Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Front Plate Paranoia

1684631165191.png

I’ve been looking of a tow hook mount for my ‘22 4BW. It seems like Amazon has them listed for every car other than mine. I was considering the suction cup inside the front window method (mine is resting in front of dash currently where it is illegible from outside vehicle) but the other day I saw a link on here to the sly bracket but it seems like it would sit directly in front of the intercooler and prevent airflow from traveling to the turbos. Any opinions on this? Does anyone know or use a tow hook adapter that works with the 4VBW?

I saw a link on here to the sly bracket but it seems like it would sit directly in front of the intercooler and prevent airflow from traveling to the turbos. Any opinions on this?

The OEM mount hangs down in front of the intercooler as well. My Sly Bracket mount is maybe 3/4" lower than stock.

link: OEM plate mount

link: my Sly Bracket

No noticable loss in performance I assume?

Top speed was reduced from 189 mph to 187 mph. (Kidding ...)

Real talk: I do not have the skill to use all the performance it has. I'm not tracking it, so it's not like I'm getting the thing heat-soaked or anything. It's fine.

You like the sly bracket? Did you get the optional leveling kit?

I like it mostly because I did not have to drill the bumper.

In the past I have always just drilled; it was no problem for me. But I am planning a move to a state that does not require a front plat. And I think the front of this car is gorgeous. so wanted the ability to remove it.

I got the leveling kit. I think it is a necessity for us.

I get what you are saying but sticking a solid surface which impedes airflow in front if the intercooler seems like it could be detrimental to the health and longevity of the turbos as well.

50 years of driving without a front plate in Texas and never got a ticket.

Received my first ticket in over 25 years earlier this year here in WA state. Cop didn't care at all about missing front plate (and wrote me for 5 over when I was definitely MORE...)

Over the last 25+ years of driving without a front plate, I've been ticketed only once. Many warnings however. I probably could have avoided the one ticket had I kept my mouth shut. My young and dumb mouth told the LEO that his ticket would cost me less than a new swiss cheesed front bumper. It was from L-Sportline that I didn't want to destroy. $75 later and I was on my way.

This video popped up on my YouTube feed

It looks like a nice option for those needing a front plate. All the screws are there regardless of the front splitter, so it should work on any 4BW I would think. It looks a little flimsy to me, so if you're going 100+ might consider removing it. Actually, for 100+ maybe remove all the plates 🤭

This video popped up on my YouTube feed

It looks like a nice option for those needing a front plate. All the screws are there regardless of the front splitter, so it should work on any 4BW I would think. It looks a little flimsy to me, so if you're going 100+ might consider removing it. Actually, for 100+ maybe remove all the plates 🤭
I use Mike’s Sto n Sho for my 2016 Z06. It held up well in upper triple digits, zero issues regarding performance. I liked it as easy to remove during washing.
I inquired for my 5BW and they didn’t have one yet. He was willing to use mine as example if I wanted to participate.
I installed Sly bracket instead with leveling kit and I was able to mimic where the factory location if it was installed on the bumper area. I’m not worried about any intercooler degradation. The 5BW temps and performance has been 100% fine. Also, Sly brackets have an excellent reputation and the owner was extremely responsive.

I’m sure negative comments will start flying again about front plates again, lol. Each to their own opinion, just stating my real experience with each mfg.

I have the Sto N Sho on my Miata & am very satisfied with it. no issues (though the Miata doesn't go as fast as a Blackwing would). If I can get a Blackwing, I will consider both this & the Sly bracket. No concerns about blocking airflow; it's far enough away from any "radiators".

I have the Sto n Sho as well -- it's a good, solid mount made specifically for the CT4-V Blackwing. I will probably throw the plate in the trunk unless pulled over though. It just looks so much better without (duh).

I had a Sto n Sho for my Lexus GS350 too, and it required you to drill holes in the plastic underside of the car. It was a flimsy mount. This one for the Cadillac uses existing screws and holes, so no such flimsiness.

I have the Sto n Sho as well -- it's a good, solid mount made specifically for the CT4-V Blackwing. I will probably throw the plate in the trunk unless pulled over though. It just looks so much better without (duh).

I had a Sto n Sho for my Lexus GS350 too, and it required you to drill holes in the plastic underside of the car. It was a flimsy mount. This one for the Cadillac uses existing screws and holes, so no such flimsiness.
Got any pics? Of the mount, I mean.

I have run my front plate suctioned to the windshield for the past 10 years in Texas. My observation is that no local cop cares ever, but State Troopers routinely pull me over for it, although have never issued an actual citation.

After fiddling with it 8 times with diff positions, got the plate in the right area where it doesn’t set off parking sensors.

Attachments

• F0A35752-52A1-4B96-8E66-DED2C8126E73.jpeg
    F0A35752-52A1-4B96-8E66-DED2C8126E73.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
Another vote for the Sto n Sho. Easy installation and can take it off in seconds for car washes etc. I run a front plate as I don’t want the hassle of being pulled over.

So many people here mention running through car washes... I guess I'm in the minority that will never run any of my cars through a car wash and only hand wash, so no worry there. My Sly Brackets has enough room behind to hand wash, no problem.

I have the Sto n Sho on my 2016 Z06 and have to say no issues to date, great product! In that application, it looked and fit great. That car has the much hated 7sp tranny, so no extra trans cooler up front. At the time, they had not offered for the CT5VB.

I used Sly Brackets this time on my CT5VB as I wanted the plate to sit as close to where the factory designed & tested the plate mounting to be for the car. The mount is solid and great quality. I figure the Engineers/Designers got the front plate location figured out and so far, zero issues on my car, even with streak of 100F+ temps & 113F this past Sunday. Coupled with the extra heat from the auto tranny cooler up front, my car performed perfectly and temps were running very close to the same.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back