Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

No lift shift question

TexasHawkeye

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Have had an issue intermittently when NLS. Only has happened in the first to second shift, but I let the RPM’s get up close to redline, NLS to second, and second gear won’t engage. Meaning, it’s like the gear shift is locked out of going into second. Only fixed by letting foot off the gas and returning to a traditional shift.

It’s not necessarily repeatable, it’s only happened twice that I can recall. I have also had several NLS runs that were flawless. I am CLEARLY over the 5500 rpm permissive when attempting this, btw.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Maybe it’s just operator error?

Trans up to temp? Throttle full down to the floor, up near redline, clutch in, shift. You have to be very intentional when you do it.

Admittedly I've only ever NLS'd into 2nd about once or twice during my ownership. Plenty of times into 3rd and 4th though.

Yes on all counts — but there must be something off on the timing occasionally. I guess practice will make perfect. I’m sure I’ll have chances to flog the car at Spring Mountain and hone the technique.

> Throttle full down to the floor

new 4bw owner not out of break-in period. Have not NLS'ed yet...

do you need to be matted to NLS? will it cut timing correctly if you aren't all the way down?

I've attempted it a few times, wasn't successful, never did it again.

In reflection, I probably wasn't floored sufficiently. I saw the little green ring at the top of the RPM band, figured I was GTG... then jerked like a out of control bull... Prob removed some life from my clutch. /n00b

You have to be committed and shift it like you mean it, any hesitation or second thoughts it will laugh at you as it bounces off the gate.

I've attempted it a few times, wasn't successful, never did it again.

In reflection, I probably wasn't floored sufficiently. I saw the little green ring at the top of the RPM band, figured I was GTG... then jerked like a out of control bull... Prob removed some life from my clutch. /n00b
The green ring is your 'shift light' thing. It goes from green at the low end, to yellow, then to red when you need to shift.

If you're shifting when it turns to green, you're doing it too early. (And likely without the pedal to the floor.)

NLS is a hell of a lot of fun. It takes a couple attempts to get the timing right, but once you've got it, it becomes easily repeatable. Also, there's no reason a NLS would do any more wear to your clutch than a normal shift at the same RPM. All it does is remove the variable of timing the gas pedal release/reapply during shifting.

Yes on all counts — but there must be something off on the timing occasionally. I guess practice will make perfect. I’m sure I’ll have chances to flog the car at Spring Mountain and hone the technique.

They frown on NLS at Spring Mountain probably because of the potential for a money shift. There are a couple opportunities during autocross and the 0-60 demo but thats it.

If you are on the East Track theres only 2 upshifts per lap and only 1 of those is a candidate for NLS.

I NLS every day once the car is warmed up and you have to be very deliberate about it.

When I was at Spring Mountain they had a session for everyone to try NLS a few times and see what 0-60 times we could get.

They frown on NLS at Spring Mountain probably because of the potential for a money shift. There are a couple opportunities during autocross and the 0-60 demo but thats it.

If you are on the East Track theres only 2 upshifts per lap and only 1 of those is a candidate for NLS.

I NLS every day once the car is warmed up and you have to be very deliberate about it.
lol oops. did it repeatedly on east bowl from 3 to 4 on the long sweeping right. front straight as also an opportunity to do so.

lol oops. did it repeatedly on east bowl from 3 to 4 on the long sweeping right. front straight as also an opportunity to do so.

Yeah the front straight sure but I shifted on that sweeping right while you come off the throttle a bit before that turn.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back