Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Those who owned a CTS-V and/or SS and now Own a CT5-V BW- Comparisons

Neveready

Seasoned Member
Although this is completely subjective, I wanted to get a candid opinion from those of you who owned a CTS V and/or a Chevy SS and now own a CT5 V Blackwing. Please mention if you had a manual or auto and if you modded it.

What were the reasons you traded it for the BW?
What do you like most about the BW by comparison to your CTS-V/SS?
What were some of the shortcomings of the 2nd Gen/SS that justified the $60K price difference?
Was there anything you liked better about your 2nd Gen/SS (sound, space, the look)?

I believe this topic will become more relevant in a few years from now when these cars start to age, skyrocket in value and availability becomes even more scarce.

Note: I tried to search the forums on this topic but CTS and other words didn't come up as they are too short.

I had a V3 and was on the initial buy for the BW. I'll keep this brief. My V3 was auto and stock and my BW is auto and stock.

1. Comparing the V3 to the 5BW, the V3 is a large sedan with a shit ton of power and sounds great. The 5BW is a track car with a shit ton of power and sounds amazing. They are two completely different cars, the 5BW being something special.

2. I hated the info/cue/center console of the V3. It was cheap, not timeless, and too "Transformerish". I said if the new interior is better then I am buying the 5BW. The interior is 10x better than the V3. But, the car is much smaller all around. My biggest hesitation on buying the 5BW was how much smaller it is than the V3. But as more info came out I learned the 5BW is something special and I wasn't going to pass on it. I am glad I didn't.

I'll simply add to Blackwing61's view as I came from a V3 to the 5 BW as well. The V3 was a track car for me and for what it was, a large sedan, it did really well. I find the 5 BW to be more of an evolution than a totally different experience. 5 BW takes the V3 performance envelope and expands it in every area while adding more luxury, more tech, and more engagement. It is a bit smaller (more so in the trunk and maybe the backseat but nobody sits back there.) Backseat of the 5 BW is a definite downgrade compared to V3 but everything else about 5 BW is better in my experience (I have the A10 transmission.)

I too am glad the dash that looked like Optimus Prime's face is gone although the overall design didn't bother me so much as the glossy black plastic surround that attracted dust and fingerprints like crazy.

Although this is completely subjective, I wanted to get a candid opinion from those of you who owned a CTS V and/or a Chevy SS and now own a CT5 V Blackwing. Please mention if you had a manual or auto and if you modded it.
I think I qualify to compare as my son has an SS which I have driven a fair amount of time.

What were the reasons you traded it for the BW?
No trade involved as my son still has his SS and loves it.

What do you like most about the BW by comparison to your CTS-V/SS?
The SS and 5BW are completely different cars in power, handling and functionality (i.e. features/options).

When I drive the SS, the power to weight ratio feels just right. At 3900+ lbs, its downright "toss-able". It's not overpowered and gives me simple point and shoot driving. Plus it's got all the practicality of a sedan that fits adults comfortably in the back seat and plenty of luggage in the boot. I equate this to the joy that I see from the 4BW owners. Now I get it and why they love the car! I really love my son's SS and have told him I get first dibs if he decides to sell it.

As for the the 5BW, the suspension, steering and brakes are nothing short of stellar, where the SS doesn't come close. But 5BW is 4100+ lbs and you know it. But it's a damn sledgehammer. While I get a kick out of WOT shots on the SS, the WOT runs on the 5BW are just insane (at least for me where I have neve owned a car with this much power). You are in triple digits in the blink of an eye.

As for features and technology, the 5BW is light years ahead. It's simply not a fair comparison at all. I mean, sh!t, the SS doesn't even have garage door opener built into the console. (Yea, I know, most Australians don't have garages - but still GM. Would it really have killed you?)

What were some of the shortcomings of the 2nd Gen/SS that justified the $60K price difference?
The SS is Chevy inside and out. No one will likely dispute that. And while you will see people gripe about the BW interior quality compared to German rivals, it's damn nice no matter how you slice it. Sure, not all surfaces are soft touch and maybe the kick panels are a bit cheap looking but it's night and day compared to the SS.

So is the up-level Caddy interior plus the excessive power and performance worth the $60k bump -- probably not. I mean, just think about what you could do to an SS with $60k. But the total package that you get with the 5BW plus the exclusivity of it, and not to mention the smile I get every time I drive it erases any thoughts about price difference.

Was there anything you liked better about your 2nd Gen/SS (sound, space, the look)?
You can't beat the bang for the buck of the SS. As for looks and thumbs up from enthusiasts, the 5BW and SS are about equal. The SS still draws more attention than I thought it would at this point in its life. Old enough to no longer be relevant, but not so old to the point where you have prior generations of people fawning over it like a 60s or 70s muscle car. I like that. But to each his own.

I'll just say the interior of the V3 and ATS-V were a huge turnoff. They drove great, but...yeesh. As soon as I saw the interior of the Blackwings, I was sold.
I personally love the look of the v3 exterior, and IMO on par with the BW. Interior wise, yeah no comparison. I sat in a BW in Sept. But of course it could not be driven. I haven't driven or been in a v2, as they are difficult to find. I drove an SS and liked it alot but I couldn't get over the auto trans knowing a manual exists. Then the price went through the roof and by the time your done with BAT buyers fees your at $50k for a 7 yr old SS with 40k. It's a tough pill to swallow when you know damn well the original owner probably paid $5-10k less for it brand new with rebates and incentives.

I know the BW is superior in almost every way, but without having driven one it's a difficult leap of faith to take, at least for me where my budget is $100k. It took 3 months of convincing my better half the BW was the way to go, in lieu of a V2 or SS manual. I played out the crash ratings and structural safety of the BW which is superior when comparing it to an SS, v2 or v1.

Here's a good analogy. The g80 M3 is a superior performer by comparison to it's predecessors. But with every new model that comes out there is more power and performance in exchange for driver engagement. I feel that the push to EVs will have a downturn period of driver engagement, but I suspect there will be a Renaissance period to follow where a new level of engagement will be engineered into the vehicles. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the BW is a revival to the SS and V2s driver engagement, much like the 992 911s.

I should also add that I posted this being under the influence of Maximum Strength DayQuil and having binge watched the Shrek trilogy with my two boys all day long. I'm awaiting a response to a PCR test from the lab. 😵‍💫

Last edited:
The SS is a great car but the radio cannot be modernized and some parts are already discontinued. Plenty on wrecked cars but more work to find. While not what you asked I went from a 17 SS auto to a 4BW manual. Got the the driving school, better seats, acceleration and handling, and tech like a PDR for under 30k more. I could barely feel the cooled seats in the SS and the drive mode changes in the BW are much better.

Lots of current & former SS owners on here including myself. I don't have my 5BW yet so I can't comment on your questions directly. You might find this thread useful:

Hey
'sup

My take at that time:
The CT5 BW is a great car, but there are compromises over the SS. The SS is noticeably larger, has significantly better storage, (objectively) better dash and door trim, better range, etc. On a pure daily driver standpoint, an argument could be made that the SS is better.
The Blackwing is fantastic, it's just that the SS is so damn good for the money. Maybe that will dissuade some people. I'd do it again given the choice. The Blackwing is a better car, just not 2x better.

The SS' dash is leather covered (real or not, it looks real), Alcantara trimmed, and while pretty basic still looks upscale. Likewise, the door panels are leather and Alcantara trimmed. Most especially, the top half of the door panels, the Alcantara there looks really nice.

The CT5 on the other hand is typical GM hard plastic dashboard with stitching to make it appear leather covered. Or if it's leather, it's the fakest plasticy looking leather I've ever seen.

The top of the CT5 door trim is more soft touch plastic/rubbery, very similar to the SS. But the way the Alcantara trim in the SS goes up high, it's not nearly as noticeable. The top of the CT4 door is leather covered, why not the CT5?

It's really about the materials. I find the overall look very nice, but just a couple of changes (leather dash and leather trimmed uppers on the doors) would have made a huge improvement.

Hot take:
If I had to pick between the SS and the 5BW at current market prices I'd go with the 5BW.
The SS is fantastic. At a price. With many people paying low to mid $40k new it was amazing. The reality is the SS didn't sell at MSRP for a reason. And with used prices creeping in to MSRP range it's a bit of a hard sell.

Last edited:
Owned 2 V wagons and a 17 SS in between. Still waiting on my 5BW but have driven one. All in manual and all stock. I loved the SS mostly but despised the seats, parts availability was worrysome (could not source a new wheel liner when I hit a deer 3 months into ownership and had 7k of body work done), and the lack of android or carplay and no good place to mount a phone drove me nuts. Also stock it was was quick, but power didn't feel as brutal as my stock V Wagon, though the SS exhaust was much better.

When I got my 2nd V wagon, I never imagined selling it, but the 5BW is so much more car and modern tech, and wagon prices where they are, it was not that much of a delta between the two. I am a wagon guy so it kills me to give up on the wagon body style, but I think it is worth it. I might occasionally track the 5BW, which the gen 2 could not do without cooling mods.

Last edited:
I had a 2017 SS that was a great car until I went mod crazy with it and made it undriveable, but IMHO it is not half the car the BW is...... I think the radio and the interior is far better, not to mention the BW handles far better..... Oh, the SS had a lot more HP and was/is faster if you can get it to bite and go straight.....

Attachments

• B0586C76-9BC2-44C6-9274-F5FC047BCB77.JPG
    B0586C76-9BC2-44C6-9274-F5FC047BCB77.JPG
    1,004 KB · Views: 142
I had a 2017 SS that was a great car until I went mod crazy with it and made it undriveable, but IMHO it is not half the car the BW is...... I think the radio and the interior is far better, not to mention the BW handles far better..... Oh, the SS had a lot more HP and was/is faster if you can get it to bite and go straight.....
Always loved that hood 😎

Thanks for all the replys so far, everyone brought up alot of good points. The challenges for sourcing SS parts from GM/Holden is a real deal breaker. At least maintenance parts seem to be available via aftermarket.

A buddy of mine has this 91 Eclipse GSX. He's had 3 of them over the last 25 years. He's a habitual parts hoarder. It just stresses him out when anything breaks and he only puts about 1500 mi a yr on it. Eventually he ended up detuning it because there are certain parts in the drivetrain that have to be custom made to handle more power. The aftermarket support dried up after the EVO came stateside and because everyone knew someone back in the day who had a 400+whp Eclipse...well I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

Last edited:
Bump

Revising this thread to any newcomers to the forum who have traded their V2 for a BW. Now that I'm back in the goat rodeo for that last 2 months I'm considering a V2 in manual especially since it's now twice the price for a 5BW. I still haven't driven one so if anyone has more to add it would be appreciated.

Bump

Revising this thread to any newcomers to the forum who have traded their V2 for a BW. Now that I'm back in the goat rodeo for that last 2 months I'm considering a V2 in manual especially since it's now twice the price for a 5BW. I still haven't driven one so if anyone has more to add it would be appreciated.
Thank you for reviving this thread. I seemed to have followed a path similar to a lot of folks on here. '05 GTO => '10 CTS-V => '17 SS => '23 5BW (all MT's)

First, the GTO: Blue on Blue. By far, the most comfortable rear seats. Drove that car for 100k miles. Only issue were the rear tires and the left tie rod end. The car made me a believer in Holden.

Next, the CTS-V: What an upgrade! That thing shook the house when started in the garage. The 150hp increase and the magnetic suspension were very welcome additions. Only disappointment was probably specific to mine. I bought it with 50k miles and the clutch shuddered when warm. Laying on your back to replace a 90lb dual clutch starts to leave you a little bitter. Just me.

Then, the economical choice, the SS. Got it on the bonus day for 39k with 17 miles on the odometer. What a deal! The lower horsepower was a bummer, yet the upgrade in features were awesome. Over the Caddy, it had cooled seats, heads up, phone integration, and automatic parking (even for the MT's!). Had the SS for 6 years. This car was like a best friend. Just get in and go. The sport mode was stiff enough and touring was like an old Impala. Only oil changes and tires, nothing else in 6 years.

Finally, the CT5-VBW. Our relationship is still new with only 1,600 miles. Comparing to the previous three, it is definitely more sophisticated. This car is more like the friend that says "hold my beer and watch this". It is ALL good, yet not a Holden. The SS simply had better fit, finish, and paint. Juxtapose, the SS had significantly more body roll than the Caddy. In the end, the sheer power and sophistication of the 5BW made it better than the others, with the consideration of buying the SS low and selling it high.

Thank you for reviving this thread. I seemed to have followed a path similar to a lot of folks on here. '05 GTO => '10 CTS-V => '17 SS => '23 5BW (all MT's)

First, the GTO: Blue on Blue. By far, the most comfortable rear seats. Drove that car for 100k miles. Only issue were the rear tires and the left tie rod end. The car made me a believer in Holden.

Next, the CTS-V: What an upgrade! That thing shook the house when started in the garage. The 150hp increase and the magnetic suspension were very welcome additions. Only disappointment was probably specific to mine. I bought it with 50k miles and the clutch shuddered when warm. Laying on your back to replace a 90lb dual clutch starts to leave you a little bitter. Just me.

Then, the economical choice, the SS. Got it on the bonus day for 39k with 17 miles on the odometer. What a deal! The lower horsepower was a bummer, yet the upgrade in features were awesome. Over the Caddy, it had cooled seats, heads up, phone integration, and automatic parking (even for the MT's!). Had the SS for 6 years. This car was like a best friend. Just get in and go. The sport mode was stiff enough and touring was like an old Impala. Only oil changes and tires, nothing else in 6 years.

Finally, the CT5-VBW. Our relationship is still new with only 1,600 miles. Comparing to the previous three, it is definitely more sophisticated. This car is more like the friend that says "hold my beer and watch this". It is ALL good, yet not a Holden. The SS simply had better fit, finish, and paint. Juxtapose, the SS had significantly more body roll than the Caddy. In the end, the sheer power and sophistication of the 5BW made it better than the others, with the consideration of buying the SS low and selling it high.
Excellent, thank you for the thoughts. What an absolute bargain at $39k for an SS, I really wanted one in 2014 but at that time it was $10k over my budget and I was single with no kids so i wanted a coupe. I never suspected I'd need a sedan 4 years later and with a baby on the way I had no idea the prices of cars would have nearly doubled for a manual transmission v8.

am surprised to hear that you found the fit and finish to be superior to the Ct5BW but with Covid and the way things are these days it's a different ballgame. I also think that Holden as a 150+ year old company was at the end their rope with GM and the SS was the last Hurrah; Aussie blood sweat and tears were put into those vehicles much like the pre-90's Japanese cars. I feel like GM really did a disservice to the brand by not marketing the SS better but it would have cannibalized on other models. From an outsider perspective, it's difficult to see why Holden was liquidated as an organization that built such great vehicles.

Looking for a clean V2 sedan is just as difficult if not more difficult to get than a 5BW at this point. If I could find one, they should be priced around $40 to $50k with 10 to 50k miles. I'm curious, how many miles/yrs did you get out of your SS magride shocks/struts? Was it difficult to find OE parts?

6 years with my SS was one of my longer relationships with a car. I think some of y'all are waxing nostalgic over the SS interior, it was a sea of southern hemisphere GM plastic. It was a good interior for my needs, but better? Not even close. The SS is a great car, but it just felt like they left a lot on the performance table. Everything about the car begged for more power. To me the 5BW is the Commodore HSV GTS that should have been sold in the US.

If it wasn't for Holden being an orphan, I would say SS all day long over anything else in the segment, but little hesitant if your ownership horizon is more than 5 years. With that said I would 100% pick an SS over a V2.

Excellent, thank you for the thoughts. What an absolute bargain at $39k for an SS, I really wanted one in 2014 but at that time it was $10k over my budget and I was single with no kids so i wanted a coupe. I never suspected I'd need a sedan 4 years later and with a baby on the way I had no idea the prices of cars would have nearly doubled for a manual transmission v8.

am surprised to hear that you found the fit and finish to be superior to the Ct5BW but with Covid and the way things are these days it's a different ballgame. I also think that Holden as a 150+ year old company was at the end their rope with GM and the SS was the last Hurrah; Aussie blood sweat and tears were put into those vehicles much like the pre-90's Japanese cars. I feel like GM really did a disservice to the brand by not marketing the SS better but it would have cannibalized on other models. From an outsider perspective, it's difficult to see why Holden was liquidated as an organization that built such great vehicles.

Looking for a clean V2 sedan is just as difficult if not more difficult to get than a 5BW at this point. If I could find one, they should be priced around $40 to $50k with 10 to 50k miles. I'm curious, how many miles/yrs did you get out of your SS magride shocks/struts? Was it difficult to find OE parts?
My SS had 21k miles on it. Never needed anything, so parts weren’t an issue.

On the other hand, I started having issues getting parts for the GTO, like brakes, rotors, tie rods, etc, until the G8 came out. Yet, my insurance kept going up due to cost-to-repair (meaning, the body parts were getting scarce).

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back