Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Tools and Parts for DIY oil change

Cadillac CT4-V model
Okay, I just checked again, I use the UPF63R (upgraded filter) which is 74mm 14 flute, it appears the blue PF63 is 15 flute.
How was the install of the upgraded filter? Did you notice any difference in idle and WOT oil pressure?

I use my hand-don't need a wrench. :) The factory filter was tight, but still got it off.
My factory filter was on there so tight the filter actually bent while trying to remove it. I think it was binding as well, probably didn't put a bead of oil on the gasket.

Of all the oil change threads I've read on here, no one ever talks about a Fumoto Drain valve... Why not? I've put them on all my cars, I'm only at 800 miles so I haven't done it yet. There looks to be clearance, and its side mount, so no worries of it hanging down.

Of all the oil change threads I've read on here, no one ever talks about a Fumoto Drain valve... Why not? I've put them on all my cars, I'm only at 800 miles so I haven't done it yet. There looks to be clearance, and its side mount, so no worries of it hanging down.
@FLYARMY did here Blackwing Order Tracking - 2022 Model Year

I have used them in the past, on my RAM Cummins Diesel and it was fantastic.

I also put them on couple of my cars. Makes oil changes a breeze especially bmws since their filters are on top!

+1 for fumoto valves

Man, that was the worst oil change I've ever experienced and turned from something fun to super stressful. The oil filter was on there damn tight! Took a 30 minute job into 2 hours of frustration.

Tried an oil filter wrench first (kind with the rubber strap that goes around the filter). All that did was dent/deform the filter pretty bad - no movement at all. Thats all I had on hand so I went to Autozone and got the metal cap that goes on the end of the filter - that ended up not working because I dented the filter too much with the strap wrench so it didn't hold.

I also picked up metal oil filter pliers while at Autozone, so tried them next ( this: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...pliers-adjustment-range-2in-to-5in/696473_0_0) and they bent/broke as well.

20221125_214832.jpg

At that point I was running out of options because the metal pliers put holes in the filter so now I was essentially stuck, no oil in the car and holes in the filter so I couldn't just add oil and drive the car. Last resort was to drive a screwdriver through the filter. First screwdriver snapped in half from trying to turn the filter which caused me to smack my nose and make it bleed. Then I got a larger screwdriver and the filter FINALLY moved and I got it off thank God!

20221125_214937.jpg

20221125_215106.jpg

20221125_215059.jpg

20221125_215114.jpg

Man, that was the worst oil change I've ever experienced and turned from something fun to super stressful. The oil filter was on there damn tight! Took a 30 minute job into 2 hours of frustration.

Tried an oil filter wrench first (kind with the rubber strap that goes around the filter). All that did was dent/deform the filter pretty bad - no movement at all. Thats all I had on hand so I went to Autozone and got the metal cap that goes on the end of the filter - that ended up not working because I dented the filter too much with the strap wrench so it didn't hold.

I also picked up metal oil filter pliers while at Autozone, so tried them next ( this: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...pliers-adjustment-range-2in-to-5in/696473_0_0) and they bent/broke as well.

View attachment 14738

At that point I was running out of options because the metal pliers put holes in the filter so now I was essentially stuck, no oil in the car and holes in the filter so I couldn't just add oil and drive the car. Last resort was to drive a screwdriver through the filter. First screwdriver snapped in half from trying to turn the filter which caused me to smack my nose and make it bleed. Then I got a larger screwdriver and the filter FINALLY moved and I got it off thank God!

View attachment 14737

View attachment 14739

View attachment 14740

View attachment 14741

Dang, it sounds like you and I both had the same engine assembly knucklehead who thought it was a good idea to torque down an oil filter. My experience wasn’t as bad as yours since I was able to get the fluted wrench cap on the filter before it was completely destroyed. I was denting it up pretty good with the oil wrench filter before I resorted to the cap with an extension and a small breaker bar.

To make matters worse I don’t think they oiled the gasket, which caused it to bind and make it that much harder to break free. Anyway, hand tight now with an oiled gasket to make the job easy next time.

I've performed my first oil change for my 4BW yesterday (1500 miles). This is one of the easiest oil changes that you can do.
You can Look up videos on YouTube for ATS-V since it's very similar.
Parts & Tools needed:
Oil filter - PF63 (Amazon)
Oil drain plug - GM 11562588 (Rock Auto)
15mm socket (for drain plug)
Torque Wrench for drain plug (20 ft lb)
Oil filter wrench (I needed one)
Oil collecting pan
Oil refill funnel = I love this one Advanced Engine Oil Funnel for Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Hummer
Your favorite Dexos1 oil (let's not argue about oil :) - 7Qt
Shop towels, the oil will make things a bit messy when you remove the oil filter. No issues with drain plug mess.
Is there a rubber seal or gasket on the plug bolt that needs replacing every time?

Like this?
15pcs Oil Drain Plug Crush Rubber Washer Gasket Black Seal – 12mm Replacement for Buick/Cadillac... https://a.co/d/5ISOBYs

Or
FEL-PRO 70820 Drain Plug Gasket https://a.co/d/eAZFJgt

Is there a rubber seal or gasket on the plug bolt that needs replacing every time?

Like this?
15pcs Oil Drain Plug Crush Rubber Washer Gasket Black Seal – 12mm Replacement for Buick/Cadillac... https://a.co/d/5ISOBYs

Or
FEL-PRO 70820 Drain Plug Gasket https://a.co/d/eAZFJgt
I didn't change mine on the first oil change. I think it just depends on the condition of it. I plan to swap it every other oil change. The official GM one looks a little different. I bought the OEM version just in case. I think I found them off E-bay for a decent price.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 8.48.40 AM.png

I didn't change mine on the first oil change. I think it just depends on the condition of it. I plan to swap it every other oil change. The official GM one looks a little different. I bought the OEM version just in case. I think I found them off E-bay for a decent price.

View attachment 18165
For $3.5 you can just buy a complete new plug on Rock Auto 😊

For $3.5 you can just buy a complete new plug on Rock Auto 😊
I ordered a backup plug off Amazon as well and it didn't come with the seal for some reason.

I installed the Fumoto F-107-SX oil drain valve . Install it after the first oil change and never have to remove the drain plug again ! Flip a spring lock switch, let it drain. Flip the lock back and you are done. No cross threaded oil pan bolts to deal with.

Attachments

• 20221002_105613.jpg
    20221002_105613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
I installed the Fumoto F-107-SX oil drain valve . Install it after the first oil change and never have to remove the drain plug again ! Flip a spring lock switch, let it drain. Flip the lock back and you are done. No cross threaded oil pan bolts to deal with.
I like the idea (even have one sitting in my Amazon list), but it scares me that some road debris might hit it and cause it to drain. I know it has a clip and locking lever, but weird things happen. I couldn't live with myself if I caused such a calamity (and likely not warranty covered). I've never stripped a drain plug or really worried about doing so.
Now curious if any of these current engines have a low oil pressure shut off, like some previous GM car models had. That could take some of the anxiety away.

Emotions run strong on some forums over these drain valves. The benefit is as about as small as the potential for failure, so a I just stick with the caveman bolt and a gloved hand...that I drag on the ground.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back