Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Anyone have a 5V Blackwing I can test drive??

5VBW Nick

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V Blackwing
So, I have yet to drive one of these cars, or even see one (I live in Northern NY). I drove a CT5V normal, but dealership didn't want to let the BW out on the street. I ended up buying a '24 M3 manual, and I have it broken in, but only driven in colder weather. Either way, it's fun, but I'm not in love. Curious if the Blackwing will be the car for me. I also have a GT350R (trying to sell) and recently sold an R8 because I didn't fit well in it and my head was rubbing the ceiling.

Is anyone near a major airport I could fly to and take a ride and potentially a test-drive? I know that's a lot to ask of strangers, but car guys are car guys and we can all agree on a lot of things. Maybe someone is within a few hours of me in NY? Either way, I am curious about it before following through with a new order.

Thank you so much.

-Nick

FYI Brogan Cadillac in NJ offered me to test drive new on the lot 5bw as a walk in customer, i declined as they didn't have a car i was interested in buying and i would want the first owner to put the first miles on it. Might want to look for used one in your area save the flight.

looks like CT or MA are closest used for sale, maybe the dealer in Rochester give them a call they have some new.

Nearest dealer to me is 2+ hours away and we have snow/ice for the next month or two. Also, no dealers within 4+ hours drive have one in stock.

valley in Rochester and Otto in Albany have 2024 manuals, 4 hrs round trip probably like you said, about what i did to NJ to see one in person. Drove from Albany to Boston to see/test drive my SS sedan before ordering one. Definitely a tough situation to be in i agree, a lot of $ never to drive one and just order.

Nearest dealer to me is 2+ hours away and we have snow/ice for the next month or two. Also, no dealers within 4+ hours drive have one in stock.
4+ hour drive... still better than flying into/out of an airport...unless you have your own plane

4+ hour drive... still better than flying into/out of an airport...unless you have your own plane
No plane, haha. 4 hour drive out isn't terrible, just have to find a dealer within that range that has one, is willing to allow testdrive, and is not all iced/snowed in.

JOSEPH DIAMOND is sales rep that had no issue offering me to test drive.​

i wouldn't tell them about no interest in buying but play the game call ahead get your test drive, with the experience i had with this gentleman i will be calling them first to try to place my order when i am ready even though otto is closer to me, the guy knew he wasn't going to make a sale that day right when i walked in, other larger dealerships seem to not want to even speak to me about ordering a car in the next several months, if i didn't want to buy in stock communication was cut.

What is policy test driving a new car? Can't go over 5k rpm until broken in, right? Trying to remember.

Thank you for the dealership info

I have no idea policy i have never got on a car hard on test drive, i'm checking visibility, seating, control position, cabin noise ie wind/road, basically everything about the car except the "power" to see if i would want to drive/own this car for years. Yes i have not bought cars (wrx sti) as looked good on paper but was not for me after driving it. I have also bought several cars with no test drive and have lucked out with all but one that i found dislikes after several hundered miles.

I know I fit ok, and I'm wanting to know if the power is everything I want to sell me on the car, or if it isn't enough to make up for it being a big sedan that looks like a regular CT5 that is more of an old man's car (no offense!!)

I bought my R8 last year sight unseen, none to test out anywhere near me. After I tried everything, I couldn't adjust the seat low or back enough to keep my head from slightly rubbing on the ceiling and it drove me crazy, to the point of selling it 2 months later.

Traction i think will be the biggest issue, my ZL1 is amazing when it fully hooks up on a pull without traction control kicking in. I honestly think it isn't that "big" of a sedan and was kinda suprised at the size seeing in person, reminded me of my ss sedans alot just a tad bigger.

I know I fit ok, and I'm wanting to know if the power is everything I want to sell me on the car, or if it isn't enough to make up for it being a big sedan that looks like a regular CT5 that is more of an old man's car (no offense!!)

I bought my R8 last year sight unseen, none to test out anywhere near me. After I tried everything, I couldn't adjust the seat low or back enough to keep my head from slightly rubbing on the ceiling and it drove me crazy, to the point of selling it 2 months later.
I knew with the simplest of big toe twitches, on my test drive of my ordered car, on which I was nervous as all hell, elated beyond all hope, and smiling as large the SC'd LT4 roaring in front of me.

My point, you don't need to push beyond 4000rpm in a ct5vbw to understand and know you want it, and you want more. Especially if it is a manual.

I knew with the simplest of big toe twitches, on my test drive of my ordered car, on which I was nervous as all hell, elated beyond all hope, and smiling as large the SC'd LT4 roaring in front of me.

My point, you don't need to push beyond 4000rpm in a ct5vbw to understand and know you want it, and you want more. Especially if it is a manual.
Gotcha, that's what I am hoping for after a string of car purchases I haven't been excited about, despite thinking that I should be.

OP - 2024 5BW 6sp and 2020 GT350R owner here. I was a little apprehensive about ordering the 5BW without being able to drive it, in large part because I had not really enjoyed other GM performance cars I had driven (Gen 2 CTSVs, GTO, Vettes, Camaro SS 1LE, etc). My 350R is so OHMYGODMYHAIRISONFIRE (which I love about it!) and I do think that Ford (and SRT) make their cars a lot more visceral and rowdy feeling than GM. The 5BW has been a real eye-opener - so fast and precise and a total nut job when you want it to be but also super smooth and calm and normal when you aren't in the mood. I have mentioned it in other threads, but the car needs slightly more exhaust noise and just a touch of blower whine to be pretty much perfect.

Oh, and do NOT sell your 350R. They fight so far above their weight and are already iconic. I wish the LT4 in the 5BW had half the character of the Voodoo!

I love the description of the R 😄 I am hoping the 5VBW is everything I am expecting/hoping, would just love to know. My M3 is a month old and I'm already over it, even after spending like $7k in carbon fiber and performance mods. I hate the turbo lag between shifts and don't want to have a piggyback doing tuning and possibly messing with the warranty, etc.

Keep thinking I should keep the R, but it never gets driven thanks to the ridiculous Cup2R tires. I'm in Northern NY, so our roads are nasty/salty until June, then it's too cold by October. Maybe some PS4S would make it more liveable, but that's a pricey experiment swapping 315 and 305 tires when the others only have 1,600 miles so far. My R happens to be the most rare color combo made, and it's a '20, so most desirable attributes.

Attachments

• 20231213_161916.jpg
    20231213_161916.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20230904_094051.jpg
    20230904_094051.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
I love the description of the R 😄 I am hoping the 5VBW is everything I am expecting/hoping, would just love to know. My M3 is a month old and I'm already over it, even after spending like $7k in carbon fiber and performance mods. I hate the turbo lag between shifts and don't want to have a piggyback doing tuning and possibly messing with the warranty, etc.

Keep thinking I should keep the R, but it never gets driven thanks to the ridiculous Cup2R tires. I'm in Northern NY, so our roads are nasty/salty until June, then it's too cold by October. Maybe some PS4S would make it more liveable, but that's a pricey experiment swapping 315 and 305 tires when the others only have 1,600 miles so far. My R happens to be the most rare color combo made, and it's a '20, so most desirable attributes.
What a horrible place to live for a car enthusiast, only 5 to 6 months out of the year to use your car. Maybe you need a new geographic and not a new car?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back