Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

288 Miles and an engine failure

Who is Mizra? I know he is a member but does he design the blackwings at GM?

Here's his 500 mile "full send" post: linky

Here's a post where he talks about why the 4BW does not - and can not - have a V8: moar link

It's 1500 miles for track use. Being out on track, full throttle and at high speeds for 20-30 minutes is going to generate way more heat than a hard launch.

Edit: Meant to be funny, not rude.
Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Car is FINALLY back after nearly 3 months with not only a new long block, but a new gas tank and much, much more. It sounds like what happened was the evap canister or something else with gas tank emissions filled up with fuel & that was causing the ecu to think everything was running rich & leaned things out to the point where it fried an entire bank of spark plugs and caused the rings to stop sealing well. The supercharger was then pushing pressure into the crankcase leading to blown out seals.

Bottom line is original engine didn’t fail, rather something else happened that caused the engine to fail. Makes me kind of wonder if this is also what happened with the car and driver long term tester engine. It definitely sounds similar.

Car is FINALLY back after nearly 3 months with not only a new long block, but a new gas tank and much, much more. It sounds like what happened was the evap canister or something else with gas tank emissions filled up with fuel & that was causing the ecu to think everything was running rich & leaned things out to the point where it fried an entire bank of spark plugs and caused the rings to stop sealing well. The supercharger was then pushing pressure into the crankcase leading to blown out seals.

Bottom line is original engine didn’t fail, rather something else happened that caused the engine to fail. Makes me kind of wonder if this is also what happened with the car and driver long term tester engine. It definitely sounds similar.
Amazing. Glad it is back with you.

Good to see your whip is back!

Good to see your whip is back!
just in time to sit in the garage for the 3 inches of snow that's about to hit! but seriously i am glad it isn't sitting around the dealers anymore. it's definitely much safer sitting in my garage vs there

Interesting (positive regarding the LT4) outcome @Carguyshu

Another potential clue for the reason there are so many built 4x00 holds?

Interesting (positive regarding the LT4) outcome @Carguyshu

Another potential clue for the reason there are so many built 4x00 holds?
GM engineering I know wanted everything that came off my car sent to them and wanted a LOT of data collected on the car. That delayed by several weeks me getting it back.

GM engineering I know wanted everything that came off my car sent to them and wanted a LOT of data collected on the car. That delayed by several weeks me getting it back.
Tough part about this is it’s so random. It’s not like spring mt is blowing up BWs left and right with the driving school. This forum doesn’t represent majority of BWs but the amt of engine issues popping up just here seems high even if it’s 2-3 engines since it’s a low production car. Just look at the S55 bmw engine. The production of that engine and the amt of spung bearings probably is a lower percent than what we are hearing of BW but even low percent can cause a lot of drama. If they identify the potential flaw, hope it’s an easy fix and we aren’t all out a BW for weeks while a mix bag of dealers try to address the recall.

Tough part about this is it’s so random. It’s not like spring mt is blowing up BWs left and right with the driving school. This forum doesn’t represent majority of BWs but the amt of engine issues popping up just here seems high even if it’s 2-3 engines since it’s a low production car. Just look at the S55 bmw engine. The production of that engine and the amt of spung bearings probably is a lower percent than what we are hearing of BW but even low percent can cause a lot of drama. If they identify the potential flaw, hope it’s an easy fix and we aren’t all out a BW for weeks while a mix bag of dealers try to address the recall.
if it's a flaw its one in the fuel and/or emissions systems and not the engine itself.

Glad you got her back, gotta make up for lost time my friend! Enjoy!

just in time to sit in the garage for the 3 inches of snow that's about to hit! but seriously i am glad it isn't sitting around the dealers anymore. it's definitely much safer sitting in my garage vs there
Congrats on getting it back and for getting a straight answer about cause of failure. Wonder who along the chain could've possibly overfilled tank to point of filling vent hose, evap canister. 288 miles doesn't really give too many opportunities.😳

Congrats on getting it back and for getting a straight answer about cause of failure. Wonder who along the chain could've possibly overfilled tank to point of filling vent hose, evap canister. 288 miles doesn't really give too many opportunities.😳
My car is different from original poster’s problems. My car had roughly 3,600 miles on it when this all happened including several track days. I’m the only one that has filled the tank since it was new (the car arrived near empty on gas when it was shipped to me) and have never overfilled it. I got black flagged at the track for smoke coming off the car from the oil leaks dumping oil on the exhaust. It still ran surprisingly well with leaky cylinders & toasted plugs as getting flagged is what caused me to notice & not a drop in performance.

if it's a flaw its one in the fuel and/or emissions systems and not the engine itself.
@Carguyshu I think we both just got the short end of the stick regarding it. I've seen more issues with the fueling than my crankshaft issues.
@OldGoat I was the one who suffered the 288 mi failure. Mine was a manufacturing defect in the crankshaft. I have a 2023 and Shu has a 2022.

@Carguyshu I think we both just got the short end of the stick regarding it. I've seen more issues with the fueling than my crankshaft issues.
@OldGoat I was the one who suffered the 288 mi failure. Mine was a manufacturing defect in the crankshaft. I have a 2023 and Shu has a 2022.
Oops, I'm old, tired and need my rest. That what is sticking with. You guys are all starting to look alike.🤓

I just got my car back after 2 months and no, it isn't fixed. But I did get an extensive writeup on what they checked and replaced (a lot!). It is apparent that the GM engineer they sent to try and figure out what was wrong was familiar with your situation, I was a little confused by their checking the evap canister for fuel and doing compression checks on the cylinders but it now makes sense. And replacing all the supercharger seals.

Welp, going back again. Got over 1,000 miles on the new longblock and had the dealer change the oil under warranty a few days ago. Driving home I did a full throttle run of 2nd, 3rd, & into fourth & the check engine light started flashing, which usually indicates an emissions system issue. Maybe I’ll be the first to get 2 new motors with less than 5k on the odometer between them!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back