Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Tapout CT4-V Blackwing Carbon Fiber Intake Test Results

It all comes together with the engine cover. Now I want a matching radiator shroud 😭
8356905E-4F53-46DC-B963-BC316C10CF87.jpeg

I installed mine over the weekend and drove it for the first time today. It definitely feels quicker to me, even in the lower RPM range. I wasn't able to really get on it due to too much traffic on the road.

No CEL either, though it seems it takes a few on/off cycles to show up. Hopefully the warmer weather that we'll get soon will keep it away!

20230320_174654.jpg

So from the testing this weekend, my garage stays a bit over 60 degrees and after multiple clear cycles, it's still showing up even starting from the garage each time.

In response to why the lid instead of the JB4, it sounded like a CEL free way to get some extra horses and looked more or less like a CF reproduction of the stock part. Didn't want to deal with pulling the JB4 for dealer visits.

So from the testing this weekend, my garage stays a bit over 60 degrees and after multiple clear cycles, it's still showing up even starting from the garage each time.

In response to why the lid instead of the JB4, it sounded like a CEL free way to get some extra horses and looked more or less like a CF reproduction of the stock part. Didn't want to deal with pulling the JB4 for dealer visits.
If it sounds too good to be true…🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, there's a good reason why the several pages prior to this one contain a good deal of skepticism from myself and others.

I was/still an firmly team "wait and see".

If they fix the CEL, I'll be first in line for Gen 2.
Me too, and at least another buddy of mine.

The whole point of this car was something capable with no CEL BS like my two built motor cars.

I've driven my car about 50 miles (only 3 start/stop cycles) since putting in the air box lid and no CEL. Temp has been in the low - high 50's.

Just to add - be careful with the air box lid screws, they are $8-9 each(!) from GM. I dropped one and couldn't find it for the life of me. Luckily the CF lid uses one less screw than stock, but I wanted it in case I switch back.

Yeah, there's a good reason why the several pages prior to this one contain a good deal of skepticism from myself and others.

I was/still an firmly team "wait and see".

If they fix the CEL, I'll be first in line for Gen 2.
Kinda bummed that I purchased the carbon engine cover when it was on sale in anticipation of getting the intake.

Me too, and at least another buddy of mine.

The whole point of this car was something capable with no CEL BS like my two built motor cars.
Same here. It was great back when I had my C5 Z06 and could tune it myself with HP Tuners software. You throw on a new intake and you can log and reprogram the MAF airflow curve so you don’t run lean and throw a code.

Most of the aftermarket air intakes that don’t require a tune offer little to no gain since they are staying within the MAF margin of error. I think around 15-20% from stock would throw a code. That said, they would have to restrict the intake design a bit and as a result would offer little to no gain on a naturally aspirated engine.

Now, tricking the 4BW to increase turbo boost 4psi without a CEL sounds really appealing. If they get this dialed in I am sure it would sell very well. Personally I don’t care about the bling factor. I would be happy with a plastic intake cover for less money. My gut tells me that in order to avoid the CEL, the increase airflow may have to be dialed back to say 2psi max. If so, a plastic version offering 25-30hp gain for $400-500 would still be pretty decent.

Mine is heading back to TapOut. I'm not entirely sure I'll buy into revision 2 (if it appears) if I get burned on shipping both ways. The ever evolving story from no CEL... to some few people... to any time it's cold. It's certainly moved me to the wait much longer and see camp.

I am very interested in this. (I am local, we spoke on the phone already.) I think an underlying question being asked in this thread, but not as clearly as I would like is... Will the additional output still be there 6 months from now, or will the ECU have slowly trimmed away the gains?

I am very interested in this. (I am local, we spoke on the phone already.) I think an underlying question being asked in this thread, but not as clearly as I would like is... Will the additional output still be there 6 months from now, or will the ECU have slowly trimmed away the gains?
These cars have dual wideband oxygen sensors, so fueling is corrected instantaneously. However, the ECM will not 'unlearn' the increased boost, since it remains convinced it's not meeting it's desired torque target.

I will definately be up for a version 2 IF it doesnt throw CELs. Once the car is out of warranty maybe even version 1 as the look is just sick.

The issue for me was the "lean condition Bank 2" that was a concern as opposed to the EVAP and MAF related codes.

The extra ponies are very nice, but Im too old to be chasing CELs on a daily driver.

These cars have dual wideband oxygen sensors, so fueling is corrected instantaneously. However, the ECM will not 'unlearn' the increased boost, since it remains convinced it's not meeting it's desired torque target.
Question, do the boost gauge readings accurately reflect the increased performance the intake is providing? If so, that is all I need to see. For example, if I only see a max of 12psi on the gauge with the stock airbox and then I throw this one on and start seeing 14-16psi on the boost gauge then we are good right? Butt dyno plus the increase boost on the readout should be confirmation enough or is there more going on here?

Question, do the boost gauge readings accurately reflect the increased performance the intake is providing? If so, that is all I need to see. For example, if I only see a max of 12psi on the gauge with the stock airbox and then I throw this one on and start seeing 14-16psi on the boost gauge then we are good right? Butt dyno plus the increase boost on the readout should be confirmation enough or is there more going on here?
When you install the Tapout Tuning carbon fiber airbox lid, the MAF sensors end lower readings to the ECM. This makes the ECM turn up the boost. The boost increase in this case is real, and will show up on your boost gauge, and in data scans.

Conversely, when you install the JB4 tuning module, one of your MAF sensor signals gets spoofed. This causes the ECM to command more boost. However, JB4 also spoofs the MAP and TMAP signal, so the ECM doesn't 'see' the extra boost. For this reason, the increased boost will not show up on your boost gauge or data scans.

When you install the Tapout Tuning carbon fiber airbox lid, the MAF sensors end lower readings to the ECM. This makes the ECM turn up the boost. The boost increase in this case is real, and will show up on your boost gauge, and in data scans.

Conversely, when you install the JB4 tuning module, one of your MAF sensor signals gets spoofed. This causes the ECM to command more boost. However, JB4 also spoofs the MAP and TMAP signal, so the ECM doesn't 'see' the extra boost. For this reason, the increased boost will not show up on your boost gauge or data scans.
Thanks, that makes sense. I hope you keep tweaking airbox lid to eliminate the CEL. I am definitely a buyer once it is dialed in.

Finally got the CEL today after 2 weeks/170 miles. It was in the low 40s this morning when I first took the car out so I was somewhat expecting it/testing to see if it showed up based on other comments. It didn't show up at first, but after the 4th engine start later in the day (high temp today was 50). Every other time I've driven the car since installing has been in the mid-50s/60s.

My hypothesis so far is that temps in the 40s and below can pop the CEL while 50s on up are CEL free. Now my dumb ass cleared the code before seeing what it was for, but temps will be in the 60s and 70s the rest of the week so I'll see if it comes back. The Cadillac app says it's an emissions error so I'm assuming it's the same code everyone else has gotten.

Finally got the CEL today after 2 weeks/170 miles. It was in the low 40s this morning when I first took the car out so I was somewhat expecting it/testing to see if it showed up based on other comments. It didn't show up at first, but after the 4th engine start later in the day (high temp today was 50). Every other time I've driven the car since installing has been in the mid-50s/60s.

My hypothesis so far is that temps in the 40s and below can pop the CEL while 50s on up are CEL free. Now my dumb ass cleared the code before seeing what it was for, but temps will be in the 60s and 70s the rest of the week so I'll see if it comes back. The Cadillac app says it's an emissions error so I'm assuming it's the same code everyone else has gotten.
Did it ever come back?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners