Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V CT5 Blackwing Oil potentially wrong?

CT5-V Model

nktn1985

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5 Blackwing
This is just a PSA for those that go to dealerships to have their oil changed - please ASK to see the oil they are putting in your car. I stopped by my normal dealership to pick up a few QUARTS of ESP / Supercar oil for top off at gas refuel. The gentleman brought out Mobil1 European Car Formula 0w-40 (pic attached) --- while I am still new to my BW I also knew GM calls for Mobil1 ESP Formula aka rebranded Supercar (pic also attached). I also had a Hellcat Charger and Trackhawk prior --- from a prior experience of wrongdoing I always double check stuff now to be safe.

I obviously questioned it bc the bottle they tried to sell me did not have approved DEXOS stamp per manual and some of the additives did not match ESP/Supercar formula from what I researched on Mobil1 website after. They based this on the weight 0w-40 matched specs and what GM sent and approved for them. Correct me if I am wrong please because IMO if it's not correct for our high performing cars the longevity of these cars may be compromised in due time.

He grabbed my VIN and it did pull up ESP/Supercar oil as expected but still eye opening that they admitted having been using potentially the wrong oil (at least in my opinion it was wrong). And I could be wrong out of sheer ignorance but better safe than sorry - therefore I am hoping to find out more from other members to either ease my concern that the oil they did offer is okay and or validate my concern that it is in fact wrong.

I called another dealership gave them my VIN and they supplied me the correct oil and part number. I raised this awareness with both Parts and Service to not call them out for any wrongdoing but to please kick it up the chain to ensure a potential oversight is resolved to reduce any future exposure both for them and the car owner.

If anyone is in the Cincinnati area and want to learn if they were potentially part of this oversight DM me. I have a few more miles before my oil change and would like to figure this out before possibly hurting my car.

Attachments

• wrong oil.jpg
    wrong oil.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 79
  • esp.jpg
    esp.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 81
  • supercar.jpg
    supercar.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Update from Mobil1 directly - we all know what oil needs to be used - just make sure your dealership does. Could very well been an honest mistake but that mistake can cost you $100K car

"The Mobil 1 FS (European Formula) 0W-40 does not have the dexosR or dexos2 approval required by GM. I have attached the product launch document by Mobil for the Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40."

Attachments

• EM SGA - Corvette Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 One Pager.pdf
    444.3 KB · Views: 130
I assume the CT4 Blackwing takes a different oil viscosity and does not require the supercar formula. Our manual does not call for the supercar formula.

Whatever oil a car takes one can count on the dealership to F it up one way or another. These are untrained high-school dropouts working on your $100K car.

I started a lengthy thread about this. Euro is wrong & not approved. Most dealers are idiots.

I made a point of asking the dealer to be sure to use the correct oil when I got my "free" oil change. They assured me they knew what oil to use. I checked the part number afterward and it was the correct part number. Let's hope that's what really went in 🤞

I made a point of asking the dealer to be sure to use the correct oil when I got my "free" oil change. They assured me they knew what oil to use. I checked the part number afterward and it was the correct part number. Let's hope that's what really went in 🤞
Great you checked. I will be making sure they show me the bottles before it goes in just to be safe.

I started a lengthy thread about this. Euro is wrong & not approved. Most dealers are idiots.
They were not even using the ESP Euro they just grabbed a EURO FS 0-40 M1 which was what raised a major flag for me

Last edited:
Whatever oil a car takes one can count on the dealership to F it up one way or another. These are untrained high-school dropouts working on your $100K car.

You have a bad attitude and obviously don't trust anyone.

And I agree with you 100%. ;)

Some of the posts above are confusing; we must use the DexosR formula, right? What I'm not clear on, is if that ESP variation conforms to that standard. Apparently the Supercar version does.

A quick Google search shows that they sell for around $10 a quart, which means that I'm looking at a $100 oil change (DIY) which makes me somewhat a little tempted to bring it to Cadillac for my freebie, but then I think... nah.

You have a bad attitude and obviously don't trust anyone.

And I agree with you 100%. ;)

Some of the posts above are confusing; we must use the DexosR formula, right? What I'm not clear on, is if that ESP variation conforms to that standard. Apparently the Supercar version does.

A quick Google search shows that they sell for around $10 a quart, which means that I'm looking at a $100 oil change (DIY) which makes me somewhat a little tempted to bring it to Cadillac for my freebie, but then I think... nah.
I believe the ESP was just rebranded as Supercar, but it's the same oil. Just take it to the dealer for the freebie and verify a few times they're using the right oil. You can search on the Cadillac website for dealers that have V certified service departments too. Before leaving check the invoice for the parts number of the oil they used and make sure it's right.

Supercar was rebranded from ESP Formula. I bought a few boxes of these from Amazon
Awesome price, thanks for the heads-up! I just looked online, and it seems that the actual market price of the Mobil 1 ESP/Supercar today is $11.49/qt. Ouch.

Supercar was rebranded from ESP Formula. I bought a few boxes of these from Amazon

Thanks for the link. There was a related product suggestion for Amazon Basics 0W-20 oil that's much cheaper so I'll just use that. I'll just add a little more oil to get that 20 closer to 40, but at 40% the price I think the savings will be worth well it.

Thanks for the link. There was a related product suggestion for Amazon Basics 0W-20 oil that's much cheaper so I'll just use that. I'll just add a little more oil to get that 20 closer to 40, but at 40% the price I think the savings will be worth well it.
Geez, I hope you are joking! That oil doesn't meet the standard required for our cars' engines. There's a reason that it's so much cheaper, and it's not just marketing & profit.

Need
Geez, I hope you are joking! That oil doesn't meet the standard required for our cars' engines. There's a reason that it's so much cheaper, and it's not just marketing & profit.
Statement like that needs to be backed up with facts!
Ever since mobile change their labeling, everything’s become even more confusing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
Nothing wrong with house brand oils if they meet the standard of the car you're putting it in. I'm going to assume based on how outrageous your comment is that it's just some good old fashioned oil thread trolling

Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners