Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

News: Why the stick shift's days may be numbered

General News Post

Which type of transmission do you prefer and why?

• Automatic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manual

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
A very interesting article in Automotive News regarding the demise of the manual transmission. So what do you prefer? Do you still prefer a manual transmission or an automatic?

Why the stick shift's days may be numbered

by Richard Truett
Engineering and Technology Reporter
Automotive News

DETROIT -- Two cars I have test driven recently finally convinced me the good old-fashioned manual transmission will soon be dead.

General Motors let auto writers test drive the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette with its new eight-speed automatic transmission. And among our rotating fleet of test cars here at work, a 2014 Jaguar F-Type has been a well-liked visitor. The F-Type also is equipped with an eight-speed automatic transmission, this one made by German supplier ZF.

The Corvette’s transmission is an amazing piece of engineering. Operate the paddles on the steering wheel and the gears change at the speed of thought -- a computer monitors driver inputs 160 times a second. And shifts are nearly imperceptible. You get the driving sensation of a manual with the convenience of an automatic.

Ditto for the Jag.

I love manual transmissions. My three classic cars have them. I have converted cars from automatic to manual. But the manual’s days as a mainstream transmission are ending.

The take rate for manual transmissions across the U.S. auto industry is hovering around 5 percent, and according to consulting firm IHS Automotive, the number of nameplates offering a manual option is about 10 percent, down from 35 percent in 1980.

Full Story: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ay-be-numbered

I still prefer the driver involvement of rowing my own gears. I'm just not into the whole "flappy paddle" thing, YET. :wink:

More and more "drivers" in the USA aren't drivers and don't enjoy driving. Most think of driving as an inconvenience but something they have to do to get across town. They don't want to be bothered with something like shifting gears when the car can do that for you and they can keep their right hand on their iPhone. Oh well.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back