Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I see a lot of people not liking the sunroof option

On the 5BW non-sunroof was non-negotiable for me. I’m into the car for the muscle car nostalgia and the sunroof ruins the lines IMO. And my color is so awesome I want as much as I can get.

I have one but would have been fine without it.
Most of the time, like sunroofs in other cars I’ve owned, I’m not even aware that it’s there.
Also, it’s kind of weird.
Instead of being a panoramic roof, as you would suspect just looking at it from the outside, from the inside there's this chunky dual rectangular porthole thing going on.
Overall, I don’t consider it a very attractive design.
IMG_4689.jpeg

Meecum Kissimmee has one coming up on the block I believe today?

Market Value is, what a buyer is willing to pay...

If you prefer a sunroof I am sure there is a car on a dealer lot with one since that is all they seem to order. :)

I don't care for them, they add cost, weight, complexity, heat and increased potential for noise and leaks and you lose head room. Not to mention it alters roof line styling and it doesn't provide a true open air experience anymore than lowering all four windows. If you want an open top I would go for a true convertible.

Mine's my daily driver first and track second. I personally really enjoy having a sunroof, so mine has it.

That said, I absolutely don't fit in a 4BW with a sunroof. Helmet againt on the roof. Luckily in the 5 it's fine. It's a consideration if you plan to track it.

Didn't seem to be an issue with this 5BW? Whatever your flavor is, enjoy!
Little known fact, the non-sunroof 5BWs have more HP. Kidding aside, spend some time with each and there is no denying the aesthetics both inside and outside are better without the sunroof. There are also practical considerations as mentioned. The only real reason to have one is if someone somehow gets enjoyment from it (at the cost of ruining the clean lines).

I'm in the 'daily driver' club and I've got one as well.
The negatives are all true, of course, but one thing in the plus column for the sunroof is that you can open it up and hear more of the exhaust sound :)

Unless you really enjoy using the sunroof, I would pass. I've seen too many of them leak due to the tiny drains getting clogged. I think a lot of people would reconsider getting one if they saw how they actually work. The water doesn't stay on the outside of the car. Some of it drains into a gutter system around the sunroof and the little drains carry the water down the A-pillars and outside the bottom of the car. When those drains get plugged, the water overflows and leaks into your headliner and/or the A-pillars. Just some info to consider.

I prefer getting / speccing all my vehicles without a sunroof.

Aesthetically, i prefer the cleaner roofline and dont want to deal with rattles or leaks.

Let’s be honest, aesthetically, speaking, the black wing is not something most people would consider “a beautiful car with great lines”. It’s an animal on the road but it’s nothing to look at…. Not much better looking, exterior wise, than the Chevy SS. It’s very nice inside, but the sunroof doesn’t ruin anything other than your time on the track.

Living in SoCal, a sunroof or convertible, are a must. If you don’t like how it looks from the drivers seated position, just slide the inside, cover and sunroof gone. Most of the folks here on this forum and owners of a 5BW, rarely take it out of their garages anyway.

Unless you really enjoy using the sunroof, I would pass. I've seen too many of them leak due to the tiny drains getting clogged. I think a lot of people would reconsider getting one if they saw how they actually work. The water doesn't stay on the outside of the car. Some of it drains into a gutter system around the sunroof and the little drains carry the water down the A-pillars and outside the bottom of the car. When those drains get plugged, the water overflows and leaks into your headliner and/or the A-pillars. Just some info to consider.
Yeah - last winter a shop pumped 5 gallons of water out of my GTI due to a clogged sunroof drain and me being away for a while during a period of heavy rains. I had to dry out the car further using a fan and carbon packs - for weeks - before it was fully dry. Primarily for this reason (but also because of reduced headroom) the car I originally ordered was without a sunroof....but the one we eventually bought had one. I'm OK with that - I like sunroofs - but would have preferred it without.

I had to order my 4BW to not get the sunroof, all the dealer stock had them optioned and I refuse to ever get another vehicle with one. The one on my 4runner rattles like a mofo on bumpy roads and I never used the one my SS so made zero sense to pay for it.

Funny, mine was a dealer stock order without the sunroof and I would have liked one had I taken the time to spec and wait.

I guess I'm in the extreme minority of people without a sunroof who actually wanted one.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back