Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I see a lot of people not liking the sunroof option

I see why some people don't like them but I'm another one here who has one & likes it.

I do track my car but I'm an amateur so the extra weight doesn't bother me. The car is still fast AF!

Never have had a technical problem with any sunroofs before, nor do I know anyone personally who has. \With that said, I don't drive mine in the rain & I store it in the garage.

Lastly, I don't find them to be offensive to the eyes. I think they actually improve the appearance/experience from the inside. The pic posted previously here is form a weird angle- no one looks at it from that view. Rarely open mine, but I like the openness it offers.

With that said, I would love my car just as much if it didn't have one. Don't think you can go wrong either way unless you're dead set about weight or head space. I think the chances of one leaking or being faulty are the same chances as anything else going wrong.
@Badillac, Well said!! I figure until someone wants to buy or give me a vehicle the way “they think” would be best; when I pay for it, I buy what I want and can give damn on what anyone else thinks when I paid for for it with my hard earned $$. As long as it makes me happy, that’s all that counts!

I find some comments funny regarding head room with a helmet, but on some of their previous posts, they claim they would never race or put their beloved 5BW on the track or too expensive to race, go figure. Or that it adds unnecessary weight, but very few can exploit what a 5BW is capable of… I know I can’t, but then again, I bought the option because I wanted it and it still pulled slightly ahead of a C8 last weekend during a quick “moment”

I love my sun roof and I believe it looks great and enjoyed this past couple of beautiful weekends here in the Houston as I was able to open it. Another great thing, it allows extra sound from those beautiful pipes!

I love “my” 5BW with the options that “I” paid for:
Rift paint color
10 speed auto
“Brake dust” satin wheel color
Red seat belts
Red calipers
PDR
and much more! Damn, what a great car!

@1Evil55 I like the isle seat so I can get up anytime to use the restroom or stretch on some long flights, but damn, I do enjoy looking over my shoulder out through the window when I can, lol. Always enjoy your comments!!

I liked sunroofs... until I got a converible. Now a sunroof is like 20% of that experience, but comes with cost, complexity, and weight in the wrong spot. I like a nice pano roof in an SUV (never notice it in my wife's Merc C-class) but for a performance car give me a slick top any day.

I've had several cars with sunroofs and a few without. I've never encountered any issues like leaks or squeaks, and I've made good use of the sunroof for extra light or ventilation, often preferring it to opening the windows. In cars without one, I've found myself missing the feature. I am also glad I have this option in my BW.

the sunroof on the ct4 cuts into interior headroom .. its pretty awkward for rear passengers. if you haven't sat in both, you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes.

Reactions: RKS
I've had vehicles with and without a sunroof. All of my current vehicles have them, but I rarely open them. However, when I do, it's usually tilted up rather than opened. When I had my BMW M4, I ordered it without the sunroof, because I prefered the look of a carbon fiber roof, over a painted metal roof with a sunroof. I don't track my cars so the weight thing isn't an issue. To me, some cars just look better with a sunroof, so I'm buying them for the styling rather than functionality. I personally like the looks of the sunroof on my BW5. Now if it were a black car, I would save the weight and money, since it blends in so much.

Sunroof's have never been a problem with leakage or excessive wind noise on any of my cars. Just my two cents.

I've had several cars with sunroofs and a few without. I've never encountered any issues like leaks or squeaks, and I've made good use of the sunroof for extra light or ventilation, often preferring it to opening the windows. In cars without one, I've found myself missing the feature. I am also glad I have this option in my BW.
I just noticed that in a walk-through video. I don't anticipate people sitting in the back seat but it is something to consider.

I'm just posting here to see if this "which roof is best thread" can get up to the same page count as the "how to spot the (4) clearly identifiable lift points" thread... :cool:

Sunroof in every car I’ve owned since college. Don’t give a hoot how cool the car is without it. I like it so I require one. I don’t like convertibles (contacts + dust, and hate the way they look with the top up) but I like the idea of openness of my car. So an open sunroof with windows down does the trick.
My 1967 deVille convertible looks great with the top up or top down. Mostly better when down ! If I had a decision on which car to drive on a nice day, the convertible beats the Blackwing any day. From the sideview, I always felt the BW looks like a Honda Accord. They should have made a better hood like the older V's too.

Attachments

• DSCN1286.JPG
    DSCN1286.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190524_181457904.jpg
    IMG_20190524_181457904.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
I ordered mine with the sunroof. My 02 Grand Prix had one and loved the windows down and sunroof open. And it's good in winter when you want fresh air, but not quite all the coldness of the side windows. I have a 13 BRZ that I will be trading in and I know it's meant to be a sports car and I don't expect a sunroof, but now that I am moving into something more adult friendly I am happy to have a sunroof.

I am only 5'6", so plenty of headroom. May only track a few times, I got a Ducati for that. Passengers, who cares. I have to go in their shitty and dirty ass CRV or Rav4. They can deal with a slightly tight rear. I really only cared about car seats as the wife and I are trying to have a kid.

I don't park my car under trees, so getting a clogged railing was never an issue in my Grand Prix.

My order didn’t have one but one I got now used has it. I don’t like Cadillacs track record with sunroofs to want one. V2s leaked constantly by design on the pano roofs, and V3 sunshade loved to break. I don’t see these double sunshade not having issues like the V3 eventually.

If you’re even semi tall you’re not going to fit in with a helmet.

This is true. I'm 6'4" and with a helmet on, I have to recline my seat a bit more than I normally would in order for me to fit with a helmet. And I think it compromises back seat headroom somewhat, too. That said, I do enjoy the sunroof for normal street driving.

I had it on my wish list of options. Mine did not have it but was too good to pass up.

Always had them on my Chevy trucks (15+ years) no issue. My 2018 2SS Hot Wheels does not have either that I do occasionally track.

So ultimately i'm good either way and Ill enjoy what I have the way it is.

Last edited:
Unless you really enjoy using the sunroof, I would pass. I've seen too many of them leak due to the tiny drains getting clogged. I think a lot of people would reconsider getting one if they saw how they actually work. The water doesn't stay on the outside of the car. Some of it drains into a gutter system around the sunroof and the little drains carry the water down the A-pillars and outside the bottom of the car. When those drains get plugged, the water overflows and leaks into your headliner and/or the A-pillars. Just some info to consider.
I got a used 2023 with the sunroof over front seats only. I wouldn’t have got one if I built it but got great deal so oh well. If I run my fingers far up along the track I can feel a little water. Is this normal design? I only use touchless washes and car is garaged all the time.

Normal that you will feel or see along the inside of the track, this why they have drain lines. My 22 5BW when I wash it, has the same. After I dry the car, I open the sunroof and wipe the seal & track dry and clean.

While some have had issues with sunroofs, I have not and 13 of my last vehicles have had one. No issue on any of them.
I believe the manufacturers have improved knowing that way back in the past, some had issues. My $.02

Normal that you will feel or see along the inside of the track, this why they have drain lines. My 22 5BW when I wash it, has the same. After I dry the car, I open the sunroof and wipe the seal & track dry and clean.

While some have had issues with sunroofs, I have not and 13 of my last vehicles have had one. No issue on any of them.
I believe the manufacturers have improved knowing that way back in the past, some had issues. My $.02
Ok Thanks appreciate the info. This is my first sunroof car and wasn’t sure if it was normal or not. Like the idea of opening and drying track after wash Thanks

i got a sunroof and i actually use it. i've definitely seen prettier sunroofs but whatevs i use it. At the end of the day its a sedan (and a cool fast one) not a boy racer.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back