Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

How 'under the radar' is your Blackwing?

NorCal Blackwing

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing MT (Current), 2012 CTS-V Wagon MT (past)
I just got done reading the 'de-badge your Blackwing' thread and had a thought/question that I thought deserved its own thread...

There's no Blackwing badge (on the 22's at least) and they look quite similar to the regular CT5s (particularly from the rear or the side).

A lot of folks (myself included) have been thinking this car would fly way under the radar. Especially on a spec like mine in a muted color and with no carbon fiber package. I kinda loved the idea of that.

But...

Yes, I run 'My Mode' with the engine sound dialed all the way up, which probably doesn't help, but it's rare that I don't get a thumbs-up, nod or a wave from someone in an AMG, M, Hellcat just driving out and about on my regular commute.

It's not quite the same as a bright yellow Porsche, but for those who know, this car seems far from invisible.

What has been your experience?

(Photo credit - @raccoon_with_camera on IG)
IMG_7023.JPG

I started a thread on this a couple weeks ago that the dementia-addled, dad meme, spammers took off topic per the usual...
...that aside, as a 1st time GM product owner I'm surprised how regularly it happens. Pretty much anywhere anytime.
I was walking back to my car after grabbing a coffee at 6am Sat and 2 kayakers (on their truck, not on the water, lol) having their coffees started giving kudos and asking questions.
I told a friend it happens a lot and we did a morning ocean, 84, Alices run and coming back through the junction, everyone in this AC Cobra club that were shooting the shit, turned and watched us roll by. He says I thought they were looking at some Lambo or something across the street but there is nothing over there 😆

I’ve had my 5BW for about one month and 300+ miles and on the street I’ve received zero recognition. I can attribute this to geographic location/demographics and the Shadow Metallic color which lives up to it’s name and makes the car practically invisible, or well, like a moonlit shadow. I like the fact that the car doesn’t scream, “look at me.” I subscribe to the Gray Man doctrine and I would not buy a car contrary to that.

The only time I’ve had someone come up to me was at a Cadillac dealer and at a Buick dealer. The sales manager at the Buick dealer worked at the Cadillac dealer at one time.

I get far more recognition with my Jeep, which is not surprising given the strong off-road culture in Arizona. Here people would be far more impressed with a well modded Jeep than a sports car.

I started a thread on this a couple weeks ago that the dementia-addled, dad meme, spammers took off topic per the usual...
...that aside, as a 1st time GM product owner I'm surprised how regularly it happens. Pretty much anywhere anytime.
I was walking back to my car after grabbing a coffee at 6am Sat and 2 kayakers (on their truck, not on the water, lol) having their coffees started giving kudos and asking questions.
I told a friend it happens a lot and we did a morning ocean, 84, Alices run and coming back through the junction, everyone in this AC Cobra club that were shooting the shit, turned and watched us roll by. He says I thought they were looking at some Lambo or something across the street but there is nothing over there 😆
Can you provide a link so I can make sure that you just didn't kick me in the nuts, and if you did, :finger 😁

Interesting; so far it seems to depend on where you are. Despite stereotypes about Berkeley and SF, the Bay Area has a pretty strong car culture. I'd be kind of curious to hear how it is in LA...

Mine is de-badged with black cadillac badges, tinted markers and windows. I get compliments on the car weekly. I was just at the post office 15 minutes ago and had individual say something about the car. But no one knows what it is, they just like the look of it. Which I believe is what you're aiming for.

Here is what I posted in that thread that shall not be named:

So I owned 3 Lotus before this car. Lotus are super rare, especially where I live, and to your average person look exotic, so they always got a lot of attention. Sometimes to a point where it got annoying. Walking out to my car and people standing around it. People constantly asking how fast it was, how much it cost, etc. Occasionally you would get someone who knew what it was and actually have good conversation.

So when I decided to get this car part of me was a little relieved that it wouldn't get any attention. I was actually wrong. While it doesn't get as much attention that the Lotii did, it has gotten more way more attention than I expected. The good part is since to your average person it looks like just a Cadillac it filters out a lot of the negative interactions. So its mainly only people who know what it is. Really as it currently stands, the Blackwings are pretty rare cars, granted the models they are based from aren't. However for someone who knows what they are looking for they will get their attention for sure.

From memory I have had:
  • 1 guy at gas station come over
  • 1 guy come up to me at a parking lot wanting to check out the car (he didn't seem to know what exactly it was, but liked how it looked)
  • 3 people at stop lights tell me I had a nice car
  • 3 people give me thumbs up (1 WRX, 1 C5 Corvette, 1 Camaro)
  • BONUS: 1 guy I noticed in the passenger seat of a Land Rover with I assume was his wife driving, he was frantically pointing at my car as they were driving by saying I can only assume was something like "that is the car I want", but he could have been saying "that guy is an asshole" or "that is a piece of shit" for all I know

Last edited:
3 months and 1200 miles-
-One Camaro was checking the car out as I was getting off the highway.
-One random guy in Costco parking lot said, "nice car!"
-Supra wanted to go...from mid 2nd gear to just into 5th...was a dead heat. I dunno what mods that guy had...

Pretty inconspicuous. The guys who know, know.

3 months and 1200 miles-
-One Camaro was checking the car out as I was getting off the highway.
-One random guy in Costco parking lot said, "nice car!"
-Supra wanted to go...from mid 2nd gear to just into 5th...was a dead heat. I dunno what mods that guy had...

Pretty inconspicuous. The guys who know, know.

Per the Supra, if you have a CT4 then their numbers are about equal. Stock power is 30-40hp less in the Supra but it weights over 400lbs less. If you have a CT5 then who knows.

so far it seems to depend on where you are.
I think these anecdotes need the context of what the car looks like.

A car in Dark Emerald Frost, Electric Blue, Blaze Orange, or Infrared Tintcoat wearing the Tech Bronze wheels and all the carbon bits is going to stand out juuusst a bit more than a carbon-less car in Rift with the base wheels.

A car in Dark Emerald Frost, Electric Blue, Blaze Orange, or Infrared Tintcoat wearing the Tech Bronze wheels and all the carbon bits is going to stand out juuusst a bit more than a carbon-less car in Rift with the base wheels.
Oh sure; I avoided the electric blue for that reason and CF wasn't an option anyway :)

In my initial message I was surprised because I'm gray with black wheels and no CF. With no BW badge on the 22's there's not much more that could be done to stealth-ify it

Shadow Metallic + tan interior. Otherwise bog standard.
Me and OP are in the same area-ish so maybe the combo of monied tech bros, JDM racers, classic car collectors, and suburban American-muscle car gearheads gives us more chances to run into folks who are interested?

Per the Supra, if you have a CT4 then their numbers are about equal. Stock power is 30-40hp less in the Supra but it weights over 400lbs less. If you have a CT5 then who knows.
I have a 5. Given the 5 should trap, at the very least, 5 mph more than a stock A90 Supra, he definitely had some work done.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back