Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Protecting the semi-aniline leather

coffee_time

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2012 CTS-V (sold), 2017 CTS-V (sold), 2024 5BW
I bought some Gyeon leathershield because one website says it works on all types of leather. And then I found two other websites that say absolutely do NOT use this on aniline or semi-aniline leather.

Site that says "okay for all types of leather": Q² LeatherShield
Site that says it's NOT: Q² LEATHERSHIELD EVO - GYEON

Same company, one is their US site and the other is their global site.

Another that says it's not okay: Gyeon Leather Shield

I returned the product and now can't find anything to protect them. Anyone else using something I haven't thought about for long term protection?

I will be taking my 5BW out of winter storage on Wednesday. I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas to arrive. I have the the Sky Cool Grey seats and have noticed some dinginess started. It may be blue dye from denim jeans and a sweaty rear end. I have been going old school and just putting a beach towel over the seat. I am thinking about spending some money and taking the car to my upholstery guy and have some custom seat covers made that look just like the factory seats. I'm OCD that way. I even have floor mats over my floor mats !

I even have floor mats over my floor mats !
Folks, don't save it for the next guy. He's going to make it into a drift car, and doesn't care how nice the seats and carpets are.

Seriously, automotive leather is pretty robust stuff and the best thing you can do for it is to keep it clean. Dirt is abrasive and that hurts the leather. Just wipe it down with the soapy water that you use to clean the car and dry it off, and that will be better than 95% of the crap out there that claims to protect it. Do it every time you wash the car.

That said, Lexol is an excellent brand of leather cleaner and conditioner.

I will be taking my 5BW out of winter storage on Wednesday. I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas to arrive. I have the the Sky Cool Grey seats and have noticed some dinginess started. It may be blue dye from denim jeans and a sweaty rear end. I have been going old school and just putting a beach towel over the seat. I am thinking about spending some money and taking the car to my upholstery guy and have some custom seat covers made that look just like the factory seats. I'm OCD that way. I even have floor mats over my floor mats !
Just clean them, it comes right off. I waited over a year of daily driving to do mine and now they look great. I used the Griots 3 in 1 spray and a microfiber. Took all of 5 minutes.

Colourguard is also a great company to look into for leather care.

When I worked in my families body shop, way back in the day, I was the detailer guy. I was taught by my Dad to use the 120 psi blower tool to blow out the entire interior before I started cleaning and treating the leather seats. Tiny bits of stuff gets caught in the seams and becomes abrasive over time. This is where the seats would sometimes get tears in the fabric, right where the threads are. The blower is great for fluffing up the carpets and headliners. BUT.....you have to be careful , because 120 psi is powerful and can do damage also. I have a complete detail bay on the side of my house with an awning (stay out of sun) , vacuum, 90psi compressor, hose/ 1900 psi pressure washer. My next purchase will be one of those Quick Jacks, so I can easily do my wheels. My two cabinets are filled with all kinds of detail products. I have 5 cars and I stay busy in my retirement on the nice days. Unfortunately, my two sons show zero interest in cars , other than driving them to/from work.

Do you have clear plastic over your couch? What about the down the hallway, more plastic? :p Seriously though, stacking floor mats is asking for pedal interference. Just remove the OEM and put some Lloyds or similar in there.

I used the Gyeon Leather Shield on my sky blue grey and black interior with no problem. Used it on my wife's Kia Sorento with leather seats too. I haven't seen any issues. No color changes.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back