Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Leather or microfiber steering wheel/shifter?

Sphinx

Seasoned Member
I know that the microfiber can often wear off and end up not so great. Are you guys sticking with the leather or getting the option?

Car will be a manual - so lots of shifting.

I don't have personal experience with microfiber in a high wear application like a steering wheel. So I welcome your thoughts.

I have the microfiber, and I love it. It will NOT wear off. When you see what looks like worn off microfiber, it's just severely matted down with oils/dirt. Just use a microfiber towel and good interior cleaner (or, from my detail guy, use ONR quick detailer dilution) to rub the wheel and shifter down once a month or so. Look at YouTube for mf steering wheel restoration. Almost no matter how bad they get, you can almost always bring them back to life. The stuff is VERY durable.

Had Alcantara on my Camaro wheel/shifter. Loved it. Steering wheel never became lava and obviated the need for driving gloves. Used MF towel and warm water for routine washes, the Sonax for deeper cleans.

I didn't build my 4BW but it was optioned with the Alcantara wheel. I like it but am used to having that style wheel from my sim-racing setup. The key is routine maintenance and care.

For me, the micro suede was a no brainer, my hands sweat a lot and the leather option on this steering wheels seems like its more prone to go shiny quicker. Basic care like brushing it once a week with a leather brush releases any matted fibers and its basically new again in about a minute.

Had it in my last Civic Type R - liked it and found it easy to keep looking and feeling good if you clean it every 6 months, so changed my BW order to add it and don't regret it for a second.

I agree-- two thumbs ups for the alcantara. All the way. Was worried for same reasons but it's no prob w/ simple cleaning. I've really grown to love the look of it as well (not just the feel) and it matches nicely w/ rest of alcantara on interior (roof, seat backs, ect).

I wouldn’t have ordered the alcantara wheel/shifter, but I found my car available at a dealer and jumped on it. I’m super happy with the tactile feel and look, and from what I’ve heard maintenance is a non issue. I would definitely order it.

Leather for me. Alcantra sounds better overall but it's a consistency/feel thing. My other hobbies are rock climbing and weight lifting so my hands stay dry and calloused. Alcantra just feels gross and weird to me...

I also have the luxury of experiencing the Alcantara on the ZL1 before getting the Caddy.

It's not bad, but I ordered regular leather on my 5BW. I'm happy with it.

They're both good - you can't really make a mistake.

Alcantara? Really...about the only thing that crap is good for is taking a bite out of steering wheel with my teeth! Fat Leather ROUND WHEEL FOR THIS GUY! I think Alcantara is pure crap put that crap in a BMW where it belongs.

I like leather on my women and my steering wheel!
Olivia Newton John Smoking GIF

Last edited:
Are there other Alcantara pieces in the interior? I'm really starting to lean towards the leather. I have seen some pics of it and I think I like it better.

I wish they did a partial Alcantara/leather wheel. There are some good ones out there - the C7 ZR1, C8, AMG has a nice one, the Quadrafoglio, the old GT350. Best of both worlds, less wear (holding the wheel during spirited driving vs highway cruising) and it looks great.

Yes there is a nice mix of materials throughout the interior. Smooth leather, some alcantara, and even some hard surfaces that have a starlight pattern inside them. With the gray/black upholstery with red piping, I think its very attractive.

FWIW, I have alcantara. It's nice, but I'd prefer leather. I will say, alcantara is better on the track. Leather could get slippery from sweat and the alcantara will still give you grip.

FWIW, I have alcantara. It's nice, but I'd prefer leather. I will say, alcantara is better on the track. Leather could get slippery from sweat and the alcantara will still give you grip.

I wear racing gloves when I'm on track. Those tend to get grimy quickly.

My racecar has an Alcantara steering wheel. It replaced a momo Alcantara that had all the fuzz worn off.

After reading all these reviews, I'm actually leaning to leather.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back