Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4BW's Turning Off - Safety Risk

Looked at the procedure for the recall and that is the area of concern. Weird thing is they are not concerned with wiring rubbing through, rather they are concerned with the wiring rubbing through the brake line. No mention whatsoever of checking or repairing wiring, but if the brake line or fitting has a rub mark, replace it.

Looked at the procedure for the recall and that is the area of concern. Weird thing is they are not concerned with wiring rubbing through, rather they are concerned with the wiring rubbing through the brake line. No mention whatsoever of checking or repairing wiring, but if the brake line or fitting has a rub mark, replace it.
I don't believe this would be the problem. The recall is to prevent rubbing of the brake line which would result in total brake failure, rather than intermittent loss of power brakes. I could see a scenario where such rubbing causes the wires and the electrical system to throw a code causing the limp mode. Anyway, I got the letter too so I'll have them address the issue the next time I go in.

So I finally got a chance to throw the scan tool on this. PCM, power steering module, park assist module, bcm, dcm, escm, front view camera, lighting control module, telematics control module all have dtc's set for loss of communication with brake control module on can bus 1 or 2. The brake control module has codes for engine control indicated torque, and control module processor performance p0606. I may see if I can reflash the brake control module and see if the codes go away, and if so, drive it and see if it happens again. Really don't trust the dealer to figure this out.

Attachments

• PXL_20231025_211810329.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231025_211810329.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 59
My parts came in and I get mine fixed this Friday at Lindsay Cadillac

So I finally got a chance to throw the scan tool on this. PCM, power steering module, park assist module, bcm, dcm, escm, front view camera, lighting control module, telematics control module all have dtc's set for loss of communication with brake control module on can bus 1 or 2. The brake control module has codes for engine control indicated torque, and control module processor performance p0606. I may see if I can reflash the brake control module and see if the codes go away, and if so, drive it and see if it happens again. Really don't trust the dealer to figure this out.
In my experience with a scanner check, you can often see a lot of times that communication has been lost to various modules, but no operational issues were ever noticed. These pop up as history codes. There are so many modules on these cars and they are sensitive to power fluctuations that may make them cause a code, then they heal themselves. Frequent scans and noting the results might pinpoint something that is actually a problem. And you know that taking the car to the dealer with a code(s) that is not active is pretty much a waste of time.

My son's a journeyman tech and frequently goes home with customer vehicles rigged for data logging. Lots of times that they can't recreate the issue so in flight data recording is where it's at.

In my experience with a scanner check, you can often see a lot of times that communication has been lost to various modules, but no operational issues were ever noticed. These pop up as history codes. There are so many modules on these cars and they are sensitive to power fluctuations that may make them cause a code, then they heal themselves. Frequent scans and noting the results might pinpoint something that is actually a problem. And you know that taking the car to the dealer with a code(s) that is not active is pretty much a waste of time.
My son's a journeyman tech and frequently goes home with customer vehicles rigged for data logging. Lots of times that they can't recreate the issue so in flight data recording is where it's at.

I have done a lot of work diagnosing problems in electric power systems in my job. True story: The systems know when they're being watched, and they behave! Just like children (mostly)! Gotta hook up a longer term monitoring system, lull them into a sense of complacency, before you'll see the problem. :)

I have done a lot of work diagnosing problems in electric power systems in my job. True story: The systems know when they're being watched, and they behave! Just like children (mostly)! Gotta hook up a longer term monitoring system, lull them into a sense of complacency, before you'll see the problem. :)
Question, if we treat it like a child do we increase the severity of the punishment (on car) until you get the desired response???

Question, if we treat it like a child do we increase the severity of the punishment (on car) until you get the desired response???

It all depends on your parenting philosophy, I suppose. One of my philosophies, when dealing with my daughters, was: "Don't negotiate with terrorists." Second piece of advice to parents: Wear earplugs (when they're young & may cry loudly from time to time--you still hear them, but at least you can be around them).

I also read some good parenting books that helped. "Strangers Have the Best Candy" and "Daddy Drinks Because You Cry" are two that come to mind. ;)

Well Darn, add me to the list. Driving home Wednesday evening I lost electronic braking and the car went into 25mph limp mode. CEL hard on with U0121, U2418, U2419 codes. After pulling over and letting the car come to a full sleep, restarting still in limp mode but the brakes were back, I shut it off again and let it sleep and restarted a second time and this allowed me to get home not in limp mode. Dropped it off at the dealer, showed them the info in this thread and what I was able to find on the FB groups, showed them the dash cam video of the incident. They say, this code specs the brake control module to be replaced, but I pointed out others had this done and it did not seem to fix the issue. Its hard to explain just how concerning this is when this happens to you, it really gets your attention. I happened to be on a curvy 2 lane road, fortunately not pushing the car at all, but when I tried to brake for a corner there was none.

Video link;

Last edited:
So is there a confirmed cause and fix for this issue?

@dstewart51 ......that's just flat out scary. And in the dark no less. Thank goodness you weren't really flying and came up on a sharp curve when that happened.
Yeah, imagine if that happened in the midst of one tracking this little monster. Damn.
@dstewart51, please keep us updated w/diagnosis.

I have my car back, GM and the shop service techs seem convinced there was a can bus communication interruption cased by an unidentified OBD2 port accessory that was connected to the car at the time. Its possible, so for now all accessory's that may or may not have been attached will remain off the car for now. I have 30k miles on it, going to wait till the warranty period is up, give me another 6 moths or so, then may look at a HP Flash, too many issues with the JayBeFour :/

Well add mine to the list, driving home in rush hour traffic, went to hit the brakes and they were rock hard with little response. After avoiding the car I was behind I looked down and saw the dash lit up. Speed limited to 62mph, steering assist reduced, engine in quiet mode. Checked the codes PC121. My good scan tool is at the shop. Shutting it off and starting it back up shut all the lights off but the check engine and I got brakes back. Wish I had the other scan tool with me I have a feeling most of the codes are going to disappear.

Anything plugged into your OBD?

Trying to follow this thread and any solutions. So far I see:
1) MAP sensor, fixed issue (user Seth)
2) Brake system control. Did not work (user Furinax)
3) recall for brake sleeve- seems unrelated
4) wiring harness issue- seems unrelated
5)OBD port - unclear
blvckwing unplugged his JB4 and still got the problem
Furinax was told it was OBD for insurance plug in, unclear if that worked so far
dstewart51 told it was OBD

Last edited:
Anything plugged into your OBD?

Trying to follow this thread and any solutions. So far I see:
1) MAP sensor, fixed issue (user Seth)
2) Brake system control. Did not work (user Furinax)
3) recall for brake sleeve- seems unrelated
4) wiring harness issue- seems unrelated
5)OBD port - unclear
blvckwing unplugged his JB4 and still got the problem
Furinax was told it was OBD for insurance plug in, unclear if that worked so far
dstewart51 told it was OBD

Many owners do not participate in either FB or this forum.

It seems quite unlikely that we’re aware of 100% of incidence of this failure.

I picked a 4bw instead of an Alfa to get away from shit exactly like this.

Like others, my toddler son was a huge part of why I needed a 4 door.

Please, GM, the car is fantastic. Don’t force us to buy M3s. I don’t want to drive an M car. Do the right thing GM.

The fact that a dealer wants to blame an insurance dongle is either immoral or idiotic. How on earth could an OBDII reader disrupt steering and brakes? I thought Global B was a cybersecurity marvel. 🤡 💩

The wire harness recall seems unrelated.

The repeated failures of specified replacement parts, in conjunction with service department’s inability to describe the issue with any clarity whatsoever, is also pretty concerning.

It would seem GM has no idea what’s causing this and won’t admit it.

God forbid something happens to a driver, they’re cooked. Unfortunately, it seems inevitable, given the nature of the failures.

We’ve all bought GM’s trophy luxury supersedan, and they’re failing dangerously. Shit happens, but we deserve to be communicated to proactively.

Look at how porsche caters to gt3 clientele.

Alfa played this game with the first gen QV 2.9L v6tt engines in the US. They failed rampantly, and Alfa would just take the motor and ship it unopened to Italy for autopsy. They’d replace it and never tell owners what failed. 2 years later, they revised the cars to get a dual injection revision of same engine, without advertising the change at all. The reliability improved considerably from then on.

Many felt there should have been a recall and swap, but it’s been dealt with case by case.

GM: no one wants class actions and lemon laws. Just talk to us candidly and fix it.

Maybe throw in a free track day 😂

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners