Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Break-in procedure

CT5-V Model

poor-sha

Seasoned Member
I was surprised to see that the regular break-in period (not just prior to track use) is now 1500 miles. Below is from the OM.

Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run.
  • Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
  • Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.
  • Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
  • Do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph).
  • Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
  • Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
  • Do not participate in racing events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break-in period.
  • Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
  • To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi). New tires do not have maximum traction and may tend to slip.
  • New brake linings also need a break-in period. Avoid making hard stops during the first 322 km (200 mi). This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.
  • Should the vehicle be used for racing or competitive driving (after break-in), the rear axle lubricant must be replaced beforehand.

A couple other notes related to maintenance:

Engine oil capacity: 9 qts 0W-40 dexos2, filter is PF64
Rear diff: 1.5 qts - fluid type not listed in the manual?
Lugnut torque: 140 lb/ft

I swear I just looked at the manual this last week, and there was specific guidelines for 500 miles as well. Obviously there is a change, as someone had previously illustrated with the RPM change at 500

Weird, I read the break-in procedure over the weekend and it said 500 miles I thought?? I'll go check again shortly.

I hope the 1500 is a typo.

Seems that this 0W-40 is a different spec & label color (green) than the 0W-40 Euro Car Blend (grey/black label) that I've been using in my LS7s. Usually Walmart has 5 quart jugs of the 0W-40 for $22 or so which is nice when you have to replace 9 quarts...

I hope the 1500 is a typo.

Seems that this 0W-40 is a different spec & label color (green) than the 0W-40 Euro Car Blend (grey/black label) that I've been using in my LS7s. Usually Walmart has 5 quart jugs of the 0W-40 for $22 or so which is nice when you have to replace 9 quarts...
Correct. It's the formula they started using in the 2019 Corvettes and was permitted for track and street use (except in the ZR1). It was really hard to get for a while and you can't seem to find it at your average auto parts store.

Actually it looks like Walmart has it online in a box of 6 quarts. You want the 0W-40 ESP Dexos2 formula not the European car formula.

1629839571469.png

Last edited:
Yeah definitely want to get the green label 0W-40. At least I won't have to worry about an oil change until at least next year since the car won't be arriving until probably December.

The engine is 500 miles for full rpm range. The rear diff is 1500 miles and should change fluid after that.

Mine is full send after 500 on road, 1500 track hahahah. However I am really nice on my cars. My camaro 1LE track car has 25,000 miles tracked since 1000 but I never did a burnout in it or clutch dump straight line launches. On the track though it gets the full send.

Weird, I read the break-in procedure over the weekend and it said 500 miles I thought?? I'll go check again shortly.
OK, I went back and I was WRONG. Manual says 1,500 miles as OP said. In thinking about where I got the 500 number, I remembered watching a YouTube video from a new BW owner celebrating 500 miles and showing the tach range increasing. BUT, I now wonder if it simply increases in increments from 500 to 1,500?? I'll find out later today as I have 2 miles until 500.

OK, I went back and I was WRONG. Manual says 1,500 miles as OP said. In thinking about where I got the 500 number, I remembered watching a YouTube video from a new BW owner celebrating 500 miles and showing the tach range increasing. BUT, I now wonder if it simply increases in increments from 500 to 1,500?? I'll find out later today as I have 2 miles until 500.
I can't explain what the OM says either. It's like someone got lazy and didn't want to explain two different break-in periods. The 500 engine and 1500 for track use has been that way since the C7s. The tach changing at 500 miles also started with the C7.

Mine is full send after 500 on road, 1500 track hahahah. However I am really nice on my cars. My camaro 1LE track car has 25,000 miles tracked since 1000 but I never did a burnout in it or clutch dump straight line launches. On the track though it gets the full send.
I'm glad you said it! My break-in philosophy has always been to break it in the way you plan on driving it for the rest of it's life. And since this is a performance car I will be driving it accordingly 👍

I can't explain what the OM says either. It's like someone got lazy and didn't want to explain two different break-in periods. The 500 engine and 1500 for track use has been that way since the C7s. The tach changing at 500 miles also started with the C7.
Yup, my redline has moved to 6,500 now that I'm past 500 miles. Unfortunately it happened as I was heading back into the neighborhood so I haven't had a chance to play quite yet...

Yup, my redline has moved to 6,500 now that I'm past 500 miles. Unfortunately it happened as I was heading back into the neighborhood so I haven't had a chance to play quite yet...
Hold on man ... for the love of God, turn around and test that out!

I did a bit. Need some more testing but so far near street legal speeds there's not much difference (if anything the car might be less explosive on suburban streets - like I said, need more testing)

Not even 1?!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners