Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Locked key fob in trunk by accident with no way back in

Cammie

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4-V
Hi,

Is this normal behavior? I went to play golf with my 2022 Blackwing CT4-V. Put key fob into golf bag. Finished playing, walked up to car, opened trunk (with my hand). Put golf bag (with fob) into trunk and shut trunk.

The car made the 3 horn honks indicating that the fob was in the car - yep - it's in my golf bag.

BUT - I now can't unlock the doors from outside, even though the key is inside. I expect that this is normal behavior? Is there some setting I can enable to prevent this from ever happening again? I haven't enabled OnStar yet (just got the car) - so the only way was for my spouse to drive a long way with the other key. This seems sort of inconvenient, to say the least.

Does anyone have any insight into how to keep this from happening again?

Thanks!

CC

Hi,

Is this normal behavior? I went to play golf with my 2022 Blackwing CT4-V. Put key fob into golf bag. Finished playing, walked up to car, opened trunk (with my hand). Put golf bag (with fob) into trunk and shut trunk.

The car made the 3 horn honks indicating that the fob was in the car - yep - it's in my golf bag.

BUT - I now can't unlock the doors from outside, even though the key is inside. I expect that this is normal behavior? Is there some setting I can enable to prevent this from ever happening again? I haven't enabled OnStar yet (just got the car) - so the only way was for my spouse to drive a long way with the other key. This seems sort of inconvenient, to say the least.

Does anyone have any insight into how to keep this from happening again?

Thanks!

CC
Best solution.....pretty obvious, guessing you figured this one out already. . . Don't put your keys in the trunk.

On star will be the easiest otherwise. Unlock from phone. . . unless your phone is in your trunk...then refer back to solution above but substitute 'keys' for 'phone'.

Good luck.

You could probably call Onstar. 1-888-4ONSTAR and they should be able to unlock.

I'm still waiting for my car, but have a PDF of the owner's manual. I found this:

Keyless Trunk Opening
Press the touch pad on the rear of the trunk above the license plate if the remote key is within 1 m (3 ft).

Does the touch pad work?

You would think that since it knew the fob was in the car (3 honks) that it would have still let you unlock the doors or trunk with the pad. If just the doors could unlock, you could have crawled through to the trunk.

You could always turn off passive locking, so that you had to purposely lock the car and it would not lock when you walked away.

I left my keys in my golf bag once and put the bag in the trunk of my S6. When I tried to shut it, the trunk kept bouncing back open and I thought there was something wrong with the latch. Turns out, Audi somehow sees that the keys are in the truck and doesn't let dummies like me shut the thing. I thought that was pretty cool.

Did a few tests on my car. Short version scenario..
  • Locked the car manually with door button. Fob not in proximity to the car. All doors and trunk are locked.
  • Retrieved fob, opened trunk with pad and threw fob inside, closed trunk.
  • 3 chirps from horn (car knows key is inside)
  • The driver's door unlocked, but everything else remained locked.
Also, when fob was placed in the trunk and closed, the car would not let me be locked out of the driver's door by using the door button.

So, did the OP try the driver's door when he thought he was locked out?

Did a few tests on my car. Short version scenario..
  • Locked the car manually with door button. Fob not in proximity to the car. All doors and trunk are locked.
  • Retrieved fob, opened trunk with pad and threw fob inside, closed trunk.
  • 3 chirps from horn (car knows key is inside)
  • The driver's door unlocked, but everything else remained locked.
Also, when fob was placed in the trunk and closed, the car would not let me be locked out of the driver's door by using the door button.

So, did the OP try the driver's door when he thought he was locked out?
Oh man, his wife is gonna be PISSED. 😲

Did the exact same thing after a round of golf Sunday….but I was able to still unlock/open the drivers door. Panicked for a second, then realized I could’ve used my Cadillac app easily if needed.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back