Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Front Plate Paranoia

Is keeping you front plate inside the car and behind the windshield any better than not having it at all? I'm in TX and the plates need to be outside. Can't see myself ruining the look of the car, but seems like it's giving the popos the right to pull you over any time.
As a retired Texas police officer I can say that the front plate must be displayed on the exterior of the vehicle, and is used all the time for "probably cause" stops..... My BW does not have a front plate and so far I have not been stopped........ Just remember, some police officers look for PC just to mess with people..... On a side note I was not one of those guys and one of the reasons I got out of law enforcement..

I've driven a car without a front plate in TX for 7 years and have never been pulled over for it. I'd be shocked if anyone gets pulled over solely for no front plate in any major TX city, but small towns are a different story. A friend of mine was pulled over in the middle of the day near Palestine solely for the missing front plate (and received a ticket for it).

Just remember, some police officers look for PC just to mess with people..... On a side note I was not one of those guys and one of the reasons I got out of law enforcement..
Haha. So you could have more time to mess with people on the forums. :LOL:

Haha. So you could have more time to mess with people on the forums. :LOL:
Damn right, you are now being detained and I will need to see your ID!

Judge Dredd GIF

Gamer Cryptocurrency GIF by The New Resistance

I know it fits the CT5BW. Not sure on the ct4

Here's a post showing it installed on mine: linky link

Like Billy said above, you need the leveling kit as well.

PSA: I would not take this through an automated car wash. I would worry about a roller grabbing it and yanking it off..

I bought a license plate bracket that is mounted on a stalk that screws into the receptacle for the toe hook. It sits forelornly in my truck 7/24. I hope if I ever get stopped the officer will let me grab it out of the trunk and screw it on. My wife isn't as adventuresome so we have hers actually mounted using the tow hook mount.

Texas DPS are patrolling heavy in Austin these days. I purchased one of those stow and show brackets and it kinda sucks. I’ll be keeping mine in the trunk too, just in case.

Been pulled over about 5x running no plate over the last 10+ years. Plenty of warnings but no tickets. It probably would have been cheaper for me just to receive and pay a ticket than buying this thing.

IMG_3972.jpeg

Years ago in my GTO I got pulled over after passing a slow moving car and quickly getting up to about 90 mph. I offered my thoughts that I wanted to pass and get back in my lane as quickly as possible, "it seems like a safer plan officer". He had already decided he was going to write a ticket, but after he chuckled at my reasoning chose the lack of a front plate rather than arresting me for going 35 over the speed limit.

Don't waste any time on a front plate.

First, its a sacrilege to scar the front of the vehicle.

Second, you're never going to get in trouble for it. Texas "requires" front plates, but even when pulled over for other things, I've never been given a hard time for lacking a front plate.

Forgiveness is WAY better than permission.............
I've been cited 4 times in Texas over the years. Not in the BW yet, but in previous cars. It's always been a "fix it" ticket, so I just double sided tape the plate on in the past. I'll probably end up ordering a tow hook bracket for the BW, just in case it ever comes up, but I'm not putting it on until I get cited for it.

As a retired Texas police officer I can say that the front plate must be displayed on the exterior of the vehicle, and is used all the time for "probably cause" stops..... My BW does not have a front plate and so far I have not been stopped........ Just remember, some police officers look for PC just to mess with people..... On a side note I was not one of those guys and one of the reasons I got out of law enforcement..
I am also a retired police officer and I agree with everything #Tall Steve said! That being said, I drove my Shelby GT for nine years without a front plate and I've driven my 911 without one for three. I've not been stopped once (knock on wood).

Last edited:
Years ago in my GTO I got pulled over after passing a slow moving car and quickly getting up to about 90 mph. I offered my thoughts that I wanted to pass and get back in my lane as quickly as possible, "it seems like a safer plan officer". He had already decided he was going to write a ticket, but after he chuckled at my reasoning chose the lack of a front plate rather than arresting me for going 35 over the speed limit.
He definitely did you a favor there!!

I live in NJ and both my C8 and BW have no front plate. I have never been bothered by the police, who have bigger issues to deal with. I expect if I was pulled over for something else, it might be mentioned. Be respectful when pulled over and having no front plate provides the opportunity to be sited for a less serious citation.

Some people are luckier than others as I’ve have my share of fix-it tickets and I’m sure it varies from City to City. Around Katy where I live, stopped every time just for the front plate and most but not all ended in tickets.

I’ve also gotten them from DPS outside of Austin on hwy 130. No other reason for the stop, but for the lack of front plate. I could also care less what others think my car looks like, I just want to not give ANY reason for the stop unless I deserve it, like caught speeding. It would have been cheaper to just buy the front brackets over the long run. I’m always courteous and professional even if they are not so much and I understand the LEO is just doing his job.

I used Sly Brackets with the level kit and they make a great bracket for the 5BW. Here’s a couple of quick pics of mine mounted up front.

I’m happy to not even think about it anymore and focus on driving. 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    839.8 KB · Views: 82
From my experience, in my area of northeastern NJ, if you have a civic mustang or camaro, you have a much much higher chance of getting stopped for no front plate in comparison to a BMW tesla or Cadillac. Like Hi Ho Silver said, they have bigger issues to deal with.

From my experience, in my area of northeastern NJ, if you have a civic mustang or camaro, you have a much much higher chance of getting stopped for no front plate in comparison to a BMW tesla or Cadillac. Like Hi Ho Silver said, they have bigger issues to deal with.
Honestly it's much more about how any of the vehicles mentioned are driven than it is the vehicles themselves.

Somehow someway (maybe mandatory NJ law), a front plate bracket was included in my build.

Is it installed at the factory or dealer? My sales consultant is very responsive, I want to know if I need to give her a heads up to not have the front plate installed during the PDI.

Thanks for any insight/experience.

My car is finally up on dealer website and the stock photo is cringe worthy.
Tell them throw the mount in the truck. It is a V specific mount. Tell them you are considering a stealth mount

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back