Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Kill switch in 2026

GIF by Last Man Standing

We The People Fishman GIF by Scott

Also, AI would be monitoring this and there are many concerns about this new technology.
This is the kind of comment I'm talking about. There is no current technology, the point of the law is to direct the NHTSA make rules about creating the technology. And it can't be what most people think of when saying the words AI, as that would require your car to maintain a live data connection for uploading at all times you were driving, which clearly is not happening.

I'm a little late to the party I see. :)

The earlier comment that cooler heads will prevail has been proven false for decades now. Have you seen laws and policies in California and other leftist states and cities ?

Do you know how much of your paycheck lands in Uncle Sam's account instead of yours ?

Leftists have taken so much already, and when like minded people like us fail to vote, it keeps happening.

Voter turnout for our Texas elections last week (which admittedly were kinda boring since it was bonds and constitutional amendments only) were a whopping 16%.

This is the kind of comment I'm talking about. There is no current technology, the point of the law is to direct the NHTSA make rules about creating the technology. And it can't be what most people think of when saying the words AI, as that would require your car to maintain a live data connection for uploading at all times you were driving, which clearly is not happening.
Wouldn't the phone in every one of our pockets act as the data connector?

Do you know how much of your paycheck lands in Uncle Sam's account instead of yours ?
I believe we all work for nothing. .Gov tells us how much of our pay we get to keep.

I believe we all work for nothing. .Gov tells us how much of our pay we get to keep.

You've learned to repeat the words they've been driving into everyone's heads !!

Wouldn't the phone in every one of our pockets act as the data connector?
So, for this to work, all of the following needs to be done:
  1. Since the rule making is focused on car technology, your phone has to be able to connect to these yet-undecided car technologies to get the information the so-called AI needs to make its decision. So, Apple and Google have to add integration into their OS, and the car manufacturers have to grant access for the same. Given you can't even access basic OBD2 data through CarPlay and Android Auto, I don't see this happening.
  2. The cell phone companies have to let the data pass through their devices and networks and they won't do this for free, so the consumer and/or government will pay for it.
  3. Then the government has to create this magical AI system. Based on self-driving results, this seems like a major challenge.
  4. The same cell phone companies have to let the data pass back to the consumer cell phone.
  5. Then Apple and Google have to add functionality to their OS to send kill switches to the car, and the car manufacturers have to allow the signals to go to the car. I doubt they'll allow that either.
Now, maybe Congress and the Executive can mandate car manufacturers do something (though I'm guessing the lobbying effort against would be huge), but last I checked NHTSA doesn't have much say over cell phone companies.

I think the obvious thing that most of you are missing, is that this proposed regulation is to determine if the driver is impaired.

The problem here, and you'll agree with me if you have to commute to work in typical traffic, is that many existing motorists are already driving impaired. They are using their cell phone, fixing/applying makeup, shaving, singing and trying to change the destination on their navigation system. And eating breakfast. They can't maintain their lane, they aren't paying attention to what others are doing, they react late (if at all) to emergency situations and they do not follow existing rules and laws. Heck, just today I cut off a moron in a BMW simply because I didn't want to get behind them. LOL

The other thing is, these rules will take years to be written, put into law and implemented. And even then, there will be a long grace period for manufacturers to implement them, and it will only apply to new cars anyway. All of us old farts driving our obsolete old fart Cadillacs will not have to worry about it.

I think the obvious thing that most of you are missing, is that this proposed regulation is to determine if the driver is impaired.

The problem here, and you'll agree with me if you have to commute to work in typical traffic, is that many existing motorists are already driving impaired. They are using their cell phone, fixing/applying makeup, shaving, singing and trying to change the destination on their navigation system. And eating breakfast. They can't maintain their lane, they aren't paying attention to what others are doing, they react late (if at all) to emergency situations and they do not follow existing rules and laws. Heck, just today I cut off a moron in a BMW simply because I didn't want to get behind them. LOL

The other thing is, these rules will take years to be written, put into law and implemented. And even then, there will be a long grace period for manufacturers to implement them, and it will only apply to new cars anyway. All of us old farts driving our obsolete old fart Cadillacs will not have to worry about it.

Speaking for myself, I am not missing this point at all. I just don't see its relevance. I see police let people run red lights almost weekly (seriously). They just don't care. We already know people are driving impaired or simply driving poorly (no signals, etc.). We already know police are much more likely to enforce speed limits (whether someone is driving competently or not) rather than penalize truly dangerous driving, even when they see it. I have seen city councils tell their police force (trying to do the right thing) to NOT enforce drunk driving laws at the request of bar owners (seriously). So if they (and we, as a whole) are not willing to enforce those things, then why bother with this technology? It is not likely to be used for the right reasons and *could* be used for more questionable reasons. Perhaps unlikely (apologies for wearing the tinfoil hat here), but I don't think this is any proper role of government. Even if it were used for the right reasons, people will find a way around it (felons still get guns, etc.).

Speaking for myself, I am not missing this point at all. I just don't see its relevance. I see police let people run red lights almost weekly (seriously). They just don't care. We already know people are driving impaired or simply driving poorly (no signals, etc.). We already know police are much more likely to enforce speed limits (whether someone is driving competently or not) rather than penalize truly dangerous driving, even when they see it. I have seen city councils tell their police force (trying to do the right thing) to NOT enforce drunk driving laws at the request of bar owners (seriously). So if they (and we, as a whole) are not willing to enforce those things, then why bother with this technology? It is not likely to be used for the right reasons and *could* be used for more questionable reasons. Perhaps unlikely (apologies for wearing the tinfoil hat here), but I don't think this is any proper role of government. Even if it were used for the right reasons, people will find a way around it (felons still get guns, etc.).
I agree completely with you and I am tired of the government's continual interference in controlling our lives.

• (i) passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired; and
  • (ii) prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected;
This is a kill switch. The language is plain enough.

I guess my only option will be to concede to the future where all we have are appliance-mobiles and whose algorithms automatically shuttle us. No driving needed.

Last edited:
No matter what tech they build and demand to be installed in our vehicles......someone will find a way around it.
For sure. Then those that always seem to know better than us will create a law making it illegal. Can anyone name a program put on by .gov that is/has been successful? Other than our military..cuz thank God we still have them. We do still have them right?

Slow roll-out complacency..."its so far in the future it's not that big of a deal"...sorry, but it is a big deal. I understand the 'boiling a frog by slowing turning up the heat' metaphor is scientifically inaccurate, but the concept of creeping normality is 100% valid.

For me this all started with the huge expansion of executive powers that effectively authorized spying on us after the 9/11 attacks. The abuse that resulted from that power is the headwaters for some of my distrust in certain elements of "the government". Whether they can turn the car off or not is immaterial, it's the fact that we accepted this intrusion into our lives in the first place.

Lastly, just because some are expressing skepticism about our government, perceived overreach, and abuse of power does not preclude us from being constructive contributors to our families, our neighborhoods, our communities, and patriotic supporters of our country (will I get canceled for saying that last part?).

Below is a story that is essentially the same principal as what started this thread. A forum is probably not the venue to get into this, but more technological oversight is not the solution to the general lack of regard for others expressed by those engaged in drunk driving, reckless driving, and myriad societal ills.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back