Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW - First oil change

raptor5244

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - 46-381
I decided to spend some time bonding with 4BW today and performed the first oil change. I prefer to get that initial oil and filter replaced in the first 1000 miles or so. It went pretty smooth except for the wise guy at GM who torqued the oil filter on so tight that I actually bent the filter with my filter wrench trying to take it off. I assume they didn't run a bead of oil on the gasket so it was binding pretty good. Anyway, I replaced it and installed it hand tight like you are supposed to. It took just under 7qts. 18ft lbs on the drain plug. If you enjoy working on your cars, save a few bucks and change it yourself.

PF63 Filter
Mobil 1 Dexos 1 - 5W-30

I use one of these Motiv funnels, which works great.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.30.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.38.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.38.43 PM.png

I had the opposite on my first change....the filter was snug and came off easily, but the drain plug came off so quickly that I thought someone must have hand tightened it!

I had the opposite on my first change....the filter was snug and came off easily, but the drain plug came off so quickly that I thought someone must have hand tightened it!

I remember reading your post about that. I bet it was hand tight and missed for some reason.

come on now..... where'd ya buythe oil from? I'm sure you wasted an hour or two scouring every parts site to find the cheapest out the door cost (I know I will be lol). I'm at 1800 and I should really be doing it soon.

come on now..... where'd ya buythe oil from? I'm sure you wasted an hour or two scouring every parts site to find the cheapest out the door cost (I know I will be lol). I'm at 1800 and I should really be doing it soon.

Haha, one benefit of the 4BW is we can use the less expensive Dexos1 5W-30 available in 5qt jugs. I bought a couple at Walmart for less than $25 each. They also stock the PF63 filter we use for $7. Easy peasy.

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.19.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.24.25 PM.png

GM introduced a new, improved replacement oil filter for High Feature V6 engines in February 2019 on #19-NA-020. Our engines have higher oil pump pressure to accommodate engine cam phasing and high-speed bearing requirements. As a result, the oil filter performance was improved to meet this higher pressure output. The UPF63R features a thicker outer shell to provide higher burst pressure resistance during cold temperature conditions and greater fatigue strength. These oil filters fit 2016 and later LF4, LF3, LGW and LGX engines. We run and recommend these in every LF4 engine we service or build.

GM introduced a new, improved replacement oil filter for High Feature V6 engines in February 2019 on #19-NA-020. Our engines have higher oil pump pressure to accommodate engine cam phasing and high-speed bearing requirements. As a result, the oil filter performance was improved to meet this higher pressure output. The UPF63R features a thicker outer shell to provide higher burst pressure resistance during cold temperature conditions and greater fatigue strength. These oil filters fit 2016 and later LF4, LF3, LGW and LGX engines. We run and recommend these in every LF4 engine we service or build.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure use this one at the next oil change.

@WONT TAP Do you notice any change in oil pressure at idle or WOT when you swap to the Ultraguard filter?

I picked up a new UPF63R filter today and yes, you can tell right away it is a more stout filter. Heavier all metal construction on the inside vs. the plastic inner housing. I did notice the 8 holes on the PF63 vs. 6 holes on the UPR63R filter, hence the question.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.25.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.13.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.13.17 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.23.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.23.00 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac