Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Rear Diff Fluid

Its formulated for the carbon clutch discs in the diff and Im pretty sure its the same fluid as was used in the SS since I remember that stuff being pricey as well.

I had good luck with the GM fluid in my ZLE. Used it in my other cars too

Anyone NOT change their diff fluid? I got the fluid and all but I really don't feel like doing it. I don't ever plan to track my car. I'm currently at 5K miles, and have been putting off the change. I might just do it at 40K. Thoughts?

Anyone NOT change their diff fluid? I got the fluid and all but I really don't feel like doing it. I don't ever plan to track my car. I'm currently at 5K miles, and have been putting off the change. I might just do it at 40K. Thoughts?
It is so easy to change the fluid. I changed mine at 1800 miles and it was full of metal fine particles. I’m sure you will be fine not doing it but doesn’t hurt. BMW M cars have their diff changed tracked or not tracked at 1200 miles.

I would not go past 30k for changing the diff fluid and perhaps at 20k is a better idea. After that, just follow the maintenance schedule.

What is the schedule? On my ZLE it was 1500 for the first. I can't find it for the CT4 in the high performance supplement unless I missed it.

Last edited:
What is the schedule? On my ZLE it was 1500 for the first. I can't find it for the CT4 in the high performance supplement unless I missed it.
My local dealer recommended changing the diff at 30k. So I would assume do it again at 60k and 90k.

My local dealer recommended changing the diff at 30k. So I would assume do it again at 60k and 90k.
Both the normal and severe maintenance schedule show 45k for the limited slip differential. I show the severe below because that should be the shortest time period, but in this case they are the same. I don't know about any supplemental instructions for such things as racing use, but this should apply for typical normal use.

1710772175779.png

1710772216413.png

I changed my 4BW rear diff oil out tonight at just over 3k miles. I did it without jacking up the car (and I'm a big fat guy). Just needed to scoot under the back as far as i could go and stretch out my arm + use a 6in extension. Mine took about 1.5 quarts before it started dripping from the fill hole.

Anyone know the torque specs on the fill and drain plugs? I snugged them up with a ratchet, but would prefer to have them torqued to spec.

View attachment 22404
This is probably a noob question, but what do you use to channel new fluid to the upper fill hole?

This is probably a noob question, but what do you use to channel new fluid to the upper fill hole?

Just need a hand pump - something like this:

Slippery Pete 5cc Hand Pump Transfers Gear Oil, Transmission and Differential Fluids From Quart Bottles (Not for Red Line Quarts) (1)
https://a.co/d/h7ebWYQ

Then you just screw it on to the diff fluid bottle and pump it in. Takes a while to pump it all in, but little to no mess.

Changed out rear diff fluid with the AC delco product shown in here with the proper part number a few days ago. Easy peasy. Used about a bottle and a half - until it started weeping out of the fill hole then torqued everything down once it turned to a slow drip.

Changed out rear diff fluid with the AC delco product shown in here with the proper part number a few days ago. Easy peasy. Used about a bottle and a half - until it started weeping out of the fill hole then torqued everything down once it turned to a slow drip.
I just did mine after 1500 miles. Dirty dirty black fluid with a bit of sheen. Ill probably do it again around 10k miles because its so easy and then probably every 30k.

So glad we actually have a drain plug!

I just did mine after 1500 miles. Dirty dirty black fluid with a bit of sheen. Ill probably do it again around 10k miles because its so easy and then probably every 30k.

So glad we actually have a drain plug!
I commend your due diligence! I will now show you what I did!

Here is mine after the new plug installed. Absolutely, remove that crap fluid and install a proper plug people! Is there a factory magnet inside on the case? I would bet 100% there is but this guy goes 100% above and beyond 100%
Installed Drain Plug view 2.jpg

Attachments

• Magnetic Drain Plug.jpg
    Magnetic Drain Plug.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 21
  • Installed Drain Plug.jpg
    Installed Drain Plug.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
What model number Turner plug is that? Is it this one?

I personally use a Gold Plug AP-04 on the LF4 drain port, which is great. On the TR-6060, I wasn't happy with what was available (nothing in stainless or titanium with a really strong magnet) so I wound up getting the Gold Plug IP04X, which protrudes from the side of the TR-6060. When my next batch of oil comes in I'll see whether it clears the trans tunnel.

Last edited:

I personally use a Gold Plug AP-04 on the LF4 drain port, which is great. On the TR-6060, I wasn't happy with what was available (nothing in stainless or titanium with a really strong magnet) so I wound up getting the Gold Plug IP04X, which protrudes from the side of the TR-6060. When my next batch of oil comes in I'll see whether it clears the trans tunnel.
I will have to look? I have magnets all over my vehicles and somebody awhile ago chimed in. All you do is just buy one on internet and use it what's the big deal? Hey, it's a big deal and actually a really big deal to somebody like me who cares about Break in processes on mechanical devices. The plug I used is modified along with heavy duty copper crush washer. Things just aren't good enough in my world.

Correct, I just cross referenced your plug to my invoice! That's the one!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back