Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

considering CT4-BW as a daily? a few questions

Azure

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I currently drive a miata and a boring Camry but am looking to pair with something fast and a bit more practical. Narrowed it down to the CT4V-BW, a regular CT5-V or CT4-V, Genesis G70 3.3T, and BMW M340i xDrive. I live near NYC so get occasional snow but not too much.

some of my questions: I see that the engine is the LF4 from the ATS-V, is this the exact same engine? wondering about future parts availability due to the rarity of the car.

Anyone else daily this car in Northeast? all of the other cars have AWD. I've gotten to drive the M340 but nothing else yet - loved the acceleration, decent handling. I see a few winter tire threads but they seem hard to find, but I have the capability to avoid driving at all if snow.

I used to have an Alfa Romeo Giulia and the car handled so well. Anyone compare the two? Engine was lacking in the Alfa though.

the BW is really high on my list due to the performance and exclusiveness, and longer warranty period.

Thank you for the help!

Yes, same LF4 as the ATS.

I daily mine in winter and have been through light snow with no issues. I've driven an Giulia, no comparison. It would take a Quadrifolio to get near the BlackWing.

I'm in NJ too. First snow was today and it did great on Nokian R3 winter tires. PTM is awesome and I was messing around with the different modes. I live on the side of a mountain and cruised straight up in PTM wet. If it really snows, I'd just WFH that day. Couple inches would be fine.

Funny you mention the M340 and Giulia - I came out of a Giulia lease (where I had picked it over the M340 because of the steering and handling).

Loved the Alfa, but 4BW is just another level in terms of power and ride/handling/feel.

Happy to discuss anything else if you have more specific questions.

Also to note, I spoke with the NJ Cadillac dealers and they were sketchy/overpricing like crazy. I ordered my car from Delaware Cadillac in Wilmington despite living 2 states over. They're doing a $3k ADM right now unfortunately but they get allocations frequently, and Bill, a salesman there (I'm working through) is a fellow 4BW owner and enthusiast.

Made the entire process so easy. Minus this last lil waiting bit... but that's the rodeo!

The other cars you are considering don't really compare to the Blackwing because they are automatic only. Given that you have a Miata I'm sure you appreciate driving involvement and superior dynamics, which the Blackwing excels at.

I had a G70 RWD (2.0T 6MT) and never had a problem with winter driving with snow tires on the car, and the Blackwing's PTM and electronic rear diff are much, much better than that car. Don't buy into the marketing hype...you don't *need* AWD just because you live where it snows. 👍

If more usable backseat space isn't necessary then I'd take the 4 Blackwing every day over the others, especially if you can work around the snow.

Its just a much better car dynamically then the others while being comfortable and can still come with all the nice features you'd expect not to mention a manual.

I'd also say it would hold its value more (especially in manual) then the others which is nice.

I can attest to the value of snow tires. Unbelievable difference, the sense of security with added traction makes driving in snow not a white knuckle event.
Must weight your options. Do you get another set of rims to mount snows? That means doubling the cost of tires and making room to store them. How soon and how long to keep them on? Warm days make the tires very greasy and quickly wear them away. Do you really get that much snow to make them worthwhile? Maybe just go to hi performance all seasons for the occasional cold/slushy rains.
I've decided that my BW will not exit heated garage once they start to brine roadways and until spring rains wash it and any salt away.
I have the luxury of choice of multiple vehicles so make it an easy decision. Good luck

I'll chime in. I live in Michigan, have a CT4V BW. Daily driven through all four seasons. I've driving multiple BMW M3's in Michigan winters without any issues. The Caddy has held up well this season already, with snow tires mind you, and would not hessitate to drive one in the winter. Back seat is plenty big for two car seats, trunk hold a double wide stroller and groceries no problem.

Cheers,
Christopher

Lived in Quebec for 2 years, talk about long awful winters: buy the car. Buy it darn it!
Season 13 Episode 6 GIF by The Simpsons

haha thanks for all the replies! I'd probably go with performance all seasons like Continental DWS since I do have my wifes car or will just not drive if it snows a significant amount. if I can find or order one at sticker this definitely solidified my decision.

If you're looking for a manual it may take a bit of leg work, but if you are looking for an automatic, you should have NJ/NY/CT dealers falling over themselves to sell you a 4BW at MSRP or better.

I'll chime in. I live in Michigan, have a CT4V BW. Daily driven through all four seasons. I've driving multiple BMW M3's in Michigan winters without any issues. The Caddy has held up well this season already, with snow tires mind you, and would not hessitate to drive one in the winter. Back seat is plenty big for two car seats, trunk hold a double wide stroller and groceries no problem.

Cheers,
Christopher
What settings do you run in the snow? I'm curious how Snow/Ice mode compares with PTM-wet.

I had a M2 and only time I was scared for my life even on snow tires is during an ice storm. The rear wheel couldn’t get enough grip going up a slight uneven off ramp causing me to slide into the next lane. Besides that one crazy scenario, I have driven 10 plus yrs on snow tires and they are rock solid even on RWD. All seasons on RWD sucks.

Mine is a daily driver, could borrow the wifes car if needed. A bit of snow and Ice at my home this morning, so elected to work from home. Still running the PS 4S's, dont want to risk it with questionable roads, but I have the luxury of working from home on bad weather days. It does snow, but it does not last long, roads are cleared quickly and the snow will melt in days, not months.

PTM is not only for the track. PTM-wet is fantastic on the street in the rain.... way better than Tour. I haven't used Snow/Ice yet.
Yea I don’t think it’s meant to be a street setting. Snow/ice mode changes the power delivery down low. Makes the car less torquey. PTM-wet is not a traction setting for the snow lol.

PTM is not only for the track.
Yea I don’t think it’s meant to be a street setting.

Page 264 of the CT4 owner's manual PDF:

PTM (Performance Traction Management) (If Equipped)
PTM controls vehicle performance systems for professional handling on race tracks.

And on page 262 it gives a chart of Driver Mode Control options that shows PTM is only available in Track mode.
EDIT: Also available in V Mode. (Thanks Throat Yogurt)

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners