Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Nail in tire, oh joy...

GTANotch88

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'22 CT5-V BW
Friday night my car texted me that my tire pressure was low. Upon checking it, it was at 26psi but I couldn't see a nail or anything. The next morning I filled it back-up to 35psi. Then today it was down to 33. So I checked the tire again quickly and sure enough, a nice nail almost dead center.

So now the question is what to do about it. I plugged dozens of tires but I don't feel this is the right application for a simple plug. That leads me to patch or replace. At just over 400 a tire, I think replacing it is overkill and not necessary. I don't track the car or drive to Mexico, so a professionally installed patch should be fine, right? Years back I had a motorcycle tire patched because a new tire was unavailable in time(In the outer banks for a week) and the guy said just not to go like 100mph. I remembered that as I was doing like 120, oops.
20220828_192146.jpg

Attachments

• 20220828_192152.jpg
    20220828_192152.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I've had the pleasure of picking up two nails since I got my BW. I plugged them both and they're fine. (I would mildly disagree with your statement that "this [isn't] the right application for a simple plug". IMO, this is precisely the right application for a simple plug.)

These tires are such low treadwear rating that you'll end up replacing them soon enough anyway.

I would mildly disagree with your statement that "this [isn't] the right application for a simple plug". IMO, this is precisely the right application for a simple plug.
haha, yes I was just thinking that to myself. It's the exact application. What I guess I really meant was that an ultra high performance tire doesn't seem like it deserves a cheap quick plug.

This is why I got the wheel & tire pkg. That being said, I got a tire in 2nd week of ownership. However, couldn't find anyone that could get me a replacement due to constraints so had to have the rear plugged. I'm not sure if that's changed since. I've got a nail in the front right but hasn't lost pressure yet.

I used the exact same mushroom internal plug setup. Works fine and yes I've tracked cars with these plugs. They either work or they don't- you'll know! These are much better than the typical exterior only plug.

Specific to the Blackwing, there's so many cords and layers in these tires I actually broke that 1075 unit trying to insert a mushroom plug. Had to go to local awesome tire chain (Les Scwab who do not charge for flat repairs even for tires they don't sell like our Michelins) for a proper tire off the wheel interior patch job.

I ordered the 1085 upgraded version of the tire repair tool but know if it's more robust or just has a nicer carrying case. Hopefully I won't get any additional punctures and find out.

I used the exact same mushroom internal plug setup. Works fine and yes I've tracked cars with these plugs. They either work or they don't- you'll know! These are much better than the typical exterior only plug.

Specific to the Blackwing, there's so many cords and layers in these tires I actually broke that 1075 unit trying to insert a mushroom plug. Had to go to local awesome tire chain (Les Scwab who do not charge for flat repairs even for tires they don't sell like our Michelins) for a proper tire off the wheel interior patch job.

I ordered the 1085 upgraded version of the tire repair tool but know if it's more robust or just has a nicer carrying case. Hopefully I won't get any additional punctures and find out.
I read that it would be helpful to carry a cordless drill with a 4.5mm bit instead of trying to use the reamer tool since these tires are hard to get through.

It looks like the 1085 kit has a better handle on the reamer tool which should help and the nice case.

Last edited:
I've worn out the fronts on my 5BW and haven't had any luck finding a replacement. I'd plug it since otherwise you're either going to have to go with another type of tire or park the car.

I've worn out the fronts on my 5BW and haven't had any luck finding a replacement. I'd plug it since otherwise you're either going to have to go with another type of tire or park the car.
It looks like you can get them at Tire Rack if you don't select the "Acoustic Noise Reduction" set.

Friday night my car texted me that my tire pressure was low. Upon checking it, it was at 26psi but I couldn't see a nail or anything. The next morning I filled it back-up to 35psi. Then today it was down to 33. So I checked the tire again quickly and sure enough, a nice nail almost dead center.

So now the question is what to do about it. I plugged dozens of tires but I don't feel this is the right application for a simple plug. That leads me to patch or replace. At just over 400 a tire, I think replacing it is overkill and not necessary. I don't track the car or drive to Mexico, so a professionally installed patch should be fine, right? Years back I had a motorcycle tire patched because a new tire was unavailable in time(In the outer banks for a week) and the guy said just not to go like 100mph. I remembered that as I was doing like 120, oops.
View attachment 12228
Welcome to the club, I had my BW5 for 3 weeks and picked up a 5/8 drill bit. Good thing I got the wheel and tire insurance, the dealer had to replace my tire.

I talked to my local tire shop today. I'm going to drop the wheel/tire off tomorrow to get patched. They said they don't even do plugs.

I took the wheel off earlier today and cleaned it. That led me to thinking of having my wheels ceramic coated in the immediate future. Got a quote from a local place for 400. Seems like a good deal.

Everyone, please be aware, when getting new tires for your Blackwing, the TPC specific tires are not properly being shown on a few websites.
These are the specific part numbers you need
275/35ZR19 (100Y) XL TPC BSW - MSPN 72274
305/30ZR19 (102Y) XL TPC BSW - MSPN 58841

Had it patched today. The place also managed to lightly scratch 2 spokes, put wheel clamp makes on the inside barrel, not balance it when they said they did, and lost my oem valve stem cap. Oh and they had it filled to 43.5psi.
Needless to say the repair was then free. They offered to send the wheel out to have it refinished but I said no, because I feel it wouldn't match or age differently. So yea, not happy. Lesson learned once again about people who don't care touching my car or parts of it. I'm glad I didn't bring the whole car there. Now I have to still get the wheel balanced somewhere.

Anyways, anyone know the part number for the OEM small gray valve stem cap?

1st pic is last night, no clamp marks, 2nd pic is after the shop touched it.
20220829_204156.jpg
20220830_171207.jpg

Last edited:
I recently had a blow out on my 4BW after a huge pothole; not the same but I get the frustration. I would say patch the tire professionally; it's on a few dollars. If it doesn't work then pony up for a new tire, about $300 here in Michigan at Discount Tire.

Had it patched today. The place also managed to lightly scratch 2 spokes, put wheel clamp makes on the inside barrel, not balance it when they said they did, and lost my oem valve stem cap. Oh and they had it filled to 43.5psi.
Needless to say the repair was then free. They offered to send the wheel out to have it refinished but I said no, because I feel it wouldn't match or age differently. So yea, not happy. Lesson learned once again about people who don't care touching my car or parts of it. I'm glad I didn't bring the whole car there. Now I have to still get the wheel balanced somewhere.

Anyways, anyone know the part number for the OEM small gray valve stem cap?

1st pic is last night, no clamp marks, 2nd pic is after the shop touched it.
View attachment 12257View attachment 12258

I found a local mobile installer off Tirerack that uses a quality Hunter RoadForce balancer. He does a lot of of the high line cars around town. The only issue is the minimum fee is $109, so if you only have one tire to mount it is expensive but worth it if you don't want a scratched rim and enjoy the convenience of the installer coming to your home.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back