Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Gas tank not filling completely

cab777

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V BW
In the few weeks I've had my car, when I'm filling up it has only filled the tank completely once without stopping early (the pump clicking off). The other few times it has stopped anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full before just clicking off (and I'm not able to continue filling, the pump will keep clicking off like it's full). No CELs and the car is doing great otherwise. I know there's a little diagram on the inside of the fuel door, and it is completely possible this is all just user error, but was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar problem? Given how thirsty the car already is, it's really increasing the frequency of stopping for gas. Thanks!

I too have had that issue on several occasions. Unfortunately NJ is not a self service state and chalked it up to attendant error.

In the few weeks I've had my car, when I'm filling up it has only filled the tank completely once without stopping early (the pump clicking off). The other few times it has stopped anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full before just clicking off (and I'm not able to continue filling, the pump will keep clicking off like it's full). No CELs and the car is doing great otherwise. I know there's a little diagram on the inside of the fuel door, and it is completely possible this is all just user error, but was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar problem? Given how thirsty the car already is, it's really increasing the frequency of stopping for gas. Thanks!
Have you tried pulling it out, spitting on it, and sticking it back in...?

I jest, my 2020 Ram 1500 has a similar issue. It's some modern-vehicle breather valve thing. Sometimes it doesn't open for one reason or another. Pulling the pump out and putting it back works 9/10 times on the truck. Hopefully, that helps some!

I have this occassionally at the start, depending on the pump + latch style. They can be finicky no doubt (insert fumbling teen joke here) and the 'ol in and out till it works is the only workaround.

Of course you look like a berk in your snazzy car unable to fill it up, but them the breaks.

Rotate the nozzle after insertion. That seems to do the trick. Just remember to rotate it back or it's not coming out. /Butt-secks instructions.

I've seen this on some of our cars (including prior V3 CTS-V.) Turning the handle about 45 degrees after insertion and pumping that way seems to solve it.

Happens to me all the time... also in NJ. Will definitely try the 45 degree twist

Thank you all, really appreciate it! Will try the 45 degree method next time. And will also keep the spitting on it, sticking it in and out rapidly, and gently massaging above the door in mind as well if needed :)

Happens all the time on C7 Corvette's, everyone's solution is different, sometimes turning the nozzle will do the trick, on more excessive cases I've seen Corvette owners turn it upside down because it won't pump at full speed.

My Corvette does the same, unfortunately my only solution is to pump slower (turning it upside down is something I won't do and angling it a bit doesn't help).

This is also the first time I'm hearing this about the Blackwing, I can't say I'm thrilled about having to deal with this issue on two vehicles now. Thanks GM!

My 05 escalade does this too, so i was already used to it when the same happened with the bw. Gotta get it at the right angle to get it to squirt properly.

Just to follow up - tried the 45 degree angle at the exact same pump and it worked to completion, just like I remember from my first time back in high school. Seems silly to have to do that, but glad it's an easy fix. Really appreciate all the help!

I put it in all the way and never have a problem with going until completion.

You And Me Love GIF by CBC

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners