Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Sueded microfiber steering wheel

ITT guys who don't wash their hands or use too much lotion.

giphy.gif

ITT guys who don't wash their hands or use too much lotion.

Or live in swampy climates like Southeast Texas or Florida.

I've had a couple cars that came with them, didnt take much to take care of them. Trick that I learned from a buddy who details using a bucket with hot water with some dawn soap and a towel. Soak the towel in the water solution and wring it out but not completely. Then wrap the towel on the steering tight and rub it on. You pick up the dirt and stuff off the alcantara and rinse it out. Soak it again, keep doing it until the towel starts wringing out clean after rubbing the steering wheel. When it drys out, its fluffs up and was doing this for a good 2 years with no issue on my older V.

In defense of Alcantara, after I discovered how to properly maintain it, there are some really good things about it:

In hot weather climates, it never gets too hot to touch like leather. And it's really excellent during high performance driving. Obivates the need for driving gloves, as the soft texture is easier on the hands.
I love the alcantara for track, and if you DO use gloves (I just use some Mechanix slip ons) it's almost like an NFL receiver using sticky gloves on a tackified football.

I just use ONR detail spray, or Griots interior cleaner to dampen a towel and fluff up the alcantara every month or 2.

I didn't want the alcantara but it somehow ended up on my order. Never had one before but didn't want it for same reasons. In fact, I was trying to buy a leather wheel to replace it before I even got the car! But... I FREAKING LOVE IT!!! It has grown on me so much, both the feel & the look (really fits in with the alcantara in the rest of the car). Plus, to me, makes the car more special. Wish my other car had same wheel. I just make sure my hands are clean before driving & have come to learn it's not hard to maintain & keep looking fresh. Hands down, would order w/ it again.

Not to he controversial, but I agree with this after many cars with microfiber or alcantara steering wheels, etc.
Totally agree.

I currently have a 2nd gen, it's a 2014 and was a lease turn-in I got in 2017. It had the suede option and when I picked it up I was amazed at how nice the steering wheel and shifter were. I later figured out that they must have been replaced as part of the "certified cadillac" program because it didn't take long before they got matted down.

In the end I swapped them for the regular leather versions. (Which have been awesome!)

Yeah tell me about it. FHC residue is also difficult to get off of pillows, comforters, and tighty whitey underwear.
I've heard socks work well.

I opted for the suede and almost feel guilty every time I'm driving thinking I'm slowly matting it. Then I hit the gas and forget all about it.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back