Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Carbon Ceramic replacement cost

Carguyshu

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
I have my order in for a CT5 BW with the standard steel brakes, but I can still change it for the next couple weeks. On other cars I know the CCB (carbon ceramic brake) rotors can be just flat absurd in cost to replace (4k+ PER rotor). I can't seem to find any online GM parts website that has been updated for 2022 to compare the steel brake replacement costs to the CCB. The dealer I'm ordering the car from was saying front/back pads for the CCB are roughly $1k to replace and that the front CCB rotors are only $724 each (compared to about $500 for the steel) and only $256 each for the rear (compared to $133). These numbers don't seem right. If I can buy the pads/rotors that cheap I can't imagine adding the calipers too would put one anywhere close to the $9k the option costs. It is almost like you could buy the parts and convert the car to CCB cheaper than ordering the option, which doesn't make sense.

Anyone have any clue what the actual replacement costs are? I plan on heavily tracking the car and I know the CCB will last longer, but if they are absurd to replace then I'm going to stick with the standard brakes. I know the CCB would likely last the lifetime of the car with normal driving, but this will not experience normal driving. Many Porsche drivers at the track I've talked with dump their CCB for regular b/c the replacement cost is so much less. Does Cadillac use the CCB at their driving school for those that have gone? I think that would be a pretty big indicator as to what the best direction to go is.

Any chance you have part numbers? I'm heading to VIR in a couple weeks and am thinking of bringing a spare set of pads.

While the parts info at most of the sites hasn't been updated yet, you can get a good idea by looking at the C7 ZR1 CCB's which IIRC, the BW5's are based on.

Just one front rotor is $1,500/ea. Wear on the CCB's is about the same as iron if used for tracking. For daily, they last significantly longer.

I went ahead and called my local dealer and was able to get part numbers but he could only get a price on the front pads which retail for $555.

Front:
- Pads: 85143795
- L Rotor: 85575887
- R Rotor: 85575888

Rear:
- Pads: 85108204
- L Rotor: 85575889
- R Rotor: 85575890

I priced the CCBs for either a C7 or the BW about 2 months ago at RockAuto and full OEM pads and rotors ran about $8k in parts only...

I just realized the front rotors on the C8 Z06 with CCBs are the same size as those on the 5BW (15.7"). Those are both bigger than what was on the C7 Z06/ZR1 (15.5"). Hopefully this means they will hold up better to track use.

I have my order in for a CT5 BW with the standard steel brakes, but I can still change it for the next couple weeks. On other cars I know the CCB (carbon ceramic brake) rotors can be just flat absurd in cost to replace (4k+ PER rotor). I can't seem to find any online GM parts website that has been updated for 2022 to compare the steel brake replacement costs to the CCB. The dealer I'm ordering the car from was saying front/back pads for the CCB are roughly $1k to replace and that the front CCB rotors are only $724 each (compared to about $500 for the steel) and only $256 each for the rear (compared to $133). These numbers don't seem right. If I can buy the pads/rotors that cheap I can't imagine adding the calipers too would put one anywhere close to the $9k the option costs. It is almost like you could buy the parts and convert the car to CCB cheaper than ordering the option, which doesn't make sense.

Anyone have any clue what the actual replacement costs are? I plan on heavily tracking the car and I know the CCB will last longer, but if they are absurd to replace then I'm going to stick with the standard brakes. I know the CCB would likely last the lifetime of the car with normal driving, but this will not experience normal driving. Many Porsche drivers at the track I've talked with dump their CCB for regular b/c the replacement cost is so much less. Does Cadillac use the CCB at their driving school for those that have gone? I think that would be a pretty big indicator as to what the best direction to go is.
I had the pleasure of attending the 1st Black Wing owners class and they do have CCB on the CT5 Black Wings , this is a big heavy car so the brakes and tires probably won’t last long when it is driven aggressively . The class was just as expected , great Instructors and staff, well organized and fun . We were very lucky to have a small group , only 6 of us in the whole class . I was able to go out with just J.J. and have clear track for 3 sessions so we didn’t have to slow down and regroup every other lap. A big shout out to Rick and his entire staff thanks for the experience and of course to Cadillac and their engineers for building this car and offering this driver training to owners and potential customers.

Those prices while expensive compared to steel rotors, are much lower than I thought. The replacement cost just for front PCCB rotors on my 2012 911 Turbo S is $11k😳. I have 61k miles on the car and replaced pads in a timely manner. Rotors still look good.

Those prices while expensive compared to steel rotors, are much lower than I thought. The replacement cost just for front PCCB rotors on my 2012 911 Turbo S is $11k😳. I have 61k miles on the car and replaced pads in a timely manner. Rotors still look good.
CCB rotors must be weighed to see if they are still good rather than measured for thickness. Next pad change you might want to check the weight. Minimum should be stamped on them somewhere.

I had the pleasure of attending the 1st Black Wing owners class and they do have CCB on the CT5 Black Wings , this is a big heavy car so the brakes and tires probably won’t last long when it is driven aggressively . The class was just as expected , great Instructors and staff, well organized and fun . We were very lucky to have a small group , only 6 of us in the whole class . I was able to go out with just J.J. and have clear track for 3 sessions so we didn’t have to slow down and regroup every other lap. A big shout out to Rick and his entire staff thanks for the experience and of course to Cadillac and their engineers for building this car and offering this driver training to owners and potential customers.
Yes, it was a great class and you're quite the driver.
I over heard the instructors saying you're the fastest student they ever had.
They kind of owed it to you to get you some clear track, without us slow pokes holding you up.
Would love to see your PDR footage.

rear pad kit now has an MSRP and it is a whopping $1,208.94! You can get on GMpartsdirect for $656, but still

ok pricing is now out on the front right rotor. MSRP $5,153.11. on GM Parts America (only site I've found it on) the sale price is $3,524.72. You gotta go through a lot of steel rotors to add up to $3,524.72!

ok pricing is now out on the front right rotor. MSRP $5,153.11. on GM Parts America (only site I've found it on) the sale price is $3,524.72. You gotta go through a lot of steel rotors to add up to $3,524.72!
Agreed… you gotta go through a lot to go through a CC rotor also….

I also had PCCB in my 911 turbo and was advised by many to install steel replacements when tracking.. A few hard track days will end the rotors quickly.

I too am trying to decide - standard or CCB? Don't plan to track the car regularly - maybe a couple of times a year. Won't be my DD as I live in a snow state so will garage it from Dec-April. I wonder - would I notice the difference if I wasn't comparing them back to back? Love to hear any insights...thx

I was contemplating trying to retrofit my V3 a couple of years ago and priced out OEM carbon ceramics from the C7 Z06 at RockAuto. Parts with tax and shipping were just over $10k (I didn't pull the trigger.) I can only imagine what larger and newer ceramics would cost for the Blackwing if you can even get them in the next year or so. Someone posted a message about finding a single OEM front rotor for $5k...

I was contemplating trying to retrofit my V3 a couple of years ago and priced out OEM carbon ceramics from the C7 Z06 at RockAuto. Parts with tax and shipping were just over $10k (I didn't pull the trigger.) I can only imagine what larger and newer ceramics would cost for the Blackwing if you can even get them in the next year or so. Someone posted a message about finding a single OEM front rotor for $5k...
wow....that's what scares me...

This thread scares me. I'm not tracking mine, but went with ceramic figuring I should never have to change the rotors and it'll help keep brake dust to a minimum. So I figured for the extra 8400 it'll (hopefully) be worth it in the long run...or at least be close🤞

I too am trying to decide - standard or CCB? Don't plan to track the car regularly - maybe a couple of times a year. Won't be my DD as I live in a snow state so will garage it from Dec-April. I wonder - would I notice the difference if I wasn't comparing them back to back? Love to hear any insights...thx
The main advantages are low dust, saving unsprung weight, & longer lasting rotors. Now the rotors are absurd in price if/when they do need replaced (see my comment above about pricing) & can be easily damaged by a clumsy tech putting on a wheel or a rogue rock. If they get chipped you’re done & must replace. As far as stopping performance is concerned according to the former stigs review of the car for TFL GM says it is the same for steel and carbon ceramic. There’s a handling advantage though with the lower unsprung weight of the CC. If you daily drive the CC rotors will likely go 100k+. If you track it then it depends on how hard you go and how much heat you throw at them. Cc rotors must be weighed to see if they’re still good not thickness measured like a traditional rotor. They usually go about twice as long as steel rotors. Depending on the track, driving style, etc most corvette guys get around 15 days out of their CC. That’s on a lighter car though.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back