Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackstone Labs 0W-40: ESP X3 v Supercar

LongGrayLine16

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5-V BW (86-027)
I decided that the debate needed to be officially settled. I sent off two virgin samples of Mobil 1 0W-40 for evaluation on similarities.

1. Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP X3
2. Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar

I paid for the additional TBN analysis. I’d just say that the two oils are virtually the same. So similar that I will continue to do the Mobil 1 deals online to get ESP X3 at about $6-7/quart vs. the $10-12/quart Supercar. I’d rather do an oil change every 3k miles/6 months/track day than run Supercar for a couple thousand miles more at the temptation of a more expensive oil change.

Kind of silly to spend $90 on the reports - could have just paid for another 10 quarts haha. But, I was dying to know on the inside.

Last edited:
Had the same curiosity and thank you for investing in an objective answer!

Not fully up to speed on the topic, but assume it has to do with the Dexos rating between the two?

From what I read, just a rebranding strategy for ' Dexos R'. If what I read is accurate, it's the exact same oil with new branding (SuperCar sounds and hence is more expensive 😉 )

If anyone wants to see the reports I’d share them for $5, lol.

From what I read, just a rebranding strategy for ' Dexos R'. If what I read is accurate, it's the exact same oil with new branding (SuperCar sounds and hence is more expensive 😉 )
So the rebrand was from ESP to Supercar. Those two are 100% the same and carry dexosR.

ESP X3 is actually a different oil, called for by performance Porsche vehicles and other euro cars. This carries dexos 2. But the lab report tells a story that they are virtually the same.

How does ESP X3 price compare to ESP or SuperCar? If it's Porsche specific, I'm assuming it's more than ESP at least and maybe more than SuperCar??

AutoZone does a deal where you buy Mobil 1 by the quart and add a filter and it’s like $40. Then you just return the filters. Comes out to about $6.5/quart. But retail price for ESP X3 is $11.50/qt.

This was covered over on bobistheoilguy.

The oils are different. Perform differently and analyze differently.

Also, if you search for 'dexosR' over there, you get a ton of analysis of all the M1 products avail vs just about everything else, RP, Amsoil, etc...

This was covered over on bobistheoilguy.
I would agree that this was 'discussed' on that site, as well as other Corvette forums.

But aside from referencing the SDS's and Data Sheets on Mobil 1's website, it appeared as though no one was sharing actual laboratory oil analysis. So I chose to reach out to Blackstone Labs. Understandably, they wouldn't release the reports of virgin samples they had on file to me, as I was not the original customer. So I paid to have the two virgin samples analyzed.

I'm not saying they aren't different. Just that they are so very similar that they might be used interchangeably with no consequence. Do what you'd like. I wasn't comfortable with the hypotheses presented (I'm well versed in Hazardous Goods transportation - the MSDS/SDS are a good 20 foot test, but should not be used for a scientific conclusion on similarities) so I spent the $90 to have the two scientifically compared.

I would agree that this was 'discussed' on that site, as well as other Corvette forums.

But aside from referencing the SDS's and Data Sheets on Mobil 1's website, it appeared as though no one was sharing actual laboratory oil analysis. So I chose to reach out to Blackstone Labs. Understandably, they wouldn't release the reports of virgin samples they had on file to me, as I was not the original customer. So I paid to have the two virgin samples analyzed.

I'm not saying they aren't different. Just that they are so very similar that they might be used interchangeably with no consequence. Do what you'd like. I wasn't comfortable with the hypotheses presented (I'm well versed in Hazardous Goods transportation - the MSDS/SDS are a good 20 foot test, but should not be used for a scientific conclusion on similarities) so I spent the $90 to have the two scientifically compared.
I'm a big fan of Blackstone...been using them for 20 years on all my vehicles, oil and diff/transmission fluids.

But Blackstone analysis only gives you a 'one moment in time' snapshot of the properties. On the cars I track, the analysis is only useful after the oil has some hard use/track miles on it. I learned that in my 2003 Mustang Cobra...switched to Amsoil after everyone was swearing it was magic...including guys who posted Blackstone reports showing it was so much better than the Mobil 1. After one interval with Amsoil, my numbers were horrid. Amsoil was garbage if you run it at the edge.

Do I think there is such a dramatic difference between Supercar/dexosR and X3? No. But despite conspiracy theories, I do not think it's the same stuff in a different bottle. I do believe that GM and Mobil analyze the tens of millions of run hours on the LT1/2/4/5 and said 'hey, we are seeing this as a consistent trend...we should make a change to mitigate it'. It's why there is a new flavor of Supercar for the ZLE/C8Z...

BTW - I also love how every car forum has oil threads. They are usually the most entertaining. :D

I decided that the debate needed to be officially settled. I sent off two virgin samples of Mobil 1 0W-40 for evaluation on similarities.

1. Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP X3
2. Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar

I paid for the additional TBN analysis. I’d just say that the two oils are virtually the same. So similar that I will continue to do the Mobil 1 deals online to get ESP X3 at about $6-7/quart vs. the $10-12/quart Supercar. I’d rather do an oil change every 3k miles/6 months/track day than run Supercar for a couple thousand miles more at the temptation of a more expensive oil change.

Kind of silly to spend $90 on the reports - could have just paid for another 10 quarts haha. But, I was dying to know on the inside.
thx, good to know this info. I'm coming up on my first oil change...

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back