Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Gear whine (6 speed 5)

TheShark

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BW 086-398 (built 2/23/22, delivered 8/2/2022)
Hi all. Manual 2022 5BW here. Since day one (now 11,000 miles) the car has had an annoying "drone" while cruising on the highway. At 80+ it gets really bad and we have suspected it was either the tires or the exhaust. Now we have a new culprit?.... the gear box? Our son is an certified Volvo tech and now an SA. He's in the back seat and I inquire on the noise level.... it sucks. He asked me to shift from 6th to 5th.... guess what, the "drone" is instantly gone. Despite the revs increasing and the exhaust opening up a bit, the interior is quieter. We play around with on and off throttle between 5th and 6th gear and he believes it's the differential. Anyone have a similar experience? I'm not a "it's making a noise go to the dealer guy" but am debating if this is worth a look by a tech.

Hi all. Manual 2022 5BW here. Since day one (now 11,000 miles) the car has had an annoying "drone" while cruising on the highway. At 80+ it gets really bad and we have suspected it was either the tires or the exhaust. Now we have a new culprit?.... the gear box? Our son is a certified Volvo tech and now an SA. He's in the back seat and I inquire on the noise level.... it sucks. He asked me to shift from 6th to 5th.... guess what, the "drone" is instantly gone. Despite the revs increasing and the exhaust opening up a bit, the interior is quieter. We play around with on and off throttle between 5th and 6th gear and he believes it's the differential. Anyone have a similar experience? I'm not a "it's making a noise go to the dealer guy" but am debating if this is worth a look by a tech.
If you’re at the same driving speed, the differential isn’t changing speed when you shift from 6th to 5th. Sounds like it could be an issue with 6th but I’m not following how it might be the diff

My SS made a speed related drone-ish sound and my BW does the same, around the 80mph mark (plus or minus). It's hard to describes sounds with words, but in my case its more like a high frequency vibration but not one you can feel as much as hear. I think about the only thing in common between the two cars is the TR6060. But I agree with others that if its not happening in 5th but you're still going the same speed, its not the differential.

I think it still could be the differential since the loading on the gears is different between 5th and 6th. But I would think it would do it in any gear that produces a bogged down low RPM. My experience reference point is with my Jeep Atlas transfer case. The gears will make noise if the engine is bogged down in a gear that has low RPMs.

I think it still could be the differential since the loading on the gears is different between 5th and 6th. But I would think it would do it in any gear that produces a bogged down low RPM. My experience reference point is with my Jeep Atlas transfer case. The gears will make noise if the engine is bogged down in a gear that has low RPMs.
but at 80mph+ in 5th or 6th it's not low RPMs...

Mine (5BW) had a slight drone when it was brand new, but it's basically gone away at 1100 miles. Could have been the rear diff during break in. Dunno! That's why I'm having it changed in the fall before winter storage.

thanks for all the inputs. I forgot a word - vibration. It is present in 6th at 80 and ramps up noticeably as it accelerate further. Son said at 90, 90+ he felt it in the floor and seat back. Shifted to 5th, vibration and "drone" gone. Guess I'll take it in. Partially because we don't enjoy long highway drives and secondly cuz our son wants to buy it from us used at some point.... he's like fix that under warranty! LOL. Appreciate everyone's knowledge share.

thanks for all the inputs. I forgot a word - vibration. It is present in 6th at 80 and ramps up noticeably as it accelerate further. Son said at 90, 90+ he felt it in the floor and seat back. Shifted to 5th, vibration and "drone" gone. Guess I'll take it in. Partially because we don't enjoy long highway drives and secondly cuz our son wants to buy it from us used at some point.... he's like fix that under warranty! LOL. Appreciate everyone's knowledge share.
Service dept will have fun duplicating concern. :sneaky:;)

Deleted

Service dept will have fun duplicating concern. :sneaky:;)
100% a concern! I moved 155 miles away from a trusted dealer and am pondering having her flat-bedded there as I have no interest in driving 12 hours - 3 there and back to drop off and pick up.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back