Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V AFM for manual CT5-V Blackwing

CT5-V Model

Exia

Seasoned Member
So I've seen that the 5V Blackwing has AFM much like previous LT4 engines, however I know in prior manual LT4 applications like the Camaro ZL1 or C7 Z06 that AFM wasn't included or only worked when in Eco mode.

Does a manual 5V Blackwing have AFM or only the automatic? If the manual does have it can it activate in any mode when not under load or only in a specific drive mode? I always disliked AFM and would love to avoid going into it on the 5V.

This question came up in the past and I'm not sure we had a definitive answer. Pretty sure on my prior V3 it did have active fuel management. I recall a few times seeing a V4 indicator in the dash while loafing around town at low speeds. You wouldn't know unless you saw the indicator and there was no lag getting on the power.

In my A10 5 BW, I'm not sure I've ever seen a V4 indicator in nearly 17k miles. If it's there, it's non-existent as part of the user experience and there's no button to turn it off. My guess is the BW doesn't have it but it's a guess from a single data-point. Let's see what others say.

6MT does not have it. I'm super mad they didn't program it for the manual. Auto only feature. lazy bullshit to not figure out how to include it for both transmissions.

Thank god the manual doesn't have it.

6MT does not have it. I'm super mad they didn't program it for the manual. Auto only feature. lazy bullshit to not figure out how to include it for both transmissions.

I guarantee you that you do not want it. Fuel economy increases are hardly worth mentioning and AFM is known to cause issues.

I guarantee you that you do not want it. Fuel economy increases are hardly worth mentioning and AFM is known to cause issues.
It shouldn't. My S6 had it and it really helped on long trips and you couldn't tell when it switched on and off. Totally transparent. I do wish my 5BW 6MT had it. Silly to waste gas on the interstate, need to save it for the fun roads!

GMs implementation isn't good on manuals, on the automatics they feel seamless but my Z06 is the only implementation of it with the manual (and it requires Eco mode). It feels horrendous on my Z06.

Not to mention GM has had issues with AFM on its models, the Blackwing really won't see a large improvement and it isn't worth the risk of destroying your lifters.

My 5BW A10 in Tour mode and at times in Sport does/will indicate the V4 on the dash. Since its at cruise or "light duty" at the time when its flashes there is no "performance" difference or gas mileage "increase" indicated by V4 light that I can tell to catch any "trend". Its a light right now I watch, like the 50+ other lights on the car. Thats again, for an A10 5BW.

How do you mean "issues"?

Now this light on dash of A10 5BW is a different story. Seen it lately with results.

Attachments

• Performance Shift Light A10.jpg
    Performance Shift Light A10.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 109
How do you mean "issues"?
Google GM AFM problems.

The biggest issue is the lifters are prone to failing more then lifters in a vehicle without AFM. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I wouldn't want AFM to cause an issue with my lifters.

Its especially an issue in the full size SUVs and pickup trucks. Now I know these V8s aren't the same but the point is they bring in more risk of failure for a very small MPG gain. I think its better to not have AFM on your GM vehicle long term, you won't notice the difference on your gas bill. I'll take a 1mpg hit on a Blackwing to avoid having lifter issues down the line. Its not like we weren't aware these cars aren't great with fuel economy.

My 5BW A10 in Tour mode and at times in Sport does/will indicate the V4 on the dash. Since its at cruise or "light duty" at the time when its flashes there is no "performance" difference or gas mileage "increase" indicated by V4 light that I can tell to catch any "trend". Its a light right now I watch, like the 50+ other lights on the car. Thats again, for an A10 5BW.
Interesting. I am surprised they enabled AFM on the LT4 A10 Blackwings. Neither the A10 or M6 Camaro ZL1s have AFM enabled, which is ideal. The actual hardware is in the engine but tuned out. You also don't need the AFM exhaust valves to handle the horrible sound when it switched to V4 mode.

No sound diff on exhaust or performance in Sport or Tour, as far as i can tell in the cabin. The car flashes V4 on certain occasions depending upon the driver, and driving. Its active on the 5Vee.

Thank god the manual doesn’t have AFM or any shift gear lockout for fuel economy. Would’ve ruined the driving experience.

Im happy to not have AFM, thats the first thing that went away on my V3 with the cam swap.

Thank god the manual doesn’t have AFM or any shift gear lockout for fuel economy. Would’ve ruined the driving experience.
Just drive the A10 in track like I do, and you will never experience it apparently. I'm not even sure I've seen it in Sport. It was seamless/lagless on the V3 so I wouldn't worry about it on the 5 BW A10 at all.

So, I'm not mad about it?? koolaid drank.
I truly love my car. I thought I wanted that feature though. Kind of like CF1. . . thought I wanted it, but it's SOOO sleeper (to those hard of hearing). hahahahah

I absolutely HATE the start/stop feature. My Expedition has it. The first thing I do when I get in is turn it off. I'm very happy the Blackwings don't have it.

Never been a big fan of AFM. I've had it on other cars and really didn't notice it. On the 5BW, I don't notice it either. I don't think it kicks in much considering how I drive. I'm not an engineer, but it can't be good for the engine long term.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back