Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW General Questions Thread

FWIW, on my 4BW the low fuel warning came on at around 30 miles remaining. When I went to fill up it appears I had about 2 gallons left.
Agreed. I had about 3 gallons left when it came on for me ;)

Question for all you smart people: What does the "Engine/Shift" field control in the various modes in a 6MT?
I know the "Engine sound" field controls both the exhaust flaps and the piped-in noise, but I can't figure out what engine/shift does, or why it is missing from My Mode. I am guessing in a 10A it changes the shift points/aggressiveness.

^Not an expert. Not a Holiday Inn Express customer, but...
... it's throttle response for sure. But it is not as simple as moving the setting further to the right makes it 'more responsive' ie. touchier, it works with the use case of the mode it is associated with by default.

The modes in general and throttle response specifically, is addressed by the Cadillac engineer in this video:

I asked earlier - maybe in this thread - why it's not in My Mode and a guess was that you can not have 'adjusted' from the baseline throttle in your car at startup. IDK about that, but that was a reply.

Actually it was this - in regards to 'engine' - that I just asked here, the My mode part must have been from a different thread:
Do different engine levels (tour, sport, track) impact the amount of cooling that turns on?
I didn't see anything in the manual saying as such and maybe the car is smart enough to turn it on as needed regardless of mode?

Asking as with the M2C, when in Sport+ the fans would engage much earlier/by default be on, compared to Comfort and Sport.

I can't figure out what engine/shift does
Per the owner's manual:

Transmission Shift Mode
Sport or Track – Dynamic Performance Mode (DPM) allows the transmission to hold the current gear after a quick release of a heavily applied accelerator pedal. This provides greater engine braking and enhanced vehicle control without using the paddles. DPM recognizes aggressive cornering, heavy braking, and high acceleration to select and hold lower gears when not using paddles. The shifts are also firmer to increase the quickness of shifting.

or why it is missing from My Mode
Per the owner's manual:

My Mode
My Mode is used to personalize
everyday driving. This mode is designed to allow the driver to configure vehicle systems to their own preference for city or normal driving.

The stuff I highlighted in red shows that the transmission tuning is for sporty driving, and My Mode is for non-sporty driving.

Per the owner's manual:

Transmission Shift Mode
Sport or Track – Dynamic Performance Mode (DPM) allows the transmission to hold the current gear after a quick release of a heavily applied accelerator pedal. This provides greater engine braking and enhanced vehicle control without using the paddles. DPM recognizes aggressive cornering, heavy braking, and high acceleration to select and hold lower gears when not using paddles. The shifts are also firmer to increase the quickness of shifting.
That's for the BWs with training wheels 😉
Holding gears doesn't apply to manuals.

Per the owner's manual:

Transmission Shift Mode

Per the owner's manual:

My Mode
everyday driving. This mode is designed to allow the driver to configure vehicle systems to their own preference for city or normal driving.

The stuff I highlighted in red shows that the transmission tuning is for sporty driving, and My Mode is for non-sporty driving.
Transmission tuning...meaning whether or not it was arm day at the gym? 😬

That's why I specified my question was about the 6MT...I assumed that it altered shift points on the 10A, but I couldn't tell any difference on the 6MT.

That's for the BWs with training wheels 😉
Holding gears doesn't apply to manuals.

Duh. I shouldn't internet before my first cup of coffee ...

I suspect that what you wrote is probably the answer for the "Shift" part of "Engine/Shift": "Doesn't apply to manuals." For the "Engine" part of "Engine/Shift", anyway.

That's why I specified my question was about the 6MT...I assumed that it altered shift points on the 10A, but I couldn't tell any difference on the 6MT.

The manual looks like it has "Engine/Shift" labeled as "Powertrain". It says that option actually controls 3 things:

"Powertrain adjusts the throttle response, gear shifting and engine performance."

"Engine performance" is pretty vague, and "gear shifting" likely does not apply to a manual. But I would expect the "throttle response" to apply. Do you notice anything with throttle progression when you adjust Engine/Shift?

The manual looks like it has "Engine/Shift" labeled as "Powertrain". It says that option actually controls 3 things:

"Powertrain adjusts the throttle response, gear shifting and engine performance."

"Engine performance" is pretty vague, and "gear shifting" likely does not apply to a manual. But I would expect the "throttle response" to apply. Do you notice anything with throttle progression when you adjust Engine/Shift?

I just realized that I can adjust that independently in V mode (it is labeled as "engine/shift" in my car). Now I have something to mess with on my way home. Will report back.

Per the owner's manual:

Transmission Shift Mode

Per the owner's manual:

My Mode

Isn't that when a green gear shows up on the screen?

I just realized that I can adjust that independently in V mode (it is labeled as "engine/shift" in my car). Now I have something to mess with on my way home. Will report back.
Ah man how the hell have you not customized the crap oot of that yet 😉
You can also set the PTM in there which is cool.

TBF I basically turned it into another Track Mode, but with Suspension in the middle and PTM set to Dry.

Per the owner's manual:

Transmission Shift Mode

Per the owner's manual:

My Mode

I've used the "Transmission Shift Mode" many times and its great.

Ah man how the hell have you not customized the crap oot of that yet 😉
You can also set the PTM in there which is cool.

TBF I basically turned it into another Track Mode, but with Suspension in the middle and PTM set to Dry.
I've customized it somewhat, same as you except I also set steering to middle along with suspension. Haven't messed around with PTM, I'm saving that for after break-in. ;)

I've customized it somewhat, same as you except I also set steering to middle along with suspension. Haven't messed around with PTM, I'm saving that for after break-in. ;)
Ofc! Still early doors for you.
Ya I had steering mid until I really enjoyable canyon blast in Track, so I thought I would move it up.
Total opposite of the M2c where the heavy steering was crap, with the 4BW, it's the tour that is meh for me.

I dont tap. Scott from tap out said dont do it. My V mode has not PTM since the PTM switch is right there and I can get into it no matter what mode. It also makes exiting out of it easier.

I dont tap. Scott from tap out said dont do it. My V mode has not PTM since the PTM switch is right there and I can get into it no matter what mode. It also makes exiting out of it easier.
I don't understand, I thought you could tap V button twice and it will send the car to the PTM pre-selected? Did I read that wrong n the manual? Thats what we did at SM...I guess I'm lost..

I don't understand, I thought you could tap V button twice and it will send the car to the PTM pre-selected? Did I read that wrong n the manual? Thats what we did at SM...I guess I'm lost..
No your right. But how do you exit? With no PTM set up in V mode you can use the PTM switch on wheel to get PTM and out, "inactive" but also exit V mode with one click vs the TC button. The choice is yours hence the different ways.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back