Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Nail in tire, oh joy...

I found a local mobile installer off Tirerack that uses a quality Hunter RoadForce balancer. He does a lot of of the high line cars around town. The only issue is the minimum fee is $109, so if you only have one tire to mount it is expensive but worth it if you don't want a scratched rim and enjoy the convenience of the installer coming to your home.
I used one of those at the shop I recently worked at. It does a good job. The machines they have nowadays are so smart, it makes it easy. I was able to mount and balance my own stuff for free. :)

My unfortunate turn to contribute to this thread. Headed out for a drive yesterday, noticed the left rear was at 18 psi. Sh!t. Found this:
PXL_20230115_164940379.jpg

PXL_20230115_171143993.jpg

Not sure what to do longer term, but for now I took the wheel off, brought it to a friend's place, and we proceeded to plug the tire.

PXL_20230115_183647889.jpg

PXL_20230115_184223607.jpg

Which turned into this, after some driving.
PXL_20230116_003920272.jpg

Holding hair rather well at the moment, but I'll probably look to order some tires in the near future.

If it doesn't lose air in the next few days, I wouldn't worry about it at all for street use. (Went through the same on the original set last year and used a mushroom plug with no problem - other than getting through the tight cords in this particular tire.)

Shave the excess with a razor blade if its a lump still. Its usually best to do that right after you install.

So your experience with this unit has been fine? I've never used this type. I have an order with Modern Spare and they just sent an email that production has resumed for the 5BW. Its pricey though, $700 for the unit and Im rethinking carrying it in such a small trunk all the time. Better to plug and replaced if need be?

Shave the excess with a razor blade if its a lump still. Its usually best to do that right after you install.

This was done, although maybe not to the degree you are recommending. I didn't show all the pictures, and my friend did the work. He's a car guy and he has done this before. He did trim the excess to a significant degree, this is what was left. It was his opinion, based on instructions and past experience, not to trim all the way down to the tire, but leave a little bit outside that will get melted & worn down. Just as you see pictured.

Can anyone tell me what a "stop-flat" tire reference is here? From the CT4V BW monroney sticker.
tires.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what a "stop-flat" tire reference is here? From the CT4V BW monroney sticker.
View attachment 16056
If you have a flat, stop. As opposed to RUN-FLAT where if you have a flat you can continue to run. We exhaustively covered this some time ago. The wording is odd.

Oh, thanks for that. I know that some Cadillacs come with self sealing tires, so I though this was the case here.

I too picked up a nail at about 1800 miles. I use Tech Tire plug kit, they have a vulcanizing coating with fiber reinforced plug. Never had a problem, believe it or not I picked up table fork in my truck tire years ago pulling a trailer on my way to Daytona Bike week. Took 5 plugs to seal cut but never had a problem with it for life of tire.
Always trim as close to tread as possible. I've seen regular rope plugs pulled out due to leaving too much plug and it gets pulled out under braking.

I had to patch two tires 1.5 years ago for nails, one for my Z06 and the other for my ZL1 1LE. First time I've ever picked up a nail and I got two that summer.

I've even done a Corvette track day and no issues with the patch.

Unless you have wheel and tire protection packages I'd always opt to patch it and see how it goes unless your doing any kind of competitive driving.

Gets you out of a bind in a 5BW. 1085 kit.

Attachments

• 20230123_224056_resized.jpg
    20230123_224056_resized.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 81
I just go to my local discount tire that patched holes from the inside. And they usually say it’s free to earn my future business.

That's the best solution^^^^

Hoping the little Caddy Compressor can get you off the side of the road more than once? I wonder if it's covered under warranty?

I'm definitely not spraying that crap inside my wheels and tires!

The emergency plan, plugs and that little compressor.

This was done, although maybe not to the degree you are recommending. I didn't show all the pictures, and my friend did the work. He's a car guy and he has done this before. He did trim the excess to a significant degree, this is what was left. It was his opinion, based on instructions and past experience, not to trim all the way down to the tire, but leave a little bit outside that will get melted & worn down. Just as you see pictured.

Still holding air, no issues at all, after two months. Recall, this was a plug, not an internal patch. Not shaved/trimmed all the way down, left a little bit exposed that would eventually get worn down.

Dxum_Ia6UORzdME6fIMAy3OzfksCgJYR1V2BUiR2VyyGL8PEGf4aG1AUlzPJYRljGWYhp-n97xDqrc1ClQEbr4IOnYe059Z3rZTrj2VrfGnkXTFZiyJMUY_Xw6Aua8ASNebQEqnoIaQnTCkeskUCIGRp1Rq6f0JGW7xOtrexPJGYJxINMR7rPpVmwrF8ohqk4ZFkgtq7sezfzpP4JcUkyLI_8uvdZh993X-_Qg57cxn-O-uywHk6QJ_vDlP_BFqD20d-p5J2irnS2vi2x7icYJ3rTJuvgYCUK8CIczoCd-6tamYdCl4dr3YEF5bAQNVf5qV31hgatjcEFKiokqyjHI28c3D2d_ZwaulzP5gJ_rnWUcQ_kgTWwvNleOV_60LP8e773xIjxw5A9rWsxU6lh6K6FvnprTVva_2gZlSMJ2hTWVywmLX5A8q9YuOGdiXZAA2e0o1gjQ0KlqB1DqrZAK-WXNmPW0DpTPNf_QHnTym_sozCweDyH3fq_-0vLwI4jyGeFQSItaZlGMQIekQr26XrhEUqVcm7LLR9vdRaWjskvzUr8bxA6VN3APN5lLzk9mlzu37JdvUhYgi5V9axPg_AXiqX0YxS2_k9ERQmJyiSSp60-1fhRRQnDtlHRHNSiQnN4Y5hxIV9H51XbtCwzjJlg-6cvEhKfK0H_WY-3FmGPByKj7AqP6j9DwaXbHRg7f-vvciekbb1j3szM14sTm4tgLNr0AW-zU8PFIiVgrlC7Un2uCBCUCHgsf4F9UloproHH-3AboRoqaxCuFmSzWfIoI7rOnXwIE93loWOQELyeU36V6iO6mJKjPKV0PSkYzqLZspaUz0I9akNWxRCNEa6_OfIKtXmYywXQb-2SKHgt_n8C9SUN5HjstzkHbVmGpgs3Fcs5HSA90DNgghGZtGd7Vi75BB3XhTAlEVZNSGRSg=w580-h770-no

Just picked up my first screw as well. So annoying when you only have 2000 miles on a car and new tires. Anyway, plugged it up with my trusty Tire Plugger, holding air for 2 weeks now so I think I was able to get a nice seal.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 2.04.34 PM.png

Just picked up my first screw as well. So annoying when you only have 2000 miles on a car and new tires. Anyway, plugged it up with my trusty Tire Plugger, holding air for 2 weeks now so I think I was able to get a nice seal.

View attachment 17653
Had that same mushroom kit until I had to plug a Summer performance run flat. Destroyed the gun trying to insert the plug. Found a more robust version on Amazon that hopefully will last longer.

Q
Had that same mushroom kit until I had to plug a Summer performance run flat. Destroyed the gun trying to insert the plug. Found a more robust version on Amazon that hopefully will last longer.
What one was was that?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners