Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V New Software Update

CT5-V Model

Exia

Seasoned Member
Looks like a new update came out today, apparently for the passenger power seat. It said it would take 15minutes to do, so I accepted and spent the next 30min washing the car. Upon finishing the wash, I tried to start the car and nothing happens. I can't get anything to come on, even accessory mode to access the infotainment, its like the cars dead but the mirrors still fold in and out and the doors still lock when I approach or leave the vehicle.

I logged into the app on my phone and I can see it still says its installing the update but there is no progress bar or anything to tell me how much longer it will be.

Its now been an hour and the app still says the update is installing and I still can't access anything in the car to see what the progress is.

Is this normal? I feel like there's supposed to be a progress bar or something on the screen showing the status of the update and its taking way longer then the 15minute it said when I accepted. I can't even cancel and try again.

My only suggestion is make sure the parking brake is on and you have another car to drive while it does it’s thing.

Parking brake is on, unfortunately the Caddy is parked in front of my Corvette so I effectively blocked myself in.

However I checked on the Blackwing and it started up, no message saying it completed or failed the update however. I checked the updates and its still there waiting to be installed so I guess it failed? Still says it will be 15minutes to install it.

I swapped spots with my Corvette so I have access to a vehicle and initiated the update again I'll check it in a few hours and see if it went through.

I guess for the future ill just be sure to do it over night and make sure I'm not blocking my other vehicles because that 15min estimate doesn't seem accurate.

I did my update last night. I have not tried to start it today. I’ll go try and report back. The parking brake was on, car in gear and parked in garage. It told me that. Told me that it was not operable as the update was being installed and the car cannot be locked.

Went to car and it started just fine. Had to reset my seat memory and my entertainment system no longer sees my iPod nano in the USB port. It sees it using BT, but you can’t control it much using the audio controls. I have the same set of music on my iPhone so I suppose I can use air play to play the music. It’s just weird the nano is no longer seen by it via USB port

This is what is wrong with our lives. Too much dependence on computers and technology. This is ridiculous that you can't start the car as it is doing an update. This is a failure by the engineers at Cadillac. I don't know of another car that does this. I have yet to experience this on any past car that I have had. I am glad that I read this post so that when I decide to do the update, I will do it in my garage. Can't lock the car during the update? Absurd.

large GIF

Nothing to see here. Move along.

FYI - I learned the hard way a few years ago to have a battery charger hooked up when doing large updates.

This is what is wrong with our lives. Too much dependence on computers and technology. This is ridiculous that you can't start the car as it is doing an update. This is a failure by the engineers at Cadillac. I don't know of another car that does this. I have yet to experience this on any past car that I have had. I am glad that I read this post so that when I decide to do the update, I will do it in my garage. Can't lock the car during the update? Absurd.
Wait for it!.....It doesn't always work all that well in the garage...lol

Mine came out okay. But yes it clearly says on the display that while the update gets loaded, you can’t drive it or lock it. I let mine get about half done then I got out of the car and started it the next day.

I'm not complaining about OTA updates if it keeps me out of the dealer goat pin. In my experience, all modern hardware that updates itself (phone, computer, TV, Tesla) the product is out of service while updating. Consider a luddite support group if these first world problems are too much.

Stopped off yesterday to get some carry out and it prompted me to update... I wasn't really paying attention and almost hit OK/Update. Imagine if I had to wait a full hour and came home late with cold food and empty cheesecake containers! Narrowly avoided a disaster.

I tried to do the update again and after a few hours went to check on and it told me it had failed to do it so at least that's better then telling me nothing like last time.

However there was no option under the update menu to try again. It says the car is up to date under the Update section of the infotainment, even my app says there's no updates available (before it said there was) and under the history of where past updates are stored it doesn't show it.

So I'm not really sure where the update went, it failed to update and now there no longer even an option for me to install it.

I wouldn’t worry about it. It will likely get pushed to the car again after some time. My car doesn’t even show that it has an available update. I seem to recall that the last time my car updated about one month after others started reporting they installed the update. How GM rolls these things out is a big mystery to me.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the updates contain? On my ATS-V, I removed Onstar and broke all connections except GPS navigation (including removing the backup battery). Less spyware and weight.

I had a 15 minute software update to do. The car was off, I pressed the install icon and the car responded with a countdown of 60 seconds. Upon returning to the car 1 hour later, the car did start, but when I left the car the radio stayed on and the display stayed on. The car was locked. The screen read download unsuccessful. This technology with the software updates is problematic to say the least. The software company responsible for this has done a poor job.

Vehicle OTA is a fun challenge. I used to work in that field (sort of still do). Unable to start or lock doors is pretty universal (stuff doesn't work right or at all if ECUs are inoperative).

Updates are pushed in phases so any unexpected problems don't affect the whole population (same with all software updates).

Taking much longer than the expected time (without a time out), or failing, is not excusable, though.

Taking it to the dealer to have them do the update is always an option at least.

The new software update in regards to controlling various seat functions has been completed. I am not sure how many attempts were made to do this successfully. I am just glad that my car started. I am tempted to decline further updates and have the dealer do all updates when I take the car in for service.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the updates contain? On my ATS-V, I removed Onstar and broke all connections except GPS navigation (including removing the backup battery). Less spyware and weight.
It said it was for functions related to the passenger seat (power movement) and various other items. No description on what the "various other items" were.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back