Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Riding on Dealer Plates

mrsully74

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing 46-006
Picked up my car 11/14 and dealer still has not transferred the registration from the vehicle I traded in to the 4BW - claiming some sort of issue at the RMV. I live in Massachusetts and the car was bought and trade done at a dealer in Connecticut. Massachusetts allows a 7 day grace period when transferring a registration in a scenario like this - that period has passed. The dealers solution is to send me CT dealer plates to use until they can get my registration transferred. Does anyone know if this is a proper solution that would legally allow me to drive my car? Dealers response is "you should be OK". I have an email into my Insurance company and Mass RMV website doesn't give me a whole lot - I know every state is different. Thanks!

7 days sounds like in-state transfer? Out of state transfers in NY has 30-day period.

See if you can apply for an extension in MA since you're dealing with an out-of-state transfer? I wouldn't use the dealer plate as that spell's sketchy to me.

Not Sure about Mass but I got temp plates from dealer in MI that had 30 day expiration. However, when I went tor register my car in CA on day #22, the DMV here charged me a $1,200 fee for not registering my car within 20 days!!!! $1,200 fine!!! WTF?! My plates were still good by CA requires registration w/in 20 days.

Not Sure about Mass but I got temp plates from dealer in MI that had 30 day expiration. However, when I went tor register my car in CA on day #22, the DMV here charged me a $1,200 fee for not registering my car within 20 days!!!! $1,200 fine!!! WTF?! My plates were still good by CA requires registration w/in 20 days.
WTF that's insane! Each state has their own regulations which makes this tough. I've bought cars in Connecticut before and never had an issue - transfer plates and done. Massachusetts does not accept temp plates but I don't know if a dealer plate is considered a "temp" plate. The Backwing is in the hangar until the registration shows up - not worth the risk.

In my state, you can sign an affidavit saying you did not drive the car after the expiration date and get no fine. Of course, everyone lies and uses it as a get out of jail free card. The fine is not any $1200, though. :oops:

7 days sounds like in-state transfer? Out of state transfers in NY has 30-day period.

See if you can apply for an extension in MA since you're dealing with an out-of-state transfer? I wouldn't use the dealer plate as that spell's sketchy to me.
Unfortunately Mass is 7 days regardless of in or out of state - not a very flexible Commonwealth I live in. I've decided not to use the dealer plates.

Unfortunately Mass is 7 days regardless of in or out of state - not a very flexible Commonwealth I live in. I've decided not to use the dealer plates.
That sucks, however good you're not taking a chance using those plates.

BTW it took a week for my DMV to receive my registration before I could order personalized plates. I can only assume it's snail mail and not electronic mail here in NY

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back