Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

No Lift Shifting?

2023 CT5-V Blackwing

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V Blackwing, Tookpossesion 3/31/23
I know you don’t let off the accelerator, but you still have to engage and disengage the clutch correct?

#noliftshiftingfordummies

Short answer is yes. You must still clutch in and out. Do it as quickly as you can. No Lift Shift should be active in any drive mode as long as you are over 5000 rpms and more than 80% throttle engagement. If you have the opportunity to go to Spring Mountain, that is a great time to learn how to do it. I had never used the system until I went.

Last edited:
Does this also apply to the 4BW?

Short answer is yes. You must still clutch in and out. Do it as quickly as you can. No Lift Shift should be active in any drive mode as long as you are over 4500 rpms and more than 80% throttle engagement. If you have the opportunity to go to Spring Mountain, that is a great time to learn how to do it. I had never used the system until I went.
In my experience you need to be (in a 4BW) over 6k RPMS and at 100% throttle. Anything less than fully floored and it will not happen.

My experience is similar to throats. Above 3500 and right foot pinned to the floor or it doesn't work.

Becareful because these cars run out real estate lightning quick when pinned, and you're in the triple digits by 3rd.

Short answer is yes. You must still clutch in and out. Do it as quickly as you can. No Lift Shift should be active in any drive mode as long as you are over 4500 rpms and more than 80% throttle engagement. If you have the opportunity to go to Spring Mountain, that is a great time to learn how to do it. I had never used the system until I went.
Manual states:
No Lift-Shift
The vehicle can be shifted up a gear when the accelerator pedal is pressed to the floor without being released. This allows for less power interruption and will improve acceleration times. This feature is available in all vehicle modes and is only active when the engine speed is greater than 5000 rpm

No lift shifting is addictive when done properly. In my opinion the cadillac implementation has two too many prerequisites, over 5k RPM and WOT. It makes it pretty much a track use only item or 0-60 1-2 shift on the street. Anything else and you are approaching jail territory. If either of the two variables is even slightly off the no lift shift doesn’t work. I’d guess if you aren’t loving it you may not be doing it “correctly”. I have no lift shift in another car of mine and it works at all levels of throttle input and at any RPM. I think it would be hard not to love a no lift shift it is terribly addictive.

No lift shifting is addictive when done properly. In my opinion the cadillac implementation has two too many prerequisites, over 5k RPM and WOT. It makes it pretty much a track use only item or 0-60 1-2 shift on the street. Anything else and you are approaching jail territory. If either of the two variables is even slightly off the no lift shift doesn’t work. I’d guess if you aren’t loving it you may not be doing it “correctly”. I have no lift shift in another car of mine and it works at all levels of throttle input and at any RPM. I think it would be hard not to love a no lift shift it is terribly addictive.
I think I've done one or two 1-2. 2-3 and 3-4 are fun, though. 😁

Its just more evidence that throttle-by-wire is taking control away from your right foot..... :(

Just a side note. If you are new to the car and this type of driving, it would be advised to leave the traction control fully on for the first few 1-2 shifts, especially on the 5 BW. The car can easily get away from you if this is a little new to you. On most roads the traction control will shut you down pretty hard on that 1-2 shift but it will help you to not be surprised the first few times so you can anticipate it.

Every time I’ve done the no lift shift I don’t exactly… love it. I’m sure it shaves off 0.1 seconds or something but it still feels “Wrong”
I find NLS to be immensely satisfying. You definitely have to re-wire your brain and I don't think it will ever feel "natural", but the sound and almost uninterrupted acceleration are awesome.

After reading the comments here about how no lift shift is super fun I tried it a few more times and realized the reason I don’t like it is that it’s absolutely not working on my car. So that’s great. Now concerned about what damage I may have done attempting this multiple times.

Last edited:
After reading the comments here about how no lift shift is super fun I tried it a few more times and realized the reason I don’t like it is that it’s absolutely not working on my car. So that’s great. Now concerned about what damage I may have done attempting this multiple times. Who wants to buy my car? 😅
What happens when you try? Just bangs off the limiter? Rev match is on?

What happens when you try? Just bangs off the limiter? Rev match is on?

I tried it with rev match on and off, same result, but theoretically that shouldn’t matter correct?

I tried it with rev match on and off, same result, but theoretically that shouldn’t matter correct?

It only works 1) with rev match on 2) certain throttle percentage 3) above certain rpms. The parameters are in the manual.

It only works 1) with rev match on 2) certain throttle percentage 3) above certain rpms. The parameters are in the manual.
Hm. Manual doesn’t state anything about rev match. And I’ve been doing it flat foot on the gas within specified rpm ranges. It’s not working (unless revs are supposed to jump like in my video, but I thought that not happening was the whole point)

20D5794D-B4A8-4FCB-8C9C-5FD61782FC5E.jpeg

That's a bizarre feeling for me, NLS, IMHO. Why have the clutch?

"I find NLS to be immensely satisfying"

Ok....I having lunch with my kids. In between burger flips.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back