Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Advice for A Daily

19-20 S63 AMG Sedan - If you love tech, you can't go wrong with merc
21-22 M5 Competition - If you want crazy performance and some tech, but you really can't beat the performace
21-22 RS7 - Kind of a mix of both, and that quattro system is amazing

I love the look of the RS7 and that would be my choice out of the list. BUT if you were thinking of the RS7, why not the RS6? You get everything the RS7 has but more cargo space.
Subaru beats the Audis for traction in rain or snow.

Subaru beats the Audis for traction in rain or snow.
Probably true now...but not with mechanical Quattro in days of old...

There are (or were?) videos of B5 S4 Quattro being the only vehicle to make it up a snowy ski slope in Europe somewhere...most of the others (that couldn't make it) were SUVs...with a Subaru and Volvo as well I think.

A buddy of mine has several Subarus (somewhat older ones admittedly) and they do great - no doubt....but my old Audi was absolutely unstoppable even plowing through 1 ft snow that rolled up over my front hood. Only problem was the very tight wheel well that would sometimes (often) accumulate ice...having the same problem with my 4 BW that is otherwise surprisingly good on snow.

Rain and ice traction were also both outstanding. I always wondered why folks were driving so slowly...thinking whats a little wet...turns out it was ice and I was just driving normally and couldn't even tell...traction control never went on....happened a few times.

I would like a larger car similar to the BW, since I do hve kids. Preferably auto and something with increased comfort. I am thinking RS7 or S63. The M5 would def be more visceral but comfort and tech would be emphasized over the performance
You might be amazed by the rear seat room in a Golf R (and I suspect Audi S3 isn't bad for its size)...but yeah you know your needs...

None of these cars are reliable. You will spend thousands if not tens of thousands on repairs. I have owned all 3 of these manufacturers. Brakes are especially pricey.
"Your mileage may vary". I've owned all three brands and never had a bit of trouble from any of them.

"Your mileage may vary". I've owned all three brands and never had a bit of trouble from any of them.
Did you have at least 20,000 miles on them? I have had multiple Audis which have had recalls and other problems in the first 10,000 miles. Everything from replacing the moon roof to excessive oil consumption due to defective rings. BMWs are notorious for expensive repairs. Brakes on the BMWs and Mercedes are ridiculously expensive.

Everyone in the thread is WRONG. The only answer is a Jaguar F Pace SVR. Super fun, very precise, really sure-footed in inclement weather. Jaguar quality is nothing like we all remember from when we were growing up.

Everyone in the thread is WRONG. The only answer is a Jaguar F Pace SVR. Super fun, very precise, really sure-footed in inclement weather. Jaguar quality is nothing like we all remember from when we were growing up.
Shhhh I'm going to buy one next year and want people to continue overlooking them.

Did you have at least 20,000 miles on them? I have had multiple Audis which have had recalls and other problems in the first 10,000 miles. Everything from replacing the moon roof to excessive oil consumption due to defective rings. BMWs are notorious for expensive repairs. Brakes on the BMWs and Mercedes are ridiculously expensive.
Jim,

My family has had 3 MB cars, about 50,000 miles put on between the three of them. They are not AMG and were bought brand new or with relatively low miles. We hve had no problems with them. Im hesitant with BMW, a lot of horror stories. Audi with a maintenance package and CPO would be my way to go.

What would you suggest in place of these vehicles that would have similar performance, AWD, and space to boot ?

I have looked into the X5M and SVR as well but they are obviously heavier and not as maneuverable as a sedan.

Go drive an SVR. Blew me away. Drives way more like a sports car than most SUVs (says me, coming from a Trackhawk that I traded for the SVR).

Thank you, finally somebody with an answer along with useful information behind it! Precise handling over straight line speed is the stuff of a true performance car. Jaguar has had issues in the past but overlooking a car based solely off history would write off a lot of vehicles.

I will look into this vehicle .. please keep the suggestions coming along with your experiences and research.

Go drive an SVR. Blew me away. Drives way more like a sports car than most SUVs (says me, coming from a Trackhawk that I traded for the SVR).
I meant RR SVR, but I will def do my research on the Jaguar.

Did you have at least 20,000 miles on them?
Yes sir and I still own the 2018 Audi Q5 Premium that I bought new. Haven't spent a dime on any of the aforementioned vehicles other than normal maintenance. I understand that sometimes it just happens. No disrespect, but just because you had bad luck, does not mean they are to be branded as unreliable vehicles.

When you drive the Jag SVR, make sure you put it in Dynamic mode and click the shifter into S mode. The car is REALLY rowdy that way, but when you put it back into normal no one would guess it's so wicked. The SVRs are a bargain compared to RSQ8, X5M, etc.

If we're on "unreliable but fun" I have to mention the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

I had a base Giulia and my wife has the Stelvio now (non-Quad) and the base cars drive extremely similarly. The Stelvio just feels like it's got a 2 inch lift kit but otherwise very close. I would imagine the Quads are even closer together.

Jim,

My family has had 3 MB cars, about 50,000 miles put on between the three of them. They are not AMG and were bought brand new or with relatively low miles. We hve had no problems with them. Im hesitant with BMW, a lot of horror stories. Audi with a maintenance package and CPO would be my way to go.

What would you suggest in place of these vehicles that would have similar performance, AWD, and space to boot ?

I have looked into the X5M and SVR as well but they are obviously heavier and not as maneuverable as a sedan.
If you need AWD, then perhaps a Subaru WRX STI. The last one I drove was a blast to drive. But why do you need AWD? Just put on some proper tires on any car. Michelin Cross Climate 2 works great in the snow and also in the wet. Dry handling is also very good.

Even though the SVR has great acceleration, the reviews state that the lateral acceleration is only .89 on the skidpad which is OK but nothing like our Blackwings. How was the steering? Soft or hard? Is it adjustable?

Steering has 2 settings, suspension also 2 settings. Not as adjustable/customizable as my Trackhawk was but the suspension is a lot more compliant yet locked down than the Trackhawk was. The SVR flies under everyone's radar but if you go watch reviews like Harrys Garage and Throttle House, you will have a good idea of it's assets.

.89 in an SUV is nothing sneeze at. By my informal testing, hitting about .75g in corners will have your passengers screaming and/or punching you in the arm to stop. I got over 1g in my Trackhawk several times (by myself).

Steering has 2 settings, suspension also 2 settings. Not as adjustable/customizable as my Trackhawk was but the suspension is a lot more compliant yet locked down than the Trackhawk was. The SVR flies under everyone's radar but if you go watch reviews like Harrys Garage and Throttle House, you will have a good idea of it's assets.

.89 in an SUV is nothing sneeze at. By my informal testing, hitting about .75g in corners will have your passengers screaming and/or punching you in the arm to stop. I got over 1g in my Trackhawk several times (by myself
The .89 is not bad for an SUV, but I like vehicles that can pull at least 1g. The freedom of choice of vehicles is wonderful. The Trackhawk is a beast and it would be a hoot to test drive and own one. You were fortunate to own one of those.

IMG_6618.jpeg

I’d recommend the M5 as the ultimate daily, Blackwing aside. 🙂 It really is great, bulletproof after 2 years so far (one unscheduled dealer visit), comfortable, fast, 2WD, 4WD it will do it all.

My wife has a 2020 F-Pace S (not SVR) and that has been great as well. Just scheduled maintenance so far over the past 4 years that we’ve owned it.

View attachment 23831

I’d recommend the M5 as the ultimate daily, Blackwing aside. 🙂 It really is great, bulletproof after 2 years so far (one unscheduled dealer visit), comfortable, fast, 2WD, 4WD it will do it all.

My wife has a 2020 F-Pace S (not SVR) and that has been great as well. Just scheduled maintenance so far over the past 4 years that we’ve owned it.
Isn't this the same engine as in the M550? I know that the engine in the M550 has a lot of reliability issues.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back