Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V ZL1 1LE transmission in 5BW? Or, how the 5BW is a 7-speed missing 6th gear.

CT5-V Model

thefleshrocket

The wild drop in RPM between 5th and 6th gear is irritating. Redline in 5th gear is ~162mph; upshifting to 6th drops the RPM to around 4500 and completely kills acceleration. The drop in RPM from 5th to 6th is so huge, the transmission feels like a 7-speed, where 6th gear is missing. To be fair, I also don't like the stupid-tall 6th gear during normal street driving, either. There are numerous times where if I upshift to 6th gear, the engine almost feels like it's lugging, but if I downshift to 5th, the RPM feels too high.

From what I understand, the ZL1 1LE transmission's 6th gear is appropriately short. Has anyone considered swapping a 1LE transmission into a 5BW? Or, if possible, changing the ratio of 6th gear to something shorter?

This is mostly a theoretical conversation, as I'm sure any real fix will be cost / time / warranty prohibitive but.. I'm still wondering.

EDIT - I just discovered there's a thread with the same topic in the Blackwing mods section.. which is where I should have posted this to start with. Mods, you won't hurt my feelings if you move or delete this thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
I knew it would have lots of room left after redlining 5th, but how much faster can it go with the loss in momentum after the shift into 6th ?

I haven't had room to test it myself. :)

OP - I understand exactly what you are saying. Since the TR6060 transmission has been around for many years, I am sure there are revised ratios available. How much is a ZL-LE transmission brand new from Chevrolet?

OP - I understand exactly what you are saying. Since the TR6060 transmission has been around for many years, I am sure there are revised ratios available. How much is a ZL-LE transmission brand new from Chevrolet?
I understand the cost as far as I could tell anywhere from $3000/4500, but the splines on shaft, is it the same as the Cadillac and the Camaro?

Reactions: CBH
The current gear ratios make the car very useable in every gear. For most highway driving, having that big 6th gear overdrive helps keep rpms low BUT is still very useable to get through traffic.

The issue is at that momentum is hard to gain after the 165 mph mark, but realistically, how often are you at that speed? Even on the track, you won't be running out of 5th gear anywhere this side of the Mulsanne straight....

This might matter on the autobahn but we don't get that here...

GM still tries to make its performance cars have some kind of fuel economy and I can say that putting the Blackwing in 6th still returns a good amount of torque that I never need to downshift on the highway unless I hit a traffic jam, same for the Camaro.

The ratios are designed for a number of reasons and the miniscule amount of owners who can take it to V max on a public road are not part of GMs calculations.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back