Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I see a lot of people not liking the sunroof option

This is my first car in 8 years that doesn’t have a sunroof. If I were ordering I would have optioned it. I agree with what others have said regarding the looks and weight, but I’ve personally never had an issue stemming from a sunroof. To me I could find differences in the flow of air and overall sound level with just the sunroof open v the windows. I almost never use air conditioning and I hope I’m not missing it come summer. That was the biggest consideration I was weighing before buying. Unless you are a hardcore track junkie, I think most of it will come down to personal preference as the looks are subjective and the weight is probably negligible difference in actual performance to 99% of drivers.

But most important when I use my bong the smoke extracts a hell of a lot faster when the roof is opened, especially after 60 mph! Just saying.
Do you realize how dangerous and irresponsible this is? If something goes wrong, you're going to spill bong water in the car and you're never going to get the smell out. I find grinding weed and packing 1 1/4 cones is much is safer and conducive to smoking and driving. Raw Blacks are ideal for this application.

Let’s be honest, aesthetically, speaking, the black wing is not something most people would consider “a beautiful car with great lines”. It’s an animal on the road but it’s nothing to look at….
Yesterday in bumper to bumper traffic a very nice looking purple Dodge Charger pulled up along side of me and the young man inside got me to roll down my window and went on and on what a beautiful car I was driving and how much he loved it. I agree....but its somewhat subjective. I think the BMW M coup from the 90s is a fantastic looking car and I seem to be in the minority....

I liked the M coupe but went with the M3 coupe instead (with a sunroof).
& I ordered the 5 with the roof.

My brother dropped 150k on a brand new 2024 Mercedes Benz S-580 sedan. Its been in the dealership service department for longer than he owned it. Phantom check engine light 3x, so far. I told him to brush up on the NY Lemon Laws.

Not a fan? Never have been...............
The owner of my shop had one back in the day - pretty much stock except for maybe an intake and a roll cage. When I complained about the Mercedes sedan (who the F knows what designation) as a loaner car he started to let me take his M coup instead. It was raw and it was great fun to drive....handled quite well. Anyway I've been a huge fan of the car ever since. We even talked about swapping cars (his coup for my Audi S4 Avant) but never seriously. Everyone wanted my Audi...

Yesterday in bumper to bumper traffic a very nice looking purple Dodge Charger pulled up along side of me and the young man inside got me to roll down my window and went on and on what a beautiful car I was driving and how much he loved it. I agree....but its somewhat subjective. I think the BMW M coup from the 90s is a fantastic looking car and I seem to be in the minority....
Well, to be fair, a Charger isn’t exactly a great looking car either….. just a tad worse than a Blackwing l. Great performance, much like the Blackwing but quite frankly, Fugly.

There’s no accounting for good or bad taste!!

Well, to be fair, a Charger isn’t exactly a great looking car either….. just a tad worse than a Blackwing l. Great performance, much like the Blackwing but quite frankly, Fugly.

There’s no accounting for good or bad taste!!
Like the Blackwings I'm glad they (along with the other Mopar siblings) exist. I'd never buy one myself - not so much because of the looks (which I like) but just not my kind of car (other than power). I had one as a rental once and quite enjoyed it.

I found this Throttle House episode with Chris Harris very entertaining....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTKs9Ia1uJ0 (with Ct 5 V BW comparo)

I had a '99 M Coupe in Estoril Blue Metallic (the S52 with the 240 h.p.), and it was such an under appreciated car back in the day. I traded my 2000 S2000 in on it, and never looked back. However, I got rid of it before the whole rear subframe issue was an issue, and my wife told me that if I picked her up in that car, she would never have talked to me.

I had a '99 M Coupe in Estoril Blue Metallic (the S52 with the 240 h.p.), and it was such an under appreciated car back in the day. I traded my 2000 S2000 in on it, and never looked back. However, I got rid of it before the whole rear subframe issue was an issue, and my wife told me that if I picked her up in that car, she would never have talked to me.
Love those older bmws. I had S52 Z3M roadsters…fun, fast, and light cars. Had an S54 Z4M coupe as well. Cool to see other peeps here with similar prior cars somehow end up at Cadillac!!!

Sunroof in every car I’ve owned since college. Don’t give a hoot how cool the car is without it. I like it so I require one. I don’t like convertibles (contacts + dust, and hate the way they look with the top up) but I like the idea of openness of my car. So an open sunroof with windows down does the trick.

Sunroof in every car I’ve owned since college. Don’t give a hoot how cool the car is without it. I like it so I require one. I don’t like convertibles (contacts + dust, and hate the way they look with the top up) but I like the idea of openness of my car. So an open sunroof with windows down does the trick.
Same for me and I have never had an issue on any of them… I only have one vehicle nowadays that sits outside today as it doesn’t fit in my garage (plus all 3 garage bays are filled with other cars) my 22 GMC AT4 and has been outside for over two years, no issues at all. Next car will have one too.

I speced out my 5BW without the sunroof bc I didn't want to deal with yet another point of possible failure in the vehicle's life span during my ownership. Moreover, if I want sun, I have the C8 HTC to drive.

I've had a sunroof in previous vehicles bc that's how they were at the dealer's lot: 2020 Dodge Charger WB Hellcat, 2021 Genesis GV80, 2013 Porsche Cayenne, 2012 Ford F-150. The sunroof on the F-150 failed after 5 years & wouldn't retract or close completely. I currently have a 2017 Ford F-150 that I purchased 2nd hand & its sunroof failed a few months after purchase. Maybe it's just a Ford "thing" but I'm not a fan.

Last edited:
I see why some people don't like them but I'm another one here who has one & likes it.

I do track my car but I'm an amateur so the extra weight doesn't bother me. The car is still fast AF!

Never have had a technical problem with any sunroofs before, nor do I know anyone personally who has. \With that said, I don't drive mine in the rain & I store it in the garage.

Lastly, I don't find them to be offensive to the eyes. I think they actually improve the appearance/experience from the inside. The pic posted previously here is form a weird angle- no one looks at it from that view. Rarely open mine, but I like the openness it offers.

With that said, I would love my car just as much if it didn't have one. Don't think you can go wrong either way unless you're dead set about weight or head space. I think the chances of one leaking or being faulty are the same chances as anything else going wrong.

Another good reason not to have a sunroof. What if this happens at speed and your unseatbelted wife gets sucked out ! LOL !

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back