Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Oil change for ct5V BW

CT5-V Model

NoirFrostV

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
Getting ready to change the oil in my ct5v Blackwing at the 500 mile mark. I just want to verify the correct oil and filter. From what I understand it’s 10 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 supercar formula and the pf64 filter. I’ve attached both below. Please anyone let me know if this is correct.

Also is the oil change a straightforward job on these cars or are there any weird things I should know?

That looks like it. The oil filters are a good bit cheaper in bulk of 6 or 8 as I recall.

No oddities changing the oil and if you like doing it yourself, I'd suggest the Fumoto plug valve to make it even easier for future jobs (and grab the optional hose to insure a drip free experience.)

That looks like it. The oil filters are a good bit cheaper in bulk of 6 or 8 as I recall.

No oddities changing the oil and if you like doing it yourself, I'd suggest the Fumoto plug valve to make it even easier for future jobs (and grab the optional hose to insure a drip free experience.)
Sounds good, thanks for the advice. So it’s 10 quarts correct?

From the 2024 CT5 Manual (9 quarts with filter, dexos R):

1702917254940.png

1702917383374.png

1702917306093.png

Filter:
1702917426052.png

I used race ramps (72" length 10" lift) for my first oil change by me. Access to the filter and plug is straight forward.

The plug is pointed to the side and hot oil shoots out of there far. I used a piece of cardboard to control it into the oil drain pan.

I bought the Dexos R 0-40 mobil one Supercar on Amazon. 6 quart cases. PF64 is the filter. I use AC Delco for warranty.

Easy car to perform an oil change. No panels need to be removed.

Raceramps for the win! They are expensive, but sometimes the right tool for the job has a price. Admittedly you can make standard ramps work with some creatively stacked 2x6's, but I have a Cadillac and I'm above that sort of hackery :cool:

I have a lot of reasons for doing my own oil changes, and one of them is preventing an overfilled condition. Back when I was getting dealer service on various cars, 100% success rate of them overfilling. I would suggest not using 10qts, rather put in 9 and let it sit overnight on level ground and check in the morning.

Regarding Amazon, between me and my family, that gray van is out front almost daily. One thing it doesn't bring me anymore is filters and oil. I have a Ram with a Cummins and 9 out of 10 vendors is peddling counterfeit fuel filters. It's not worth the risk to save a few bucks, to me anyway.

Getting ready to change the oil in my ct5v Blackwing at the 500 mile mark. I just want to verify the correct oil and filter. From what I understand it’s 10 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 supercar formula and the pf64 filter. I’ve attached both below. Please anyone let me know if this is correct.

Also is the oil change a straightforward job on these cars or are there any weird things I should know?

I was going to wait until about 2500 miles. You say 500?

I was going to wait until about 2500 miles. You say 500?
To each is own I guess. I went at 1k and that's what really matters to me and my break in procedure. 1k-2k on brand new motor you should really drain it and put new filter on. After that you can do whatever you like I suppose......

A year ago I think advanced auto or autozone had a sale on the dexos R motor oil. I think it came out to like 6 dollars a quart or so. I bought like a mountain of the stuff.

Get an angled funnel for filling. Mine always took 10 to get the dipstick to read in the middle, but I did drain that sucker for half the day.

It really comes down to how long you plan to keep the car. I typically keep cars well over 100k miles so change oil (synthetic) at about 7,500 mile intervals. But honestly I think it is very rare for someone to sell a car because the engine is worn out now a days so I’m sure you could go longer without any issues. It is all the other issues that cause us to sell a car. For my new 5 BW 6 speed I chose to change engine oil, trans and rear diff oil at about 2,000 miles because this car is a keeper and will be with me for a long time. I’ll do my engine oil changes after 7,500 miles thereafter. Trans and diff will get changed again at about 40,000 miles. This is what works for me.

It really comes down to how long you plan to keep the car. I typically keep cars well over 100k miles so change oil (synthetic) at about 7,500 mile intervals. But honestly I think it is very rare for someone to sell a car because the engine is worn out now a days so I’m sure you could go longer without any issues. It is all the other issues that cause us to sell a car. For my new 5 BW 6 speed I chose to change engine oil, trans and rear diff oil at about 2,000 miles because this car is a keeper and will be with me for a long time. I’ll do my engine oil changes after 7,500 miles thereafter. Trans and diff will get changed again at about 40,000 miles. This is what works for me.

How hard was it to change the trans fluid? Also oem or aftermarket fluid? Manual or auto?

Mine is getting a bit notchy at 15k miles and im wondering if a fluid change would improve it.

It is the manual. I have probably changed manual trans fluid a couple dozen times in my life and it is kind of fun as long as you have drain plug. This Tremec 6060 does, however I had the dealer change it, and the rear diff and engine oil. They did use OEM trans fluid, which happens to be AT fluid according to the manual. I was skeptical about that and looked it up on the Tremec website and, yes, it calls for AT fluid. I’m guessing that with only 15k miles on your trans fluid that a fluid change will not fix your notchy issue UNLESS they did not fully fill it from the factory. If it were me, I would change it.

Last edited:
I changed the oil at 1500 miles. Read the owner's manual on how to check the level, and you'll see that it takes a while to get all of the oil to drain down into the pan. For this reason, I suggest draining the oil, and then have a beer, or lunch, or both, before replacing the plug and refilling.

And it's easier to add one quart than to remove one quart, so put in 9, run the car, check the level, and add as needed, if needed.

I changed the oil at 1500 miles. Read the owner's manual on how to check the level, and you'll see that it takes a while to get all of the oil to drain down into the pan. For this reason, I suggest draining the oil, and then have a beer, or lunch, or both, before replacing the plug and refilling.
Now that’s some real OCD. I get the engine hot, drain, wait about 1 hour and finish the job. By that time it’s an intermittent drip, good enough. Then it takes 9 quarts.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back