Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Kill switch in 2026

Jim2000

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-Blackwing
I read that all cars, including our beloved Blackwings, will have a kill switch placed into our cars starting in 2026. Will this allow certain agencies to disable our cars as we have a spirited drive? What if we are on the track, will they be able to flip the switch as we are accelerating out of a turn? Will insurance companies be able to monitor our driving habits more closely and be able to turn off our car? Will the car have to be towed after the kill switch is activated? How long do you have to wait until the kill switch is deactivated so that the car can once again be driven? Does this make any of you uncomfortable? If this occurs, I am inclined to trade my CT4 Blackwing in for a 2025 model, if they are even made that year.

While the original intent is noble, a mechanism for law enforcement to deal with people driving under the influence, I can understand why people are mistrusting of our government having this capability in their hands. At this point, we simply don't know the constraints on how and when this capability may be used. That may feel disconcerting but if you think about it, your car and phone already have microphones and camera that can be manipulated, I think OnStar can still shutdown a car in certain situations, etc...

We just need effective government to make this work for the citizenry...

I read that all cars, including our beloved Blackwings, will have a kill switch placed into our cars starting in 2026

This topic will immediately devolve into government bashing, tin-foil-hat folks complaining about over-reach, etc. I promise it will. We need to be very clear on this: nothing's been decided by NHTSA yet. They will determine how the bits of that awful Infrastructure Act will be implemented and enforced. No one else will. And they've yet to make a single peep about it. So while this may be something to be concerned about, there are no decisions made by the authorities who make said decisions.

I’m sure aftermarket suppliers will find a way to program an override.

Not to disappoint @jvp, there are very nefarious undertones to the big EV push. It is much easier to control access to electricity than gasoline. I do see this coming and this is not fantasy. Where there are people with power and a “we know better than you mindset,” the seeds of control will thrive and grow into trees.

Not to disappoint @jvp, there are very nefarious undertones to the big EV push.

You've said nothing that can be interpreted as disappointing. I was merely answering the OP's post, which has a pile of questions in it that NO ONE CAN ANSWER right now. Theorize all you like, tin-foil all you want, it's not going to amount to a hill of beans in this discussion because the agency that makes these decisions hasn't. Yet.

When they do, then start worrying, complaining, fretting, chewing your fingernails, etc. I might even be right there with you.

Don't assume by the tone of my posts that you know where I fall on the political spectrum. You're probably wrong. ;-)

I wasn’t assuming anything about your political spectrum. I’m just stating facts based on historical evidence of fundamental human nature as it relates to power and control over others. Look around the world right now and it’s easy to spot.

Maybe this gets moved to the lounge?

I agree that nothing has been decided, but its out there and talking about it builds awareness, and hopefully resistance. Complacency over the slow erosion of our freedoms and privacy is why these sorts of things even get put into bills in the first place. It's remarkable how what was patriotic 20 years is now labeled tin-foil hat fringe.

Maybe this gets moved to the lounge?

I agree that nothing has been decided, but its out there and talking about it builds awareness, and hopefully resistance. Complacency over the slow erosion of our freedoms and privacy is why these sorts of things even get put into bills in the first place. It's remarkable how what was patriotic 20 years is now labeled tin-foil hat fringe.
This is why issues like this need to be discussed openly.

I assumed most cars today can be controlled remotely. There's a youtube video of someone who 'hacked' into a 2008 accord and was able to control it from his laptop. Imagine the tech today. I'm sure someone could turn up/down the boost from their computer somewhere if they don't like the way we're driving on public streets.

While the original intent is noble, a mechanism for law enforcement to deal with people driving under the influence, I can understand why people are mistrusting of our government having this capability in their hands. At this point, we simply don't know the constraints on how and when this capability may be used. That may feel disconcerting but if you think about it, your car and phone already have microphones and camera that can be manipulated, I think OnStar can still shutdown a car in certain situations, etc...

We just need effective government to make this work for the citizenry...
We just need effective government to make this work for the citizenry.. Something we don't have and may never have. Don

I'm not concerned about electricity being controlled. Our old, failing, not adequate infrastructure will resolve that itself, if EV's ever take off. Currently (pun) EV's look to be falling flat.

While I have my aluminum hat on, isn't there legislature currently passed (or sitting somewhere to be signed off) that is going to put breathalyzers in every new car within the next couple of years??? I'd be more pissed about that personally. I mean, think about it. EVERY time you start your car!

While I have my aluminum hat on, isn't there legislature currently passed (or sitting somewhere to be signed off) that is going to put breathalyzers in ever car within the next couple of years???

It's part of the same Infrastructure bill that OP is referencing. And again, it's entirely up to NHTSA on whether and how that gets implemented.

I'm not concerned about electricity being controlled. Our old, failing, not adequate infrastructure will resolve that itself, if EV's ever take off. Currently (pun) EV's look to be falling flat.

While I have my aluminum hat on, isn't there legislature currently passed (or sitting somewhere to be signed off) that is going to put breathalyzers in every new car within the next couple of years??? I'd be more pissed about that personally. I mean, think about it. EVERY time you start your car!
No matter how worthless some politicians are I don't think that could pass. They wouldn't want to do a breath test everytime they use the car.
I think if any were stupid enough to try to pass that, they'd be voted out next election time. Don

No matter how worthless some politicians are I don't think that could pass. They wouldn't want to do a breath test everytime they use the car.
I think if any were stupid enough to try to pass that, they'd be voted out next election time. Don

The real reason is the beverage lobby and tax revenue generated from alcohol sales. Approximately 15,000 people in the US are killed each year in drunk driving accidents. Since 1982 to 2022, a 40 year span, there have been 952 fatalities as a result of a mass shooting. The conclusion according to politicians, alcohol is good, guns are bad. This is why I hate politicians, there deceitfulness is limitless.

The real reason is the beverage lobby and tax revenue generated from alcohol sales. Approximately 15,000 people in the US are killed each year in drunk driving accidents. Since 1982 to 2022, a 40 year span, there have been 952 fatalities as a result of a mass shooting. The conclusion according to politicians, alcohol is good, guns are bad. This is why I hate politicians, there deceitfulness is limitless.
I certainly agree.
Too, of the 40,000 deaths/yr attributed to firearms, 2/3rds are suicides. Take away gangbanger deaths, civic improvement in my opinion, and the number killed by armed robbery/murder etc drop drastically.

Politicians shouting on their bully pulpit about 40K firearms deaths just enrages the left and the ignorant. Don

I’m sure aftermarket suppliers will find a way to program an override.

Not to disappoint @jvp, there are very nefarious undertones to the big EV push. It is much easier to control access to electricity than gasoline. I do see this coming and this is not fantasy. Where there are people with power and a “we know better than you mindset,” the seeds of control will thrive and grow into trees.
Just the fact they are discussing and the optionality of what levers to pull is already past the "hill of beans" keep bending over America keep bending over...as rubberduck implied: you don't have to go far in the world to see the manifestations and outcomes.

With EVs, the death of the manual and now this kill switch, my '24 4BW might be the last new car I buy tbh
I hope you're wrong. I think more sane heads will prevail. The grid isn't up to it and CA and DORK Newsome are proving my point right now.

I don't doubt that some leftist leaning counties might try to go that way but will fail. Don

Talk of a remote kill switch makes my mind go to this...

c5921f5f-62c4-4446-b3b0-108cf1759e53_text.gif

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners