Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Tools and Parts for DIY oil change

Cadillac CT4-V model

raptor5244

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - 46-381
Okay, I just checked again, I use the UPF63R (upgraded filter) which is 74mm 14 flute, it appears the blue PF63 is 15 flute.
How was the install of the upgraded filter? Did you notice any difference in idle and WOT oil pressure?

dstewart51

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
23' CT4V-BW

raptor5244

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
I use my hand-don't need a wrench. :) The factory filter was tight, but still got it off.
My factory filter was on there so tight the filter actually bent while trying to remove it. I think it was binding as well, probably didn't put a bead of oil on the gasket.

1BadTundra

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 BlackWing
Of all the oil change threads I've read on here, no one ever talks about a Fumoto Drain valve... Why not? I've put them on all my cars, I'm only at 800 miles so I haven't done it yet. There looks to be clearance, and its side mount, so no worries of it hanging down.

dstewart51

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
23' CT4V-BW
Of all the oil change threads I've read on here, no one ever talks about a Fumoto Drain valve... Why not? I've put them on all my cars, I'm only at 800 miles so I haven't done it yet. There looks to be clearance, and its side mount, so no worries of it hanging down.
@FLYARMY did here Blackwing Order Tracking - 2022 Model Year

I have used them in the past, on my RAM Cummins Diesel and it was fantastic.

Deneed4spd

Seasoned Member
I also put them on couple of my cars. Makes oil changes a breeze especially bmws since their filters are on top!

Lithoss

+1 for fumoto valves

Metal4all6

Seasoned Member
Man, that was the worst oil change I've ever experienced and turned from something fun to super stressful. The oil filter was on there damn tight! Took a 30 minute job into 2 hours of frustration.

Tried an oil filter wrench first (kind with the rubber strap that goes around the filter). All that did was dent/deform the filter pretty bad - no movement at all. Thats all I had on hand so I went to Autozone and got the metal cap that goes on the end of the filter - that ended up not working because I dented the filter too much with the strap wrench so it didn't hold.

I also picked up metal oil filter pliers while at Autozone, so tried them next ( this: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...pliers-adjustment-range-2in-to-5in/696473_0_0) and they bent/broke as well.

20221125_214832.jpg

At that point I was running out of options because the metal pliers put holes in the filter so now I was essentially stuck, no oil in the car and holes in the filter so I couldn't just add oil and drive the car. Last resort was to drive a screwdriver through the filter. First screwdriver snapped in half from trying to turn the filter which caused me to smack my nose and make it bleed. Then I got a larger screwdriver and the filter FINALLY moved and I got it off thank God!

20221125_214937.jpg

20221125_215106.jpg

20221125_215059.jpg

20221125_215114.jpg

raptor5244

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Man, that was the worst oil change I've ever experienced and turned from something fun to super stressful. The oil filter was on there damn tight! Took a 30 minute job into 2 hours of frustration.

Tried an oil filter wrench first (kind with the rubber strap that goes around the filter). All that did was dent/deform the filter pretty bad - no movement at all. Thats all I had on hand so I went to Autozone and got the metal cap that goes on the end of the filter - that ended up not working because I dented the filter too much with the strap wrench so it didn't hold.

I also picked up metal oil filter pliers while at Autozone, so tried them next ( this: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...pliers-adjustment-range-2in-to-5in/696473_0_0) and they bent/broke as well.

View attachment 14738

At that point I was running out of options because the metal pliers put holes in the filter so now I was essentially stuck, no oil in the car and holes in the filter so I couldn't just add oil and drive the car. Last resort was to drive a screwdriver through the filter. First screwdriver snapped in half from trying to turn the filter which caused me to smack my nose and make it bleed. Then I got a larger screwdriver and the filter FINALLY moved and I got it off thank God!

View attachment 14737

View attachment 14739

View attachment 14740

View attachment 14741

Dang, it sounds like you and I both had the same engine assembly knucklehead who thought it was a good idea to torque down an oil filter. My experience wasn’t as bad as yours since I was able to get the fluted wrench cap on the filter before it was completely destroyed. I was denting it up pretty good with the oil wrench filter before I resorted to the cap with an extension and a small breaker bar.

To make matters worse I don’t think they oiled the gasket, which caused it to bind and make it that much harder to break free. Anyway, hand tight now with an oiled gasket to make the job easy next time.

Win a CT4-V Blackwing!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Top Bottom