Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Could this be a clutch issue?

Scaroline

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
I have a CT4 BW and initially noticed that 2nd gear was hard to engage even when warm. I started to realize that the gear lever slides into 3rd and 4th easily on downshifts AFTER the revs have been matched on the engine (without double clutching). Without rev matching it goes in but not smooth at all. This seems a little counterintuitive because I thought when I press the clutch in, the power to the transmission cuts out and rev matching only changes engine RPM/does not affect how the gear lever slides into gear (unless I double clutch). Since the gear lever goes in easier when I rev match (with the clutch still in), could it mean that my clutch isn’t disengaging properly? I have noticed after 1300 miles that the clutch doesn’t have that new feeling anymore where it grabs easily and bite point seems to have moved a bit higher (I do not drive in a way that burn the clutch easily) however this is my 2nd manual car so I'm not 100% sure on what the wear pattern is like but my previous car did not produce a noticeable change this quickly. If anyone has any thoughts on if I’m right or whether my understanding on how rev matching works is wrong I would highly appreciate any advice.

Last edited:
Almost sounds like the clutch is not properly disengaging, but would be odd for that to happen at 1,300 miles. Stranger things have happened though.

This all sounds logical, but it still could be the synchros, clutch/flywheel or both. If it’s the clutch/flywheel issue it could have damaged the synchros.

You can speculate but if you want it fixed you’ll have to bring in somewhere (dealer or Indy shop)

Sorry you’re having issues with this, hopefully you’ll find a solution.

Update: Clutch fluid level seems 1.5 cm higher than the max level and color seems to be yellow

Yellow is normal, brown bad. It may be higher if you’re on a slight incline. Low fluid would cause your issues but if you wanted to try removing some with a syringe and placing it in a clean container case you need to add more later, it might be worth a try.

-Put the rear of the car on Jack stands so the tires are off the ground. Start car, put in to 1st or R gear. With clutch down see if the rear wheels spin on their own.
-Bleed air out of clutch line
-check trans fluid fill hole (fluid should be 1/8 below the fill plug hole). 20ft/lb Torque spec.
-check the transmission mounts
-check for fluid leaks

Maybe a clutch pedal position sensor relearn which you need diagnostic tools to perform.

I really think if the trans/clutch are this troublesome it will need to come down for a physical inspection of the clutch/flywheel/transmission. Here’s some service documentation which maybe helpful but most of which you’ll need to have a shop perform (I’m speculating, no offense).

1713555567371.png

1713555591119.png

1713555653765.png

1713555745994.png

1713555891131.png

1713555913221.png

Update: Just noticed that if I slowly pull the shifter out of 2nd when moving, it makes a horrible grinding sound (clutch is pressed all the way down) Doesn’t occur when the car is not moving.

You seem to be having numerous issues with your transmission (I believe you have started several threads about your trans/clutch). How long did you have your other manual and how many miles? Rather than trying to diagnose your issues here, I would bring your car into Cadillac.

You seem to be having numerous issues with your transmission (I believe you have started several threads about your trans/clutch). How long did you have your other manual and how many miles? Rather than trying to diagnose your issues here, I would bring your car into Cadillac.
I agree with your recommendation and I have an appointment on the 22nd. I already took it to 2 dealers. One dealer straight up lied and said that it's fine when they didn't even drive it and the next dealer told me they replaced the transmission but it feels the same. I'm just trying to get an idea of what may be going on and explain it to the dealer so the likelihood of me getting the "it's fine works normally" reply goes down.

Replaced the transmission already? That's new information. And it behaves exactly the way it did with the old transmission?

Replaced the transmission already? That's new information. And it behaves exactly the way it did with the old transmission?
pretty much. Only difference now is that if i shift slowly out of 2nd it grinds (only occurs if i shift very slowly)

New slave cylinder needed maybe? Seems crazy they would misdiagnose it as a faulty transmission.

pretty much. Only difference now is that if i shift slowly out of 2nd it grinds (only occurs if i shift very slowly)
this happened on mine early on and fairly certain i read someone else having this issue elsewhere as well. also happened in my 4vBW at Spring Mountain.

solution: don't pussyfoot it out of 2nd.

Why experiment with all these different shifting scenarios to find out what doesn’t work. It’s a high performance car, shift like you mean it. I’ve had not one issue with the 6060. Not to say there are not the occasional bad transmission. But some of these problems are unforced errors.

Reactions: DCV

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners