Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What is that green ring around the gear indicator

BimmerFan

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BW 6spd
I made a picture of it, below. No, I didn't take a picture, I'm not doing that while I'm trying to drive. I have enough trouble driving and shifting and chewing gum and listening to the radio all at once.

green.jpg

The car is a 2023 CT5-V Blackwing with three pedals, and the (I think) Tour display on the instrument panel. In the middle is the speedometer with the gear indicator in the middle of that. I've noticed recently that under some circumstances (I think it's RPMs up around 4K) the ring around the gear indicator turns green. Usually it's white (I rev-match with my right foot) and it seems to happen only in first gear. I cannot find any reference to the color changes (other than rev-match on/off) in the owner's manual. Has anyone else noticed this and/or know what it means?

Since it's green, I take it as a good thing, perhaps it means "go faster you wimp!" since I never do WOT in first. It's Winter here and even in the South it's cold and the tires never really get warmed up.

Thanks shbox, that's not surprising although green at 4K is hardly any kind of warning, and it's odd that it's not consistent in other gears.

I wish the owner's manual was clearer.... :rolleyes:

Thanks shbox, that's not surprising although green at 4K is hardly any kind of warning, and it's odd that it's not consistent in other gears.

Green is just indicating that you are driving properly and about to have fun if you keep on it. The owner’s manual and supplement is not clear about a lot of things most notably how PTM is actually working.

I'm pretty sure the ring goes from green to yellow to red as you rush towards redline. The challenge is every time it happens, I'm kinda busy managing everything and not staring at it

That ring color is also the only indicator that Rev Match is on.

Has anybody had inconsistency with their gear change indicator lights? In both sport and track modes I have found that the shift lights do not always work. I believe the engine temp is a parameter and it's always up to temp, so wondering if anyone has noticed similar behavior and honed in on what causes it.

Yup, green means GO! Keep on flooring it. As you get closer to red line it will turn yellow like a warning & then red- time to shift. Weird that only happens in1 st gear for you though... should for them all.

By the time you reach the shift point in second gear you're already illegal.

Interesting. I only see this come on in first gear.

I experimented with this a little bit today. Which on rain-wet roads made for a little squirelliness. I suppose there are slow ways to get to high RPM, but I don't need to know about those, do I?

In first gear (sport mode) I get the green ring at 4000RPM and yellow ring at 5000. In second gear, I get green at 5000 and did not get far enough to see yellow. In 3rd gear, I did not get to 5K RPM before discretion set in.

I experimented with this a little bit today. Which on rain-wet roads made for a little squirelliness. I suppose there are slow ways to get to high RPM, but I don't need to know about those, do I?

In first gear (sport mode) I get the green ring at 4000RPM and yellow ring at 5000. In second gear, I get green at 5000 and did not get far enough to see yellow. In 3rd gear, I did not get to 5K RPM before discretion set in.

Maybe that's the reason sometimes I don't get the shift lights- I wonder if there's a certain throttle threshold for the lights to be active

Has anybody had inconsistency with their gear change indicator lights? In both sport and track modes I have found that the shift lights do not always work. I believe the engine temp is a parameter and it's always up to temp, so wondering if anyone has noticed similar behavior and honed in on what causes it.
Same. No idea when or why they choose to show up on my car. Sometimes I will see it on a 1>2 shift but I never seem to see it if I am in 2nd gear already for a 2>3 shift. I am not looking for them anyway. I usually shift based on sound anyway.

I'm pretty sure the ring goes from green to yellow to red as you rush towards redline. The challenge is every time it happens, I'm kinda busy managing everything and not staring at it
I have also heard, though I did not verify, that even with the 6MT, if you mess with the transmission setting in MY MODE, it will affect when the green turns to yellow. Remember "trust but verify" :)

I have also heard, though I did not verify, that even with the 6MT, if you mess with the transmission setting in MY MODE, it will affect when the green turns to yellow. Remember "trust but verify" :)
I always panic a little bit when something on the dash flashes and I don't know what it signifies. Got to admit I'm still confused...(old fuddy duddy that I am)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back