even the auto parts stores.

Have your oil changed again with the correct oil and see if the problem persists.

This is why I’m planning to do my own oil changes. Too many duds out there to get basic maintenance correct.

Its a long story but like I mentioned above the dipstick wasn’t accurate for me. I took it to them with nothing showing on the dipstick and they said it was due to it being a wet/dry sump and that it had plenty of oil and I wasn’t checking it correctly. I took their word for it and since they said they fixed I didn’t bother with it again

So, if your car is level and has not started or run for a few hours, then pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, put it back in then pull out and check the level. If it’s not showing any oil on it, then add perhaps a quart, then check the level again, till you see the level show on the dipstick. If it’s checked right after it’s shut down, then it might show a low level or not at all because the oil from the heads and coolers and other parts of the engine have not flowed back down into the oil pan, where the dipstick resides.

Thanks for the info guys, been checking dipsticks for 15 years somehow this is the first car I've had hurdles with. Hoping I won't have any further issues once the sensor is replaced.

Any wonder why America is just diving into the abyss of uselessness.............

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back